What's Hot? What

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by JayGoCamper, Jul 6, 2019.

1. JayGoCamper

JayGoCamper Member

From reading here, I have learned that it is wise to use an IR thermometer to check the temperature of the tires and wheel hubs during stops along the way. I can do that, but what is the "alert" temperature? And what should I do if I reach it?

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

The answer is complex. Ambient temperature, road temperature, rim temperature all play a part in tire temperature.
    A rule of thumb might be around 125°F. If they are too hot to touch check air pressure and slow down. Check the hub temperature while you are at it.

generok likes this.
  3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I check mine before leaving, then on the road
    I compare the wheel temps.On all wheels If there is a large discrepancy then I have a good idea
    which one /s could be a problem

4. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Same as above. I touch all the hubs everytime I stop. If they are warm, all is good. Hot, then I need to look further into the cause.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I do the same by touch. Mine dont run hot, but they are warm. Not very scientific, but so far so good. Every stop i check them and look over the pup. Additionally when i leave a rest area, i do a walk around in case someone undoes one of my roof buckles. It adds time to the drive , but less if i can prevent a worse problem.

HappyTraveler, Raycfe and bheff like this.
  6. hayyward

hayyward Active Member

Good to get out and stretch your legs. At our halfway stop, I'll circle the PUP and TV a few times to get the blood moving.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  7. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Same. Touch hubs and tires at EVERY stop. If they are beyond warm, you have a problem.

8. JayGoCamper

JayGoCamper Member

Thanks, all. It's good to know that warm is okay. I will definitely touch the hubs, and do the walk around to check latches, lights and safety chains. I had my tow bar put on today, so tomorrow I get to do driveway practice, pulling forward and backing up. I'm so freakin' excited!

HappyTraveler likes this.