What's that smell?

tzmartin

Not here for a long time but here for a good time!
Sep 9, 2015
Clayton, Georgia
So we pulled into our great site at Skidaway Island State Park in Savannah GA and started setting up. Occasionally I detected an odor that I thought was the swamp. Soldiering on, the smell went away, but then it would come back. I wondered if it was the dumpster station, which was about 100 yards away. Then the smell would go away. Then it came back, WTH! Is the dump station (which was about 200 yards away) emitting fumes?

Come to find out, the previous camper at our site let their dog or dogs poop around the areas near the trees. Disgusting. We had already set up, so my kids, wife, and I went on poop patrol. 10 doggie bags of sh-- were collected and thrown away. The smell is gone! I'm sure it was no one on this forum, but just a reminder. Pick up after your dang dog!!!

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
Gross. Some people are so inconsiderate. Sadly a lot of pet owners in my neighborhood don't pick up after theirs either. They always say, im not on someone's lawn. Well yeah you are, just because it's classified as common area doesn't mean it's your dogs personal potty spot and you don't clean up. Same type of reasoning I see at the campground too. [}:)] or lack thereof.

generok

Super Active Member
Feb 7, 2013
Anchorage, AK
This is one of my pet peeves (pun intended) at CGs... my other is cutting through my campsite. One of our trips last year, we were at a very nice, but full of families commercial CG. Dozens of kids were running around playing, as were their loose dogs (which drove my dogs crazy). Now, I'm actually a fan of loose dogs if they're social, but we're really fastidious about cleaning up after our dogs on, or in off leash areas. So, we kept a clean site, and the morning we're getting ready to pack up, two of the loose dogs use our site to go, and the tweens walking with them just walked off. So, if I don't clean it up, it looks like I'm irresponsible with my pets, but if I do, I foster further "let someone else do it" behavior (plus is was right in the way!). So, I clean it up and hitch up and leave kind of fuming for 10-15 minutes.

Ugh, so frustrating. I feel ya!

Toedtoes

Super Active Member
May 28, 2018
California
I have said this before. Once upon a time "walking the dog so it could go potty" was not a thing. Your dog did its business in your yard and you walked it to get exercise or get somewhere.

At some point, that changed to "go walk the dog so it can potty". Which means dogs are being taken to other people's property to do their business purposefully.

At that creates problems. First, the dog can't go potty without being walked. No quick "go potty" and come back in.

Second, even if you clean up, people see dog owners bringing their dogs to "my yard" to do their business. Even if it's not actually on my property, they see you walk your dog away from where you live to where I live so they can [email protected]

It's extremely uncivilized and rude when you think about it. If you won't let your dog do its thing on or near your own property, why would you expect others to be OK with it.

I just lost Moose-dog and Bat-dog Sunday night. Moose-dog was just old. Bat-dog most likely had a brain tumor and went from being healthy to dying within a week. But even to the end, I could let them out back and say "go potty" and they would go and come right back in. That makes it real easy when camping to keep their business confibed and picked up.

I'll also say that if your dog is loose and you are sitting at your camp, you are NOT picking up its poop regardless of your saying otherwise.

Toedtoes

Super Active Member
May 28, 2018
California
Oh, I'll add, the best way I've found to deal with these people is when you see their dog go piop and they aren't reaching for their baggie? Pull yours out and say "don't you just hate it when the one time you forget your baggies the dog just HAS to poop? Here have one of mine" and hand them the baggie.

Doing this, you aren't accusing them of being bad people, you aren't getting their backs up (so they justify to themselves being aggressive), and you are suggesting you do it too. The result is most often, they take the baggy, pick it up, and don't go near your campsite again. They save face as long as they pick up the poop. But they won't come back near you because if they don't have a baggy next time, they can't justify it to themselves. It's rather funny watching them avoid you the rest of your stay.

A-Ranger12

Feb 25, 2020
Western NY
That's downright rude of the previous site occupants. I love camping with my dogs, and make sure their business gets bagged. Enough people start leaving the dog poop on the ground, and mid-season nobody else can bring a pet.

Jimbow

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Nov 30, 2012
We've had enough run in with campground dogs that given the opportunity we will book at a no pet campground. It's not the dog's fault, they just have not been trained to be around people.

Raycfe

Waterford Ct.
Oct 3, 2007
Waterford, Ct
We walk our dog all the time ....he loves to hike. And we always pickup after him. One thing that does puzzle me is people will bag their dogs poop and then leave the bag!!!!!!! Is there a dog poop fairly that will come pick it up That we don't know about?

Now a true funny story. We were on a trail going to the overlook to Lake Superior this summer. We were stopped on the trail ...so much to see ...... and soon we had about 6 others trying to see what we were looking at ..... When asked what .... I told them. "our dog taking a crap" everyone laughed and went down the trail to the lake.

SueBeeHoney70

Jun 22, 2021
Michigan
I've never been a confrontational person, but the dog poo thing is something I'll speak up about. I have one of "those dogs" who thinks other animals' waste is his own personal buffet. How kind for them to leave little snacks to sustain him on his walks, right? [;{}] I don't want him picking up whatever diseases other animals may be carrying, so our walks are usually me on high alert & scanning the path ahead for any potential "snacks" he might grab. Once he gets them in his mouth, there's no getting him to drop it, so I have to be proactive.

I had a neighborhood resident walking her dog every day and letting him do his duty in my yard or my neighbor's - every day, 7 days a week. I finally stepped out one day when I saw her coming & true to form, her dog did his business right then and there, so she had to stop. I greeted her politely & offered her a bag to clean up after her dog.
Her: "I don't think anyone actually does that!"
Me: "Actually, yes we do. All of us who walk our dogs around here take bags with us when we go, pick up after them, bring it home & throw it away."
Her: (sighing) "Fine. I'll be back with a bag later."

She did return & clean up after her dog & now has a bag in hand when she goes by. Squeaky wheel gets the grease, in this case.

firepit

Super Active Member
Feb 26, 2020
So we pulled into our great site at Skidaway Island State Park in Savannah GA and started setting up. Occasionally I detected an odor that I thought was the swamp. Soldiering on, the smell went away, but then it would come back. I wondered if it was the dumpster station, which was about 100 yards away. Then the smell would go away. Then it came back, WTH! Is the dump station (which was about 200 yards away) emitting fumes?

Come to find out, the previous camper at our site let their dog or dogs poop around the areas near the trees. Disgusting. We had already set up, so my kids, wife, and I went on poop patrol. 10 doggie bags of sh-- were collected and thrown away. The smell is gone! I'm sure it was no one on this forum, but just a reminder. Pick up after your dang dog!!!
Sorry about that...We are new at camping and thought it was normal operating procedure!
I am kidding...bags and the pooper scooper always go with us[:D]

WrkrBee

Super Active Member
May 23, 2018
South Carolina
I've never been a confrontational person, but the dog poo thing is something I'll speak up about.
Last trip there were three bags of crap, one by a bike rack, one by a bench, and one by a trail, that were never picked up. We were sitting on the beach the last day, and a woman was "walking" her dog. Twice, the leash would get tangled around his legs, he was jumping around trying to get free, and she just kept walking. He was trying to get out of the surf, but nope that wasn't going to happen. He took a dump on the beach, and she covered it up with her foot. Wife would not let me address the situation. I probably would have rubbed her nose in it.

Rod Melotte

Apr 6, 2021

You know that really pisses me off as a dog owner. I’m sorry that happened to you and it’s embarrassing. If a human does not 100% of the time have a bag or even be aware of what their dog is doing they should not have one,

BillyMc

Super Active Member
Mar 25, 2018
South Carolina
One of the grandsons wants a dog. Not happening because he'll not be cleaning up after it nor feeding it without being reminded every day. The bigger reason is camping. We go places that dogs aren't allowed when camping meaning someone would have to stay at the camp with the dog. At 10 years old it isn't going to be him. On the camping trips that are strictly camping it would be fine, but others we would have to rely on friends or board the dog while gone.

bols2Dawall

S.W. Ontario
May 19, 2010
Lasalle Ontario
One of the grandsons wants a dog. Not happening because he'll not be cleaning up after it nor feeding it without being reminded every day. The bigger reason is camping. We go places that dogs aren't allowed when camping meaning someone would have to stay at the camp with the dog. At 10 years old it isn't going to be him. On the camping trips that are strictly camping it would be fine, but others we would have to rely on friends or board the dog while gone.

Yep kids don't understand what a MAJOR commitment it is having a dog & i've seen too many parents cave in to little Johnnies pleading

theseus

Living the Darkside...
Silver Supporting Member
Feb 6, 2007
Centerville, OH
No quick "go potty" and come back in.

I trained my dog to go on the command "Go Potty". She will do number 1 within 10 seconds of the command which might I say is great for travel. Number 2 takes a bit of a walk around and time, though.

If you own a dog it is your responsibility to clean up after it. No discussion...