What's the coldest temperature you have camped in?

Discussion in 'Cold Weather Camping' started by Kamper0706, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Kamper0706

Kamper0706 New Member

Hi everyone, I just came back from camping on the West side of Michigan this past weekend. The guage in my Jeep said 44 degrees this afternoon. I was cold, and kept the outdoor activities to daylight hours. Kept snug inside the camper at night with the furnace kicking.
    I have camped in Ohio and New York at the end of February beginning of March in past years (son's college hockey tournys). There was snow on the ground! If my memory is correct, I spent those trips mostly in the hockey rink or inside the camper, I didn't do much outside at the campground. I was curious what winter or cold weather camping activities other portal members enjoy.

2. tntom

tntom Member

My wife and I camped at Elkmont in Tennessee this past week on Wednesday night and Thursday night. I'm guessing that the temperature dropped below 40 on Wednesday night. We had to use the furnace to warm up the camper before we went to bed for the night and again early in the morning before we got up. That was the coldest to date that we have camped in. Thursday night was much warmer, probably no colder than 60. Go figure.

3. nfisherman

nfisherman Member

Long ago, before I knew better, I camped out when the temperature got down to 0. I was with some other guys and we all wanted to prove that we could do it. We were properly prepared and we enjoyed it. Even so, I don't think I need to do it again. I've also camped in my popup while deer hunting and the temperature got down to 25 at night.

4. Mosbyranger

Mosbyranger Onward, thru the fog...

-10 degrees after a snowstorm just south of Gunnison CO in the first week of November. Please don't think it was even close to enjoyable stepping out of the PUP at 5 am to chase elk. That was one of the times I remember thinking that I could be at home in a warm bed with a warm shower and warm food. Then the sun came up and everything was OK again.
    MR

5. jmackeral

jmackeral Happy Camper in Northern MN

First year we had the pup we took it deer hunting, was a beautiful 50 degree day in early Nov. when we went to bed, had furnace and another big electric heater going. During the night temp dropped to about 15 degrees, wind came up from the north and it started snowing, you could not even tell we had heaters going. I woke up to find snow blowing in on my head, DS 14 and Grampa set up pup and forgot to hook the bungee cords underneath on the north end of pup. So a quick trip out to fasten those helped. Luckily we had great sleeping bags, so we were snug until we crawled out in the morning. We were also in my brothers driveway, so needless to say we slept in the house the 2nd night! Decided anything below 30 was to chilly!

6. nickz

nickz New Member

I've done some cold weather camping (mid 20s *F), but that was in a tent. My BlackCat heaters kept the inside in the 40s. When I left, I got my gear packed in the bed of the truck and then had a heckuva time getting the cover to stretch over it - the cover shrunk and I couldn't get it to fit.

I'm not too sure I'd like having the pup out when it gets near freezing. I'd be afraid that the canvas & plastic windows would get brittle and crack when I tried to close it up.

-nickz

7. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Last January I was camping in a tent and the temp at night went down to +5 degrees (F). Did not bother me to much, just wish I had a softer bed!!

8. You-And-I

You-And-I Ozarks Ɯberland Basecamp

The coldest we camped was last year at Hawn State Park in Missouri. It was 18 Degrees in the day time. When we would un-zip the tent door on the camper, the moisture would crystalize inside the tent and fall like snow crystals. You know its cold when you pour yourself a cup of coffee and before you can drink it its already cold. [:>(] It was time to head to the local breakfast buffet [:D] and that is exactly what we did for some HOT breakfast and HOT coffee. Nothing better than camping! [;)]

9. golfusa99

golfusa99 New Member

Alan forgot to mention the fact that we cooked pizza on the propane grill one night. You had to eat the pizza right off the grill. When you removed the pizza from the grill and placed it on the table it would immediately return to it's frozen form [:)O]. That was a good time. A little bit cold but still a great time. Especially since we had the whole camp ground to ourselves [:D].

jeff

10. Bummer72

Bummer72 Lancaster, PA

It was about 20 deg. F. this morning. This was at French Creek State Park, PA, last December.
    [​IMG]

11. suprz

suprz may you never doubt yourself....

coldest i ever camped in was during my "tent" days, the temp was 1 degree [:O] on the digital thermometer, i thought it was broken [LOL]

12. 01YZF6

01YZF6 Dothan, AL

this past weekend it was 47 during the day and 34 overnight saturday. todays high while packing up was 49

13. tiedtc

tiedtc New Member

We went to Rock Cut State Park, (Rockford, IL) this weekend and it was snowing something fierce when we were setting up on Saturday. My wife and I looked at each other like we were nuts, but the kids were loving it. After the snow stopped it warmed up to somewhere in the low 40's. At night it got down to somewhere in the low 30's upper 20's I believe, as we didn't have a thermometer. Probably a good thing because we kept telling ourselves it was warmer than it probably was! [:)C]

14. Csea

Csea New Member

-40 Celcius.

No It didnt start at that temp. We went for the weekend (tent) It was warm the friday -10c, tonnes of blankets little heat packs. 1st night was good. Then the second night -40 we packed up and left... boy was that cold.

15. zjrog

zjrog Member

This past weekend. 1*F middle of the night. Windchill of -17*F most of the night...
    [​IMG]
    But it was fun, we slept in our Jeeps. Fairly cozy. Good food, good friends.

16. SmilinBeard

SmilinBeard Member

In college I wanted to try out my new down sleeping bag and hiked and snowshoed to a state park. It got below zero deg F. The park was closed because the roads within were not plowed. Since I had no alternative they let me set up camp within sight of the Ranger Station.

Since we got the pup in 08 we've gone out a week and then another time a weekend where the lows were around 26 F.

17. themanfromvan

themanfromvan Van, PA - Near The PA Wilds

Chapman State Park - April 29, 2005. It got down to 28 degrees that night. We ran out of propane at 4 AM. It was a fun weekend !!

[​IMG]

18. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Last fall we did some camping in the low 20's. Between the propane furnace and a ceramic heater, we were toasty.

19. Xolthrax

Xolthrax Franconia, Pa.

Franconia, Pa. Butter capital of the East
    Friday night of this year's French Creek Spring Rally! It got down to 17 degrees that night.

That is a valid concern, but if you keep the interior heated until you're ready to fold up, you should be OK.

20. Grim54

Grim54 St. Clair Shores, MI

Low to mid teens here.