What's your favorite in Georgia?

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by kelaykay, Sep 10, 2012.

1. kelaykay

kelaykay New Member

Hi Friends!

We are planning a trip in December to Georgia. We are planning to leave the day after after Christmas. We definitely want to do Stone Mountain for a few nights, then another campground. We just aren't sure what place to choose and we are hoping for some advice!

We would like a place north of Atlanta and would prefer some sort of creek or river nearby and at least a mountain view. It doesn't necessarily need to be *in* the mountains since that would require more driving on stress inducing roads, but either way we would enjoy it.

What would you recommend? Any favorites-and if you don't mind-could you tell us why you love that place so much? We've looked through a ton of places online but it just doesn't tell the whole story.

Thanks all!!

2. jackcamper

jackcamper Hello fellow campers!

try Richard B. Russell state park in Elberton, Ga. They have cable, wireless internet, a nice lake , good fishing and nice staff!

3. Joeman

Joeman New Member

Vogel State Park!!!!
    Beautiful mountains, great hiking, nice lake....

4. kelaykay

kelaykay New Member

Thanks guys!!

[:D] [:D] [:D]

5. badgamuss

badgamuss Member

Unicoi State Park is the only place I have been to in Georgia so far.

6. TentOnWheelsTX

TentOnWheelsTX New Member

We just drove thru the northwestern tip of GA on the way back form NC - and dropped in to 'preview' Cloudland Canyon State Park (Rising Fawn, GA)

It. Was. AMAZING! Big steep hills, switch backs (with my BF loved, me? Not so much) But the park sits on an canyon's edge. Most of the sites are shaded and semi-private. I don't think there's a bad one in the bunch.

We were excited about the cottages (2 of them are dog friendly - we travel with our Doberman). We may start staying at the park as our mid-way overnight spot rather than at hotels.

It's certainly onw we'd be willing to drive from Houston, TX on an extended weekend to camp at, too.

7. GA Judy

GA Judy Active Member

All those are great suggestions! Just make sure when you are ready to go that the CGs are open for the winter. Have a great time!

8. mtnkube

mtnkube Member

9. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

You're getting some good advice. Stone Mountain is a great park, we've been there and hope to go back because we couldn't do it all in one trip. Know ahead of time that it's a private campground. That's not a drawback, but outside of that park, I would highly recommend the State Park system. Georgia's state parks are fantastic. Someone told me recently (but I can't confirm if it's true) that the state park system in Georgia is set up so that there is a state park within 60 miles of anywhere in the state.

10. papachaz

papachaz New Member

ok so you want north of ATL, but not too far north. creek/river/lake available. you won't make mountains in less than a couple of hours from where you are, BUT being on the Stone Mtn side of Atlanta, you can hit I-85 north easy enough. from there you can go to: Ft Yargo State Park, Victoria Bryant State Park, or even farther north. Both of those are not far off 85, so easy to get to. My first choice of those would be Victoria Bryant.

go here:http://www.gastateparks.org/parks/ to check it out and check availability, you can even make reservations.

good luck!

11. ultraclyde

ultraclyde New Member

Vogel is great, one of the oldest state parks in the nation - it was built by the CCC in the depression, they have cabins as well as campsites. Bit of advice for winter camping - the have sites along the creek ( on the right as you enter the campground) and sites up the hill a little that are only for tents/ pop-ups. It gets 10+ degrees colder by the creek, you want to be up the hill. Also, the park is in a sharp little valley. so the sun rises late and sets early. Be sure to have some in-camper activities.

Fort Mountain state park is almost 2000 feet up outside Dalton, GA. It's one of the prettiest state parks we've been to. Great lake, great views, great hiking, and some of the best hardcore mountain biking trails in the state. Be sure your TV is up to the task.

12. georgiadave

georgiadave New Member

Tugaloo state park is our favorite! every time were there we see deer just standing eating beside the road we have had them walk in our camp Its beutiful there open year round! the have laundry at shower house, cable hook up! its on lake hartwell fishing is good! lots of wildlife and right out of the park is gumlog bbq they have bbq. ribs. stew of course also steaks. chicken, hambergers and the best catfish you ever put in your mouth!

13. oldstick

oldstick New Member

I'll consider this like a poll and bump it up again.

Hard to choose a favorite, because there are so many nice ones. I will cast another vote for Cloudland Canyon among the state parks. But I think the absolute best are some of the ones operated by the Core of Engineers on the numerous reservoir lakes around the state.

14. GAPopper

GAPopper New Member

Trackrock Campground near Blairsville Ga. It sits in a valley of beautiful mountains. They have a lake with fishing and a swim area with a beach. There is onsite horseback riding and a Saturday evening tractor pulled hayride. All sites are shaded. This is a great little family owned campground that has many repeat loyal customers. A added bonus for non campers is they also have cabins .

15. oldstick

oldstick New Member

That is a great one too because I hear it named all the time. It has been around a long time because our family camped there once when I was 11 or 12 or so and I am 58 now. We were referred to it by the folks at Vogtle State Park when we found it filled up. And it was great back then as well. I distinctly remember the horse back rides at that age because the guide was one of the owners' teenage daughters I believe :) :)

16. TwoEngineersGoCamping

TwoEngineersGoCamping Member

Another vote for Cloudland Canyon. It's remote, but the scenery along the hikes just can't be beat. Vogel and Uniquoi are usually busy because of their proximity to Helen GA. It's a fun Alpine Village that has a lot of events going on. The area is really taking off as an artist community, so wineries, arts & crafts fesivals, and fine food are easy to find.

The Corp of Engineers campsites along Lake Lanier are very nice and comfortable. We've stayed at most of the ones along 400N and they are all great. We like Duckett Mill the best. The lake is busiest on the southern end. The further north you go, the quieter and more peaceful it gets.

Have fun and let us know what you pick!