whats your most exotic food prep tool you take along

Discussion in 'Pots, Pans, Grills, Other Cookware / Cleaning & Fo' started by dave123, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

Ahhh.. You might just want to start selling those. I know it seems mundane to you but so does the fork, and look how good that went over.

I'd buy one from you for my back yard if reasonably priced. That's a fantastic piece.

2. Jeni Ann

Jeni Ann Member

Giant Wok ... [:O] ...

3. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

We bring a pot

4. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

That WOK is awesome, back home (on the farm) we have plenty old disc blades laying around to do this with!!

5. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

I wouldn't classify them as exotic, but the things that I have that I wouldn't do without are my elec. appliances: Microwave, Electric percolater, Electric mixer, Waffle Iron, and electric griddle. I bought this vintage electric grill at a yard sale for like $2.00 this spring. It has a warming section. I can cook a number of breakfast items, & keep them warm. I even butter english muffins, and lay them on the griddle, and they brown better than they do in the toaster or toaster oven.

6. Jean

Jean New Member

I know here it's not considered exotic, but the most exotic food prep tool I take along is my dutch oven. This weekend was our 24th anniversary. Being us, we went camping.

My husband was hypoglycemic when we got married and didn't eat any sugar. At the last minute, I decided I wanted a wedding cake. Yeah. A sugar free wedding cake. What we ended up with was a sugar free chocolate cream pie. I was going to make one camping, but at the last minute (yeah, I know) changed it to a s/f apple pie. I pulled it off, which I was happy about but I should have stuck with the s/f chocolate cream pie.

Jean

7. Mr_Custom

Mr_Custom Member

Blender, for Margarita production. Technically food right?

8. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

The most exotic has to be our T-Fal griddle. 144 square inches of teflon coated aluminum, the best Wal Mart had to offer, in our price range. Makes pancakes and, well, pancakes is all it makes. I often have a spatula too, but sometimes I used a plastic fork if I don't want to wash it.

The irony is, I love to cook, and have some nifty tools, but I just don't do that camping. It's normally just basics, and a lot of it.

9. shfd739

shfd739 Member

Tabletop size propane grill. I know most folks use charcoal or wood but I know this grill and can use it consistently so we take it. I do add wood chips to it for taste lol.

10. E3 Junkie

E3 Junkie Greetings from Granada Hills, CA.

A Hamilton Beach 40729 espresso machine... we run it on battery/solar power when we're boondocking, it of course will extract espresso, but also foams milk, and has a handy 16 ounce water reservoir so you can make a run of latte's without refiling, and a 15 bar pump. It's about $60, and about the least expensive model with a 15 bar pump. On the downside, it draws about 1100 watts, so that's why I've got a 2000 watt inverter and two deep cycle batteries hooked into the 95 watt solar system. I can make latte's all week with this set up.

11. Yar

Yar Garland, TX

Coffee bean grinder, French press and chopsticks for sushi (store bought not homemade, unfortunately).

12. jerry_ma

jerry_ma Member

my portable camp oven (fits on top of the coleman stove) or soon to be my coleman stove with a built in oven :)

13. mls15000

mls15000 New Member

I usualy bring one or two of my antique Griswold waffle irons and my coleman roadtrip grill.

14. ghri49

ghri49 Member

I am so stealing this idea and building myself one, what a great idea and great way to keep it all warm and crisp!!!

15. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Not exotic to me, but it seems to be unusual: my disposable nitrile gloves. We finally have dish detergent that doesn't eat my skin immediately (funny, Campsuds, Dr. Bronner's and others of the same ilk all cause problems with one use), but I still need to be cautious. I also use them for food prep, so I don't need to scrub so much as I cook.

16. esgordon123

esgordon123 New Member

You know what I find cool about the wok pic? The girl is getting her self a frog leg. That the way to raise the girls. Mine would not touch it with a 10' pole. That's awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. 46Ford

46Ford New Member

18. hwy395lvr

hwy395lvr New Member

Yeah,what he said! We even have a 12 volt model when we're not hooked up
    ....Don't leave home without it!!! [;)]

19. gitfiddle6

gitfiddle6 The mountains are calling and I must go

Aaaaaaand I'm on craigslist looking for those harvesting disks now. I will be making myself a camp wok. Genius!!

20. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Best chance would be a tractor dealership that does maintenance. Or find a local farmer!! The disc we had back home was a 40 footer, if I remember right and the discs were 30", and it had 50-60 discs on it. We would replace them every few years. The old discs, down to ~2x" were sold back to the dealership and they would resell them to smaller sized discs.

I'd like to make one also!!