What's Up With the Generators?

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by Jaybirdypb, May 31, 2013.

1. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

That fine if she camping in a park that allows generators and so is the 6K construction generator. I will not camp in a CG that does not have a non-generator section before I check out the CG for generators.

We bring our phones, laptops, readers, etc. During the summer or group 31 battery will last us over a week without recharging. That using the camper lights (led), running the water pump and recharging the phones and and laptops.

I like to hear the birds singing, squires playing and the wind blowing the leaves. Not the hum of a honda, HY2000S, construction or RV generator. I have moved to a different CS or CG when someone moves in with a generator.

But our goal for camping is not about a cheaper hotel room, but to enjoy nature and relax. Generators don't allow me to achieve my goal.

2. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

That's fine, except you won't always know who has generators, and if you are in a popular campground with reservations that are site specific, you won't have much of a choice.

3. Talonman

Talonman New Member

We bought it for the A/C, I have never been to a campground that had a generator going so I really don't know. I think as time goes on you will see guys with DB meters in CG's and the big ugly generators will not be allowed anymore.

4. tenttrailer

We will walk through the sections that allow generators. At one national park that section was so noisy that we had to get out of the section asap. we could not hear each other without raising our voice.

So during the summer we either camp at CG that have elec, or do not allow generators or have none-generator sections.

5. rawlus

rawlus New Member

Seems primitive camping with generators is generally more disruptive than just having 30A hook ups. I don't have a generator, haven't needed one. Thankfully, when we've been off the grid, we haven't had to deal with generators as our little a frame is usually the most modern rig there, surrounded by tents for the most part. But if we regularly had to deal with generators, I think we'd likely opt for the more quiet hookup places instead. This is New England though and I'm sure the situation is different in different regions.

6. Sharpsburg

Sharpsburg New Member

Most of my camping life has been with a tent and a generator. But a good bit of that camping has been NASCAR where generators are so common that it would be odd not to hear a generator purring or roaring away. I can see how it gets on nerves, but I will still be using the generator unless I have shore power. We are simply too accustomed to our watt-hungry amenities to give them up (flat screen TV, play station, electric griddle, AC, Coffee maker, Blender, etc., etc....)

I believe in rules too! So I follow the quiet time hours, of course. And I only run it when needed, which is three to four hours based on my needs. But it really doesnt bother me hearing my or someone else's generator for long periods of time. Im just used to it.

7. tenttrailer

Primitive camping without generators is ideal. Very quite, larger CS, more experience campers.

8. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

After hurricane Sandy we had a choice of purchasing either a Honda generator that was nice and quiet for camping or a Champion 5500 watt generator for the house. I would much rather stay warm at the house with the generator. So, we purchased the 5500 watt genny...

We have never had the need to have a generator for camping. But, having a CPAP device now I am concerned about keeping the battery charged. Having a small generator to charge the battery every few days would help. Bringing my 5500 watt genny with me is totally out of the question. The thing is not all that quiet. At least it's quieter then my lawn mower!!

I will bring my battery charger with me and will find an outlet to plug in and charge if I have to.

9. froggie

froggie New Member

I'm a little confused. I don't boondock because I use the a/c in the summer and the heater in the winter. I really like to have running water, too. I thought boondocking meant you used solar and packed water in. If you need a loud generator to run these things, why not just stay in a cg with w/e? Generators, for the most part, are loud and obnoxious, whether they're yours or your neighbors.

10. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

I am probably the biggest generator hater around, but some of the little Genny's are really pretty quiet. You need a little bit bigger one to run AC, and I'm not sure how noisy those are, but a lot of people like to boondock just to get away by themselves, and it's cheaper than a campground, too.

11. Sharpsburg

Sharpsburg New Member

because they are needed when no hook ups are available and sometimes people want to camp alone but still have power.

12. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

You can use the heater without a generator for three to four days no problem.
    If you have to have A/C, you can get a bigger Honda that is quiet (and heavy), or parallel two smaller 2000W ones.
    They are near silent when running.
    You can pack in your water, too. We just camp with enough water to clean a few dishes and wash hands. Wet wipes do the rest.
    I would love to truly boondock in the states. The quiet at night would be wonderful - critter music!

13. shawnba

shawnba Shitters full!!!

Well how about solar power....my pup has all LED lights hooked up to solar panels. If I want to watch tv on a rainy day. I have a cell phone or my laptop. Or i read a good book! I find that people with generators seem to be less considerate at times to those who are camping to get away from all the incessant background noise of the city. I think that people should be a little more aware of everyone else around them, perhaps let the sites beside them know that they will be running a generator say midday for a couple of hours just to charge up the batteries a little. Most likely people wont even be at the site, perhaps at the beach, the pool and so forth. Just a little consideration would go a long way with me.

14. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

I camped about 5 times at the same SP this summer. The last time, the people across from me had a generator. The 2nd night it ran until 1:45 am.
    Honestly, I can see if you have kids running it a couple of hours at night to get the kids situated but any more than that really isn't fair to the other people camping.
    JMHO.

15. George Rose

George Rose Member

How are you powering the cpap?

16. steved

steved New Member

There are lots of guys with 5vrs that are completely solar, massive banks of batteries and panels; not really PUP friendly. I've got a decent panel (140 watt) on the garage for lighting...I would consider the same setup for my PUP and a single battery.

Here's my take on generators, it seems those that use them are also the ones that have families that never leave the camper...the kids are watching TV, wife never steps outside, dad is sleeping outside. Sometimes its not avoidable, you get stuck at a site without shore power; but its the one's that aren't considerate.

A lot of CGs have stricter and stricter rules on generators and noise anymore...the quiet hours are longer, the rules on noise and generators are very specific. People might be voicing their disapproval and the CG are responding?

17. tenttrailer

We don't like gens around us. If we are dry camping we try to find cg's that have no gen loops. It just does feel like camping to hear the buzz of gens all day.

Not sure why any one would want to hear the buzz of their gen. Why not go to a cg with elec. Let me see, lets relax next to a constant 58-70 noise maker for 2 to 16 hours, with neighbors all around with more noise makers and one neighbor that has the granddaddy of them all, "a 4-6k construction gen" ? That sounds relaxing. NOT!!

When I'm around the gens I can not hear, the birds, it sounds like a construction site and I never relax.

So camping next to me, please no gens.

18. BillG

BillG Go'in fishing

I would just like to chime in here. I use a generator all the time, only during the times allowed. I have to charge my battery somehow as I use it all night to power my breathing machine for may sleep apnea.
    We have yet to camp where there is a shore power line so that is what we do. I have a very small one and would like to upgrade to one of the really quiet ones, but I have not as yet had the extra cash to do that.
    I have a friend that we have camped with and he ran a large wire from his car so he runs his car every day to charge up his camper battery (the normal wire in the harness just will not charge in a short time).

19. tenttrailer

That great, if you want to be in a loop with gens.

As I said. "We don't like gens around us. If we are dry camping we try to find cg's that have no gen loops. It just does feel like camping to hear the buzz of gens all day."

So we don't camp in loops that allow gens. I wish all national parks and forests had gen free CS's or loops.

20. rawlus

rawlus New Member

Wouldn't it be better for all if the state and national parks had more hookup sites? It sort of defeats the purpose of having most of all of the sites dry if tons if campers are just going to bring generators and then super annoy everyone around them,

I know I've never been bothered by the guy next to me's 30A cord. The electricity running thorough that cord is near silent.

Best part is, if you still want to dry camp, you can, just don't plug in. Or plug in only at night to run whatever devices you need.