What's your preference - Wooded sites or Fields?

Which do you prefer?

• Wooded Site

Votes: 76 97.4%
  • Field

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Walmart Parking Lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

armyguy

US [USA]
Dec 6, 2004
Asheville NC
Definitely wooded partly shaded, I remember one time I waited to long to book at Devils Lake SP in WI and ended up at Wheelers CG in the middle of a grassy field. Needless to say that was the last time as the [{:)]was not happy.

MsMac

May 19, 2016
silvermickey 2002 said:
MsMac, that looks like a nice isolated spot. The kind you can sit and actually listen to your own thoughts!!!

Absolutely! The only traffic we saw in the 3 days we were there was a guy doing some "ridge running" and a couple of rangers. The absolute lack of light pollution was another plus.

kcsa75

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2013
Kansas City
Canon 101 said:
One of the main reasons we went with a PUP over a TT is it feels most like true camping to us. Nothing glamorous, basically allows us to sleep comfortably in a tent off the ground and not wake up with the aches and pains.

My wife and I always look for campgrounds with wooded sites prior to booking. Noise of the birds and the rustling leaves waking us in the morning is much preferred.

A grass parking lot with RV's, TT's, and PUP's all squished together, waking to the drone of A/C, other people Stereos blaring, and the roar of the 8 cylinder engines coming to life all around you just does not do it for me.

Whats your preference, wooded or field camping and why?

I agree on all counts! [:)C]

Orchid

Sharp Shootin' Grandma
May 8, 2011
Florida by way of WV and MD
There would have to be some other attraction to the area for me to ever camp in a field. That would only happen if I were using our PUP more as a hotel room, to visit a place on the cheap, rather than actually going there for the camping.

The only exception to fully wooded camping for me, is directly on the beach. Even then, I would prefer wooded camping with beach access. Our favorite state park, here in FL, is fantastic. It has wooded campsites right on the river and open ones on the beach. We camp in the wooded river loop and enjoy both the river and the beach.

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
Is this a trick question? lol.

Just got back from Colorado (not camping) and drove by so many "RV Parks" that were literally that: a place to park your RV, right next to a few dozen other RVs (many very expensive looking). Maybe they also had a pool or something that everyone shared.

I certainly don't consider that camping... but I guess I can see it if you're using your RV as a hotel, and going sightseeing all day. We're rarely in our hotels other than to sleep when we do a family vacation.

nineoaks2004

Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday
Oct 15, 2006
Dukes, Fl
Shady wooded site is much better and more pleasing to the eye rather than a field with the unit sitting out in the hot sun or cold weather and wind

NJGuy

Super Active Member
Apr 20, 2010
Camped many times at Moab. Not wooded or field. Now living in Delaware, wooded all day long.

Merlin14

Aug 30, 2014
Wooded, and heavily is our preference.
I've never thought to look for grassy and "open" areas as destinations, as it seems almost anti-camping to me.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM

benandbobbi

Dec 18, 2012
Orchid said:
There would have to be some other attraction to the area for me to ever camp in a field. That would only happen if I were using our PUP more as a hotel room, to visit a place on the cheap, rather than actually going there for the camping.

The only exception to fully wooded camping for me, is directly on the beach. Even then, I would prefer wooded camping with beach access. Our favorite state park, here in FL, is fantastic. It has wooded campsites right on the river and open ones on the beach. We camp in the wooded river loop and enjoy both the river and the beach.

which park are you referring to?

Jughed

Aug 14, 2015
For me they are nothing but overnight stopping points...

We prefer wooded sites, typically in state parks.

Orchid

Sharp Shootin' Grandma
May 8, 2011
Florida by way of WV and MD
Fort Clinch in Fernandina Beach. I think I have it listed as my favorite in my profile. Hard to get reservations, but I grab them any time I can. Since we are free during weekdays, it gives us an advantage. :)

Eskimorob

PUP life
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 5, 2016
Wooded and protected from the wind, if possible. You can prepare for rain, but wind can make things pretty exciting...and not in a good way.

benandbobbi

Dec 18, 2012
Orchid said:
Fort Clinch in Fernandina Beach. I think I have it listed as my favorite in my profile. Hard to get reservations, but I grab them any time I can. Since we are free during weekdays, it gives us an advantage. :)

I'll have to look into that one. I thought you were referring to Fort deSoto

ScoobyDoo

Aug 23, 2016
What time of year? If the weather is likely to be hot, want/need shade. But Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years, the holidays I camp, prefer full sun, and a wind block. At that time of year, the CG may look like a parking lot, but it's a nearly empty PL [:D]

JustRelax

Super Active Member
Feb 20, 2013
Indianapolis
I prefer level spots. Some campgrounds we go to the wooded sites are incredibly uneven and drop off the back. They are also mostly dirt. Those campgrounds typically also have open level sites with grass that back up to the same woods. So I take a level grassy spot. As others have said we avoid these campgrounds in the heat of the summer and enjoy it in the fall when the sun feels good and being in the shade is a bit chilly.

I voted for a wooded site for the poll as my favorite sites are tree covered and level.

Byrd_Huntr

Super Active Member
Jan 27, 2013
Minnesota
We like to camp on the prairie in summertime because there are few bugs. I guess I wouldn't categorize prairie as a field, as it is much more diverse than that. We prefer the woods in fall when the bugs are gone.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 8