What's the secret to getting sites?

Discussion in 'Reservation Systems' started by Aunt Ness, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Aunt Ness

Aunt Ness Member

I am trying to book at a VERY popular campground, Fishermen's in RI. Everything is always booked even a year from now. What is the secret to getting a site? Do I go on right at midnight? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Heady

Heady Active Member

You might want to see if they have walk in sites. Otherwise determine how far in advance they take reservations and as soon as the window opens make your resy. About the only other option would be to keep checking for cancellations, no shows and changes.

3. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Yes, the stroke of midnight is the key. BUT, be sure you know what time the reservation server is on! Just because the CG is in RI, doesn't mean the server isn't on the west coast or something.

We have to do that with Recreation.gov for some of the CGs here in Alaska.

4. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Well... I hate to be a smart alec but the secret to getting sites is not to try to go where everyone else goes. Try to find some small FCFS CGs in a state or national forest.

5. Aunt Ness

Aunt Ness Member

Again, I am thankful for the advice given on the portal. I tried at midnight, it wouldn't work, but it said to try at 8:00am. So, I did and I got it! Unstable-This is a state campground and unfortunately, everyone likes to go here. It's 5 minutes from the beach and has W/E.

6. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

Yup.....up here, we can only book 5 months in advance so on the day of i.e. Feb 15th to book a site for July 15th, we have to be online at 6:55am and have it ready to click "reserve" at 7am for a very popular cg. Otherwise we are outta luck!

Glad to hear you got it!

7. Rodger D.

Rodger D. New Member

Hola Yo'll

As I was reading the replies I must say The first reply of "Walk-In's/ Drive-Up's" always seems
    to me at most locations. The Marking Firm of reserve America looses $$$ on this - so they do
    not speak about this.

Then I got to the Third Reply and I fully agree with this too.

If you are a "I'll be there on Saturday" type of person - forget about the first reply.

8. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

I agree with you that this is a well managed site and cheap for what they offer.
    Does "RV only" include popups?

9. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

We go to the Rally in september every year at Fishermens. You will find Area 1 is always booked solid during peak season. People book a year out, and many will book the maximum window as well, perhaps to get a week that they want before it is available, then cancel it down, or just go for the full time.

Area 2 and 3 are usually available... though I do book our site for next year's rally the day we get back from there each year. Before June 1, you'll find 2 day openings during peak season, that you cannot book. RI has a 3-day policy during peak season, and doesn't open up the "leftovers" until June 1. Very annoying, especially if there is only an opening of 2 days, and you want it.

How soon are you looking to go? If this season, you may have to do 1 site Fri, another Sat, etc.. We love it there. It's not our typical style of park, but you can't beat the location.

Also, they are re-doing the infrastructure there, so they have blocked off sites that would normally be bookable, to be able to relocate those that they need to relocate due to the construction.

10. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

Also, note that you have to be self contained (bathroom, shower on board) in order to book Area 1, as there are no bathrooms down there. They used to require "no canvas" until Reserve America took over. Have I seen people book with popups, and walk up to the other restroom to shower? Yes.

11. webhannet

webhannet Member

WHY IS EVERYTHING RESERVED? Yes, be the first to call at Midnight.

Another bit of information: Some people book favorite sites for EVERY WEEKEND of the season - then they cancel when they don't want to go. Reserve America now has a fee to slow this practice down, but it's still worth it to some.

I doubt they allow one person to make bookings for others, but there are probably ways around that too.

12. mikem12188

mikem12188 Member

We have run into the same problem here, so this year my wife and I are trying some new and different campgrounds. We're hoping to find another "jewel in the rough." [PU]

13. sawdusty

sawdusty San Antonio

That means no tent camping I believe.

14. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

So, what if you want to reserve for a week, (say 8/7-8/12). Do you reserves at the beginning of the reservation date, 6 mo. or so in advance, and then every day until 8/12? They tack on reservation fees. And when 8/7 is available to reserve, 8/8-12 is not. What do you do?

15. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

When to reserve depends on the specific campground, or overseeing entity (state, federal, private, etc.).
    We encounter:
    places that allow reserving past the X# of months window, as long as the reservation begins within it
    places that count the window from the last day of the reservation
    a few that the entire reservation needs to be within the window

My impression from talking to campers and hosts is that, in many areas, camping is becoming even more popular than just a couple of years ago. It actually started becoming difficult for us to find campsites reliably in some areas we camp back in the early '90s. That's one of the reasons we slowly converted to mostly reserved camping.