What's with all the TVs (televisions) while camping now???

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by MovingRightAlong, Jul 3, 2009.

1. themanfromvan

themanfromvan Van, PA - Near The PA Wilds

It's obvious I've been at this camping thing too long because it seems I have a story for any situation any more. [:)]

We were camped at Parker Dam in August 2007 and there were these people next to us in a big 5'er. They never came out of their RV except in the morning, to go to the shower house - and every so often the man would come out, look up in the sky to the southwest, look over at our site - then go back inside. They had a satellite dish set up, so it was obvious this guy's observations had something to do with their TV reception.

This went on all weekend. We started packing up Sunday morning and the whole time this couple is peeking out the windows, coming outside and pacing around the campsite. It's obvious they're waiting for us to go. As I was pulling out of the campsite to leave, I looked up in the mirror to see this guy moving his dish over into what was our backyard. I thought that was pretty rude.

You know, mister, if you're reading this - had you spoken to me, you could have put your damn dish back there on Friday and had good reception all weekend. We don't have a 'snob' smiley, do we? [:)]

2. scottyisback44

scottyisback44 New Member

We bring a small tv that has the dvd player built in. Its just for the rainy days and at night for the kids to fall asleep to. Its forbidden to be turned on if the sun is shining. And so far the kids havent even asked to turn it on when its been sunny out.

3. jtbeck

jtbeck New Member

Why would anyone care if someone brings a TV or not? Take care of your site and let others tend to theirs.

I absolutely will take a TV with us. Just got back from a week in St. Augustine. Took a TV, a computer and let the kids bring along their video games as well. None of those things kept us from the beach, the pool, taking walks or exploring the town and surrounding areas. They did allow us to relax in the evening and catch up on the news. I knew MJ, Farrah, Ed McMahon and Billy Mays died, but it's not like it meant I had to stay in my camper and monitor the airwaves.

I also made good use of our laptop with the WiFi offered at the campground. It allowed me to enhance several of our day trips with extra information about specific places and things.

As for relaxing around a campfire, I love to do that. But not when it's 98 degrees outside.

Ease up folks. It's just camping. Nobody's going to be handing out awards for the most "authentic" camper.

4. campingcleatus

campingcleatus Member

Well put! To each his/her own...

5. perterra

perterra Member

I think much of this stems from loud TV's and loud radios. For folks like myself who wish to kick back and listen to the coyotes and watch the sky a TV or radio playing loud enough for a neighbor to hear all night would be hard to tolerate. I carry a shortwave/weather radio and a lap top so I can download and edit photos, but I would never think of listening to the radio loud enough that it could be heard in the next camp site. In my opinion, my right to enjoyment ends when it encroaches on a neighbor.

6. 14erfam

14erfam Member

Beautifully put! I don't care what others do as long as its respectful to the neighboring sites.

7. MovingRightAlong

MovingRightAlong New Member

As I said in one of my follow up posts, I wasn't annoyed because everyone that had tvs were very good about it. Had I not looked over at the site or walked by I wouldn't even have known they had them.

The idea is just so foreign to me, that I was amazed at how many campers brought them. Literally 4 TTs in a row had them including a couple of PUPers that had a tube tv sitting on a rock.

8. jwolfe01

jwolfe01 Honeoye, NY

One of the reasons we go camping is to get away from TV, computers, etc. I refuse to bring any TV. We have a portable DVD player that we use for my daughter in the car on long trips, but I wont even take that along camping. My daughter has even learned to not bother asking to take it as I have explained that we dont watch TV, etc while camping. I too notice many many RVs with TVs in them, portable satellite setups, etc and I just dont get it either. When my dad had his TT and a seasonal site, we had a small B&W TV, but it was barely ever on, just at night before bed and sometimes while we ate breakfast. I dunno, to each their own, but I refuse to have any TV with me while camping.

9. jtbeck

jtbeck New Member

We go camping to spend time with each other and relax. I don't try to put me or my family through some sort of endurance test of how long we can go without the things we enjoy. If you truly don't enjoy watching TV, don't do it. But, if you like watching tv or movies to relax, rock on. We don't spend our whole trip in the camper watching TV, but I can't see even one single reason to just arbitrarily exclude things like that from my trip. They don't interfere with my camping, they enhance it.

Our last trip out was last week. We would get up and go after we all crawled out of bed. We might come back to the camper for lunch or we might eat out or take it with us. We generally didn't really get "back" to the camper until 8 or 9 each night. If we decided to watch a little TV or a movie or let the kids play some video games I can't see the issue. Seriously, who cares?

I can't imagine refusing to bring something that I or my family might accidentally enjoy. As a matter of fact, one day on our trip my youngest son got sick and couldn't do anything for most of the day. So, while the rest of the family went to the ocean and played, he and I stayed in the camper so he could rest and recover. Did we watch TV and surf the 'net. You bet we did. Why wouldn't I? It made a miserable little boy feel a little bit better. Spongebob can really work wonders on a 7 year old. And I got some information on other side trips and points of interest that we wouldn't have had if I had left the tv and laptop at home.

I can't see worrying about it, though. We've got way too much going on to critique our fellow campers. Camp however you want and don't let anyone tell you that you're doing it wrong.

10. dav4flynn

dav4flynn Va. Beach, Va.

I am so wired at home that if all I bring is a little TV for news in tha am and a show or two before sleep than I am doing good. To each, their own.

edit for typos

11. rcjsmom

rcjsmom New Member

my main worry is storms, and that's usually what I struggle to find the most. I did get a NOAA radio, but quickly realized they only have value if you have a map with a list of counties and cities to which their reports reference. A good old fashioned radar speaks better to me :). I'm likely going to use it as justification to get an iPhone and have online access to radar. [:D]

12. moonbayb

moonbayb Member

I must say, we did take a small tv/dvd player with us, and plan to contune to do so, but we saw something that really blow our minds last weekend.

We were on our first trip with our PUP last weekend, and were in a campground in Cape May, NJ. There was a modest sized mobile home a couple of sites down, and outside in front of the outdoor furniture and the fire pit was....huge plywood platform with.........a HUGE flatscreen TV!!!!!! I heard the guy (yes he had his family with him) say something about not wanting to miss a game, but am I missing something????

Pat

13. blake

blake New Member

We keep a small LCD just in case of the I'm "bored" thing comes up, but it normally stays put up. Although while camping in the heartland of Kansas a few weeks ago, it sure was nice to be able to see where the storms were headding and know when to head for high ground {high winds, open field and pop up.... not a good combination} But hey, if you want to hang a 60" plasma in the trees and catch a football game, well.... theres nothing like getting to know your neighbors over a few beers and a good game!!

14. redjacket

redjacket In memory of Nick Dilal, Sr. 1931-2005

I bought a small tv/vcr combo just for the pup for $10. I figure that since I'm taking grandson (9) and granddaughter (4) with me on our maiden voyage I'm going to need it.

15. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

We don't bring a TV, computer, or any of that stuff with us, but to each their own, so long as it doesn't disturb other's enjoying their camping, right?

I do have to laugh at David's (themanfromvan) story, as we had a similar story, except not with him putting his dish on our site. We arrived at Four Mile Creek near Niagara Falls, and the next day so did a early 90s, or late 80s Winnebago Class A. He spent FOUR AND A HALF HOURS coming in and out of his rig, trying to get reception.. When he finally did get it, the angle of the dish just matched his neighbor's, should have looked there first! lol. This continued all weekend, as he must have gone in and out of service. One day I think his car had been blocking it, or at least he thought maybe it was, as he moved it after toying with the dish for another 2 hours. lol

It looked like he had modernized the rig a bit with a LCD screen. To each their own, but he came out ~3 times the whole week to actually see the waterfront view he had of Lake Ontario. Even then, I never got a high, wave, or even smile from him.. Ahhh, friendly neighbors. [:D]

16. LifesAGrill

LifesAGrill Raymond, MS

A lot depends on why I am camping. If I am going to a college football game, you bet your life the TV, DirectTV, and any other ways to watch sports go with me.
    If I am camping to get away, the TV and DirectTV are always along for the ride, but may not get pulled out and used. But trust me if the weather looks bad, I will be watching the Weather Channel.

17. lars

lars New Member

It's all relative. I know a lot of people who think camping in campgrounds instead of the back country is no way to truly get away from it all.

So while you disparage the idea of watching TV while camping, others think it's ludicrous to set up camp in a crowded campground when you could be camping in the wilderness if only you could give up your luxuries (running water, toilets, power, etc).

...lars

18. horrocks family

horrocks family Boone, NC

I have 3 kids - 6, 3 and 1

We bring a television with us so that we do not disturb others at the campground. We do not use it all day and night, but there are times, like when we are cleaning up from dinner, that the kids get impatient and want to go back to the playground or to the pool or go for a bikeride. They have a hard time waiting for us to make sure all the food is put away and everything is clean so as not to entice critters. We flip on the TV or pop in a quick movie and they settle down. When the kids are older, they'll be able to find ways to entertain themselves or just sit and relax with a book, but for now...

There are also times after the kids are in bed that DW and I will watch a movie while enjoying the campfire. Especially if we have been out hiking all day, we're beat and not in a mood for playing UNO or Dutch Blitz or Phase 10.

Why do I think it is OK to bring a TV camping? Because families are still doing that together. At home people have 2 or 3 TV's going and everyone in a different room watching a different show or game. Out at the CG, people hike together, eat together, watch TV together.

I guess it's all about perspective.

19. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill PUP-2002 Flagstaff 725D TV- 2004 Dodge Ram 1500

To each his own said the lady as she kissed the cow.

I don't have a problem whatever people want to do on their own site as long as it doesn't impact me on my site.

While we do camp in sites with water/elect. We also tend to find an area that has a few open spots around it. We have had to ease the kids into camping as they were scared to camp in the back yard last year and now we can go and be away from others.

I personally don't have a television in the PUP, but am willing to bring computer/DVD player for those times the weather is bad. We have not used it yet, but have the option. DS and DD are good about wanting to play board games and have their hand held games if they want. I have my phone (iphone) so I have internet if I need and use it to check the weather.

The way I figure it, if you don't bother me, I won't bother you. Isn't that what camping is all about?

20. slyspyder

slyspyder Lake Saint Louis, MO

I concur with the "to each his own" sentiment. I always bring a TV/VCR combo. We only watch it at bedtime and put in a familiar movie...usually don't stay awake for the whole thing. We also watch it during rain. This past weekend, it was cool and rainy all day on the 4th of July...no boating...no campfire...no nothing...it was surely nice to stay zipped up in my sleeping bag, dozing, and watching some movies.

I have fallen asleep to a TV in my bedroom since I was 10 years old (maybe younger)...it stays on all night every night.... just my routine.

I don't have it loud enough for neighbors to hear and the "glow" bothering someone?!?! Please!! If you are that easily bothered, you need to boondock away from civilization!

As long as people tend to their own site and don't bothere their neighbor, what is the issue? I, personally, cringe when I see someone drag out a guitar for picking around the campfire....or see a family arrive with 4-5 young kids that I know will be making all sorts of noises all weekend...not misbehaved kids, just kids....screaming...bikes/trikes/big wheels.....hollering.... water fights...etc. Now, is it fair for me to get actually upset because kids are being..well, kids?? Of course not! But just pointing out that all sorts of people have all sorts of irritations and the idea of what makes a good trip...shouldn't assume yours coincide with anyone else's. Just sayin's all :)