Whats your hometown famous for?

pandpcamper

Lifetime camper, newer to pup
Jun 25, 2012
We're known for the Victorian Opera House on the square where Orson Wells had his start. Also the Todd School for Boys where he lived and attended. We're the 2nd to last stop on the Chicago Metra train, going west!

grantar2

Nov 4, 2013
Mission Viejo
Safest city in the United States with a population of 100,000 or more Mission Viejo, CA. In the years were not #1, were #2 behind Irvine, CA. 30 minutes from Disneyland, 15 minutes from the beach isn't bad either.

Hanvee3

Super Active Member
Nov 29, 2009
Hi everyone. We just moved to Belleville, Ontario, just over a month ago. We like it here. We moved here because it is quiet, affordable and close to family. I just could not think of anything famous about this town. I Googled it and found out that Dixie Lee Fried Chicken started here. I am sure that I will find out some other things (famous) later.

rebrev

Aug 23, 2014
The "town of perfect water" - of course, then they fluoridate it, chlorinate, it, etc., so it tastes like everywhere else when they get done with it.

Fasttimes7

Sep 7, 2014
Square groupers, cocaine cowboys, and amazing (take your pick: beaches, diving, fishing, boating, exotic food, exotic women) [:D].

- Miami

Fasttimes7

Sep 7, 2014
BroPaul N The Cakelady said:
Square Groupers?

Paul

In Miami in the 80's during the height of the drug trade times a "square grouper" was what we called a bale of marijuana that would be found floating in the ocean or washed up on the beaches. Many fishermen would go fishing for "square grouper" out in the ocean where the drug planes or drug boats would drop their illegal loads while under pursuit.

sleach

A short run will get you within walking distance.
May 17, 2014
Boulder, Colorado
Canterbury NH through age 18: Shaker religious colony, Canterbury Fair. Was a farming community, now a bedroom community to Concord.

Boulder, CO to now: grey haired trust fund hippies, legal pot of every description, most of which is bought by tourists for "informal export", outrageous housing costs, University of Colorado, Naropa University where you can get a degree in "disembodied poetics", Jon Benet Ramsey murder- most bungled investigation in history, full variety of right and left wing political nuts, home of Soldier of Fortune Magazine, several Nobel laureates.

Weird town- and I love it!

smokey41

Jun 5, 2014
My Hometown, where I grew up and sadly had to move from (but still consider home) is Noank CT. Our claim to fame is that Amelia Earhart was married in our (then) quaint little village on the shoreline of the Mystic River.
The home where the nuptials happened still stands, and there is information about it in the village historical society.

This is a link to the wedding article. http://www.ameliaearhartmuseum.org/AmeliaEarhart/NewsClips/clip310207.htm

Mamagoogins

Jun 20, 2014
I can add home of the infamous cemetery wreath thief to what our town is famous for. A video recently went viral of a woman stealing dozens of wreaths off of gravestones. Turns out, she is a wealthy owner of multiple rental properties in our beach town. She wasn't well liked before, now she may as well move to the west coast.

scubacamper

Super Active Member
Mar 19, 2013
Jacksonville, FL
I keep reading over this post and I always learn something new about many of you so now it's time for me to post.

Well, Les Brown and he Band of Renown came from Reinerton (the northern part of Tower City, PA Rt. 209 off I-81) but back then it was just another coalmine town. My own Father and his brothers had their own band back in the 30's and 40's called the "Smyk Swingsters" and would perform on a radio station out of Wilkes-Barrie every Sunday. The old adage was, as my uncle would say at the opening "You swing and sway with Sammy Kaye but you swing and kick with Harry Smyk." With the passing of my father in May at 90 that era is now gone except in our hearts and minds.

money pit

What could be so bad??? We are camping!!!
Oct 5, 2014
I would happen to say, its famous for a couple of things:

1. Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company
2. Cray research - home to the one time fastest super computers ever made.......
3. Chad Cascadden - former National Football League linebacker for the New York Jets and New England Patriots
4 Charles E. "Gus" Dorais (1891–1954) - Former quarterback and kicker for the University of Notre Dame; inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame as a coach in 1954. Was head coach of the Detroit Lions from 1943-1947.

And a ton of other cool things...that is why we call it home!

wapwap

Aug 15, 2011
My hometown of Oshkosh, WI (yes, it's a real place) is famous for Oshkosh'B'Gosh clothing, Oshkosh Truck (a major military vehicle manufacturer), and the EAA. My current city of residence, Wausau, WI, is famous for insurance (Wausau insurance now owned by Liberty Mutual) and whitewater kayaking.

jamb046

Jul 23, 2013
Garland, TX
Carlsbad Caverns - Huge caverns caused by acidic water dissolving limestone over millions of years. Or you believe that was a lost Texas gopher trying to burrow his way home.