Whats the appeal?

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by Family Travels, Jan 11, 2021.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

That's painting all campgrounds with a very broad brush. We've been camping - in campgrounds and backpacking - for more than 30 years. Your choice may be to avoid campgrounds at all costs, but for us, they fit our needs and wishes, most of the time. There are some we would not return to. Some we go to are really pretty remote, one of our favorites is 45 minutes or so from the nearest town, no power, no cell service, etc. We don't boondock for many reasons, among them so many of the areas we like are being trampled by those that do. [in a USFS area of AZ we have not yet explored, I just saw a closure of at-large camping for the next two years, because it has been so over-used.]
    On many trips, we choose campgrounds by the places we want to explore. Mather Campground at South Rim of Grand Canyon is an example. Mix of close to pretty well separated sites, dry camping, in normal times often pretty busy. [Last October, we were among the 2 or 3 sites occupied in our section of a loop, around 17 sites.] Is it remote? No, but it is within walking distance, or a short drive, of the "big hole in the ground". Not going to miss that to drive miles to get there from a more remote spot.

2. dave123

dave123 freedom is not just another word

make your family be pioneers for a weekend, build fires, think how to survive on your own , its fun to see if you got it in you. no lap tops, make up your own games . don't go crazy with it but can you do without modern crap,

tombiasi and Mark CASTELLANI like this.
  3. Family Travels

Family Travels Member Gold Supporting Member

After talking to Arlyn Aronson a couple of days ago we're now planning a trip to the UP in Michigan to boon dock. My only concern with boon docking is finding a water source. I plan to keep some collapsible 5 gallon containers to refill the camper but I want to make sure that I can get water.

CrazyCamper likes this.
  4. CrazyCamper

CrazyCamper New Member

Well, to start with, I have electricity in my PUP when boondocking. Solar is amazing, keeps the batteries charged with zero issues. So we have lights and a radio and all that. We also have heat, running water, and heated water, so it's pretty far into the "glamping" realm at this point!

I camp to get away from people. We boondock because I want to be alone when I'm camping. I want to be out in nature and away from electronics and the world. I'd still tent camp in "boondocking" areas except sleeping on the ground got to be a little rough. Hence why we upgraded to the pup. The heater also makes for a longer camping season. We camp at around 9-10k feet most of the time, so it gets pretty cold in the spring and fall. But I enjoy the pace of gathering wood, making a fire, cooking over it, reading in a hammock, sipping whiskey all day. It's relaxing to not be around other people for me.

Camping in what is essentially a glorified trailer park makes no sense to me. Why go "camping" if you're going to have all the amenities of home? You just have an expensive hotel that you haul with you at that point. In fact, the only time I'll stay at an RV Park is when we're travelling a long distance and I don't know the area along the way. It's basically a hotel at that point, and I often opt for a hotel any way so I don't have to set up the pup after travelling all day. I suppose there is a community aspect, but for me that defeats the purpose of camping.

5. Family Travels

Family Travels Member Gold Supporting Member

I haven't stayed at any RV resorts. We typically do state parks. As much as Illinois is terrible at running anything, they do a great job with the state parks. Most are clean and spaced out. That's been our sole experience so far.

CrazyCamper and kitphantom like this.
  6. pudge

pudge Active Member

One trip to a place like Assateague Island, MD answers the question. But everyone is different.

7. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Beautiful. Where were these then? Looks like my neck of the woods? Wyoming?

8. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

It depends what part of the country you'er in. I would assume you are carrying a map of the area. Most good maps have public and private lands marked. The Forest Service maps we use are very clear on land ownership. No trespassing signs and locked gates are what you should avoid. We do exactly what you said. Drive down a dirt road till we find a nice spot. West of the Mississippi its much easier to find public land open to dispersed camping.

kitphantom likes this.
  9. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ Gold Supporting Member

We have dry camped in National Parks, small Ma & Pa campgrounds and camping resorts. It really comes down to what you plans are while camping. We do enjoy dry camping at NP's for the reason it a bit quieter. No electric so no AC units running, no Outside TVs on and never heard blaring music. As for really boondocking in the middle of nowhere, living here in Northern NJ you really don't have access to places like you do out west.

By the way, I am so jealous of Gladecreekwy of that really nice site he is camping on!!!!!!!!!

10. poppy65

poppy65 Member

For me it's two things, the first ie the challenge to see how comfortable I can make my wife and I the second is its quieter.
    Sometimes a campground is nice we enjoy meeting and making new friends.
    Whatever cocks your pistol go for it.

11. rhbowler

rhbowler New Member

How far from Lake Isabella is it? Looks great to me.

Russ

12. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I won't "like" your post because it is just too sad. How awful!

My sibling's lab took off and jumped into a runoff canal - very very fast moving water and curved cement sides that were impossible to climb up or down. Fortunately, she and her friends were able to find a tree that hung over the canal below where the dog was and were able to reach down and grab him by his collar as he was flying down. 80+ lb dog being yanked up into a tree by two people hanging on to a big branch - they were [email protected] lucky.

My own Bat-dog, who had her leash attached, caught scent of a deer. I suddenly heard her tearing through the brush away from me. Suddenly it was utter silence. She had gotten her collar stuck on an old wire fence and couldn't move at all. She could have easily choked herself had I not been so close and went after her as soon as she took off.

rescamilla likes this.
  13. Toedtoes

Please remember that everyone has their own preferences. None are wrong and none are right. For those that prefer campgrounds, there is nothing wrong with it. They are not slumming, they are not wasting their time.

There are many variations of campgrounds. They all have their pros and cons.

Personally, I stay at hookup campgrounds maybe 2-5% of the time - but those times I choose to stay at them? Thos hookups make a huge difference for me.

Fish N Farm and kitphantom like this.
  14. rescamilla

rescamilla Member

Wow, I remember reading "The Pit and The Pendulum" like, 100 years ago....LOL!!!

Toedtoes likes this.
  15. rescamilla

rescamilla Member

Check out these roads in Mojave CA. A typical car can drive these roads:

Family Travels likes this.
  16. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

I will only camp at state parks or boondock. I dispose parking lot camping with awning over sewer connections. With pup you hear everything. Go in the woods and it’s other dimension. On par with backpacking camping as far as you can get back there. Sure a pup but feels like a hammock by the creek. Love love love it

17. Allen R Glass

Allen R Glass New Member

A few years ago we camped in a high mountain meadow right outside Colorado's Flattops Wilderness. Sitting there watching the last light of sunset fade from the sky and a billion stars come out, when two owls started hunting the meadow. They zoomed over just 3 feet above our heads .. twice. I've never had an experience like that in a campground.

This year because of COVID we wound up in a giant RV parking lot, because it was the only way to see a sick family member. My reaction was much like yours, "what's the point?"

Different strokes for different folks, thank god.

18. Toedtoes

Great story. This memory was a radio production of it. One of the local stations produced it. It just happened to air on a night when we lost power. I can still remember sitting in the living room with candles hearing the swish swish swish of the pendulum. Still get chills.

19. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

We had an young elk try to stick its nose into our doorway last fall, in a campground, a little too close for us! We watched the eclipse a couple of years ago from our campsite in Colorado, after canceling out from totality in Wyoming due to wildfires. So, it's possible to see things in many places. Not saying one or the other style of camping is better, just different tools, just as we consider that we're still camping in the small TT, as we were in tents, popups, and backpacking (my husband still does that, I can't)

Toedtoes likes this.
  20. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

Here's what we use for water when camping: LifeStraw Mission - The Long Lasting Water Purifier For Groups and Emergency Preparedness
    Our favorite campsite is near a spring. We fill the bag, hang it from a tree and let it filter into a 7 gal water jug. In my experience, it works best with a rigid water jug. I've had a collapsible jug roll over and spill as the water was filtering in.

If your dispersed campsite is within reasonable distance from a campground with drinking water, you could fill your water jugs there. Out here many FS campgrounds no longer provide drinking water (no staff and no budget to do the water testing), so check with FS to make sure that is an option.

Family Travels likes this.