Whats your favorite part of camping

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Sdickson501, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Harvardroger

Harvardroger If it feels good, do it! If it hurts, Stop!

Being away from the constant work contact in this smartphone world.

Having the most difficult decision being when to put another log on the fire.

Believe it or not, cooking. Making something good to eat over the campfire or in a D0 or on a stick.

2. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Getting away from the city lights and see all the stars with my main man Patrick, 5yo DS with DS (Down Syndrome), he asks almost daily to go camping!!

Other than my son learning and doing so many new things, I enjoy a beer at the campfire once he goes to bed!!

3. bccamper

bccamper Member

Spending time out doors with my DW and children. Nothing better than that.

4. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

Re: West Coast Swim
    « Reply #25 on: 2014-02-15, 23:25:26 »
    [/size]
    [size=0.85em]Quote[/r]
    [/size]
    • [size=0.85em][/l]

We took our first big trip in our new tent trailer last august to a wedding in Mendocina, CA. Drove down from Portland and cut over to US 101 just before the OR/CA border, then cut over to the 1. It was an amazingly beautiful drive. Stopped one night in Jedediah Smith State Park and
      it was pretty awesome waking up and having coffee on a river bank, surrounded by giant redwoods. I would say it is definitely do-able to take a travel trailer on the 1, the people who have problems driving behind you, will pass you only so they can drive behind someone else. Its curvy and hilly, there is no going fast. Oregon coast is pretty awesome too. Its definitely not the same coastline as you're probably used to on the gulf. And swimming is definitely possible, I'd just ask the locals where a good place to go is, gotta watch out for rip-current, and it will be cold. I guess its more wading, splashing, and running away from waves than swimming. Hope you guys have a fun trip.
      [table][tr][td][/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]
      Jedediah Smith State Park
      [/td][/tr][/table]​
      This sums it up for me! [CP]

5. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

BC for as much as I have to agree that that the time I spend with my DW and DD's is the most wonderful thing, I like it even better when they all go to bed and it's only me, my coffee and darkness illuminated by only the campfire. To look up at the stars as the night starts to chill just a bit sip my hot coffee and feel the warmth of the fire with my feet propped up and no television, phone or family to bug me....no matter the location, that's paradise.

6. elizabeth583

elizabeth583 Member

I couldn't possibly just pick one favourite thing about camping - there are so many, which is why I love it.

Early spring, out hiking with DH and DS, the sun shining through the still-bare trees to warm our shoulders, hearing the newly returned birds calling to each other and looking for ephemeral forest plants...that is one of my happiest moments.

7. skiball

skiball New Member

I have to agree. We both love so many things about camping, even setting up (not tearing down... It's sad). It's so hard to choose just one thing.

8. Kimmygr

Kimmygr Member

For me, it is just getting away from the house and the monotony of everyday life. To listen to the wind in the trees, the birds, the wildlife rustling through the woods. To imagine what it was like before "progress." I am one of those people who could just sit at my campsite all day by myself with a good book and be perfectly content. Maybe that will happen when the youngest is older. The biggest activity this Family needs is swimming. It keeps everyone cool, occupied, and happy.

9. camping dad

camping dad New Member

I agree, sitting around the fire winding down the day is about my favorite part also!

10. Loraura

Loraura New Member

Sitting under the awning having my morning coffee.

11. daveB

daveB Member

sitting around the fire having a cold beer and watching the stars.

12. backwoodsmama

backwoodsmama New Member

Friends, family, laughing and for sure the smell of a good campfire. My FAVORITE smell in the world! And, all food tastes better in the great outdoors!

13. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

Lack of cell service, or at least that is what I tell my boss.

14. Jsin_kcco

Jsin_kcco KCCO!

My fav part is getting up before everyone, starting breakfast and coffee.. And as everyone is waking up and eating, preparing the smoker to start a big slab of pork or beef and having that smoke perfume the camp ground.. Good way to get company! And at the end of the day, that stinging heat of sun burn on my shoulders!! Love searching for more firewood with the kids as the sun is going down!! Then.. BEER

15. ve3tiz

ve3tiz New Member

Falling to sleep to the sound of wildlife in the marsh..... instead of ambulance sirens and crotch rockets.

16. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

We (DW and I) both love getting loaded and hitched (the trailer and truck, not us), the trip to the campground, setting up camp, campfires, night skies, day and night walks, watching and listening to kids and families being blessed together, scoping out potential future camp sites, and checking out everybody's rig and set up, and waking up to coffee.

17. vwbusgirlie

vwbusgirlie New Member

Enjoy your campfires!!! More often than not we cannot have them here in AZ !!!!! Just kinda sucks

18. tsimpler

tsimpler New Member

We also both enjoyed getting loaded and hitched!

Oh, wait, that's not what you ment! Ok, yea, fire.

Trwnt

19. Indy

Indy Member

I enjoy so much of it. I love seeing new places and new sights. For us, sometimes camping is about the actual camping experience with dutch ovens and hiking and quiet reflection and swimming in lakes and campfires and s'mores and all that jazz. Other times, our PUP is all about taking a road trip to new cities, trying the local restaurants, seeing the town & the tourist traps. Either way, it is pure bliss.

I love that I'm disconnected from the world and the stresses of home, and many times, out of cell service range. I love that we sit together and talk and interact and enjoy each other's company, far more than we do at home with tvs and computers and smartphones and video games sucking our attention. (No one misses those things while we are camping, so why are we such slaves to them at home? I don't know.) I love being out in nature, sleeping under canvas. I like to hear the crickets chirp and the rain fall and the thunder roll and breezes blow and coyotes howl and the owls hoot and the frogs serenade and the fire crackle. I love seeing the stars and actual constellations, with the occasional quick glimpse of a shooting star. I love to watch the sun set and the moon rise. I love the teamwork we all put into setting up and tearing down camp. I love the extra time out with our dogs, sitting around camp or hiking a trail. I love the friendliness of our camping neighbors - everyone is in a good mood and quick to lend a helping hand if needed (far different than in Houston). I love caving, canoeing, hiking, exploring, swimming. I love the mountains, the hills, the beach, the lake, and the forest - depending on where we are. I love a relaxing hammock in the shade. I love a warm sleeping bag (and maybe some heat) on a chilly night. I love being comfy and casual. I love being in the actual camper itself at night -- it is homier than home. I love ice cold drinks from the cooler and meals made over a fire. I love ranger programs specific to the park we're visiting.

There's not much I don't love, actually. We just got back late Sunday night and I'm itching to go again. We'd be leaving Friday afternoon, if only dh didn't have to work Saturday, and even so we considered a local campground where he could commute to work from the site.

20. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Sneaking off to the TV while the kids are asleep.....oops wrong thread