What's in your tool kit ?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by countrymom, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Adirondack PUP

Adirondack PUP Active Member

Or Gaffers Tape. That stuff is amazing.

2. Justin91

Justin91 Member

I second the gorilla tape, We also carry some gorilla glue and adhesive as well. Great stuff!

3. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

I'm always adding to mine all the time. Lately we've been using 2 part, 5 minute epoxy around here to fix a few things up. I think I'll be putting one of those in the kit as well. You never know what gets broken and will need to go back together that can't be done with tape or rope. Remember to take it out before winter so it doesn't freeze next year in storage.

4. Ryanm

Ryanm Member

The usuals and some for electric work, also tarp tape and a grommet set.

I've got a small pouch with a stubby ratchet and appropriate sockets & allen keys for working between the TV and camper- hooking up the battery, mounting the propane, any bike racks or whatnot. That pouch lives in the camper, but moves to under the driver's seat for trips.

5. carriermnky

carriermnky Member

[:D] a recovery strap?

6. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

I have a Craftsman 154 piece mechanics tool set in the case. A 1/2" breaker bar with 6" extension and 13/16" deep socket. the 13/16" deep socket is for removing the spare from the rack. The factory lug wrench isn't deep enough. Cordless drill for the Socket Genie. Medium sized Channel locks, wire snips and needle nose pliers.

7. dranrab

dranrab Member

I am in the process of setting up a tool kit. It'll have much of what has previously been discussed. I bought a basic scissor jack. I'll keep it in the front storage box. I am also a firm believer in Gorilla Tape. Something I have not seen mentioned is a plug kit for flats. I can't tell you how many times a plug kit has saved the day. Very easy to use and can have you back on the road much more quickly than changing a spare. I come from a maritime and boating background. If you need to stop a leak, you'll discover you need to stop it when it is raining and the surfaces are wet. This is a marine putty that will bond and cure wet. I'll add some to my kit. http://www.starbrite.com/item/epoxy-putty-stick. I think everything else has been pretty well covered.

8. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Gonna need one of those small crappy air compressors to pump it back up. Plugs into the cigarette lighter. You can get them on sale for around $10 anywhere. They take a while to pump it back up, but it'll work in a pinch.

9. dranrab

dranrab Member

I keep a plugging kit and a decent compact air compressor in my TV.

10. 4xMeteor

4xMeteor Active Member

When I had the pup, our trips were for extended lengths and a good distance from civilization (>1hr) on old logging roads - so I had a significant amount of tools and extra parts. I also did some rockcrawlin' while out so I had spare parts for the Jeep too (driveline, steering arm, etc...) . But we just picked up our NTU TT, so don't have anything in it yet - not even a extra fuss:(