WHATS REALLY THE BEST STABILIZER JACK?

Discussion in 'Leveling Your Camper' started by Raycfe, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I have had all three of the common stabilizer jacks.
    (A) the kind you fold down and put a bar in for adjustment.
    (B) The single arm crank down jack
    (C ) The scissor jack
    Not on the list are jack stands.

A) you have to reach under a pull down and adjusts ..... maybe light duty only one mounting point.
    Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 4.50.28 PM.png
    B) you will need jack pads, but you just crank them down ....... has a long rail that mounts to the trailer and the lifting arms are at an angle (does that make a wider stance?). The pads add a nice contact point?
    Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 4.51.01 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 4.51.15 PM.png
    C) Just crank them down. Seems to me sometimes they hang down lower of the trailer when traveling.
    Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 4.28.03 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 4.34.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 4.34.56 PM.png
    Jack stands are sturdy , who wants to lay on the ground. Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 4.31.18 PM.png

Every one has it's faults and the trailers wheels need to cocked to prevent the trailer from moving with all of them.

What do you guys and gals think is better and why?

I replaced my (b) type jacks (mainly because they didn't have a socket end) with C) scissor jacks but I think the scissor jacks hang lower, smaller pad to the ground and have a wobble to them. So I don't know what's better.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

How the hell did you bend the jack? I level the camper then put down the stabilizers. I usally put down a smaller board under the stabilizer. It should go down stright with no strain on it. The only way i can see bending it is, a damage from running into things, not leveling the camper first( and it would have to be a very uneven campsite) or moving the camper with the stabilizers deployed. The scissor jacks are the only ones ive ever known. Since they use the same system as a car jack, i vote for them. My camper doesn't move at all when its set up corectly. Level side to side, chock both sides, level front to rear, deploy stabs ( while doing this i make sure the chocks are tight.)Done.

3. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

My Apache had the A kind. They were quick, easy and worked well.

My TT has the B kind. They work just fine.

4. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

B works well, we use them with bed lifts from Ikea, cheaper than bulky plastic pads, and they nest for stowage

5. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

I started with the aluminum stack jacks. They work well, but are a pain to store and setup. I replaced all 4 with type B BALs and love them. I plan on cutting some slots in an old spark plug socket at some point to use a drill to deploy. With the sand pads installed I’ve had no issues with uneven ground. I went with them over type C scissor jacks exactly because of the ground clearance when stowed. I was afraid to have them hang down so far.

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I have the “b” kind on my current camper and had the “a” kind on my old camper. On my old camper the pull down jacks tended to get stuck and required a lot of fiddling and even had them sometime comedown on their own which caused it to bend a little which then made it 10x harder to come down out of the stowed position. As far as my current camper jack the only complaint I have is the squeak can get gosh darn noisy when deploying. Even sprayed an entire can of drylube on them and it only helped a little. I try not to over extend the jacks and always keep extra blocks under the pads especially on looser ground. Never had a problem with them and as long as I stow them all the way up never had them come down automatically. So I much prefer my current system.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

I have scissor jacks. You're supposed to get the trailer as level as possible first. Any final little tweaks can be made with the jacks. Your diagram of the jack bending is extreme. You'll never try to park a trailer on that slope. I can see it's the point you're trying to make though. The scissor jacks are not a perfect mechanism, they have some slop in the joints and the steel will flex a little without damage. No real problem there.

8. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

I prefer the scissor Jack's but loved the automatic Jacks on my old TT. Push a button and they drop down and snug up.

9. generok

generok Well-Known Member

PUP had "A" type, which can be prone to getting a little gunked up with road grime. I took them out every season and sprayed with graphite, but by the 3d trip, I could feel the grit again. I also never had the approved "bar", but I always had a stout pry-driver that I used. Eh, they work.

TT has "C" type scissor jacks. With a socket in a 20V drill, they are way easier to deploy and retract without having to get down under the rig, but then again, the TT body is mounted above the tires, so it sits much higher anyway. Bec

If I could have my way, I'd go for the electric auto stabilizers, which operate more like "B" type, but the expense isn't enough to get me off bottom dead center on that item.