What's your Tow Vehicle Tire Recommendation

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by BBQdave, Mar 17, 2018.

1. BBQdave

BBQdave Active Member

Hello All,

I have a 2018 Nissan Crew Cab Frontier. The factory tires are passengers (P) and I am looking to replace the rear two tires with a set (2) of better traction tires for those muddy and wet grass areas I get into when camping. My plan is to run the factory tires on the front until they're worn.

My towing is light, 8' box PUP and occasionally small Cub Scout camp supply trailer.

What's your tire recommendation? What's your experience with tires and towing a PUP? Is the price of LT tires worth it in a PUP towing application?

Thanks, Dave

2. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Is your tv 4-wheel drive? Many tire installers push for replacing all four tires when 4wd is involved.

Welcome to the forum!

3. BBQdave

BBQdave Active Member

Sorry about not including drive information. My truck is 2-wheel drive with a rear limited slip system. Hence the idea of saving money and only putting two better grip tires on the rear end.

Thanks for the welcome!

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Just my two cents, but I would upgrade to LT tires and 2 at a time is OK for your truck. May throw off TPS (tire pressure sensors) not sure. And you have to check the tire clearance.

5. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

My F150 came with a less aggressive thread tire than the GMC it replaced. I will be going slightly more aggressive when I replace the current tires.

6. BBQdave

BBQdave Active Member

Thanks Ray,

Had not thought about TPS. And I will be bumping up to 75 from 70. Factory tires are 265/70R16, and I am replacing rear tires with 265/75R16.

After factory tires are worn, I will continue with 265/75R16 front and back. The Desert Runner Nissan package (2wd) is set up with 265/75R16 tires as well as the 4wd Frontiers.

I am leaning toward General Tire Grabber AT 2 - LT265/75R16. One of the forum members had good experience with that tire, and the cost is comparable to a passenger tire with grip.

7. BBQdave

BBQdave Active Member

"My F150 came with a less aggressive thread tire than the GMC it replaced. I will be going slightly more aggressive when I replace the current tires." - DJS12354

Dave, that's what I am looking at with the factory tires, not much grip. I have thought about riding them out, and replacing all four, but not worth getting stuck while camping.

8. joet

joet Well-Known Member

TPS sensors are programmable. Most likely the LT tire will run a higher pressure than the P tire. The rear sensors can be programed for the higher pressure.

9. BBQdave

BBQdave Active Member

Okay, thanks for the TPS information.

Gotta run, but will check back later. Thanks all for the helpful information.

10. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

One of my trucks is 2WD. I did not want an agressive AT LT tire. I needed weight carrying capacity due to my heavy TT tongue weight and carrying a lot of gear in my bed. I put BFG Long Trail TA tires on that truck. They are P-metric, but are XL load rated to carry a little extra weight.

11. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

LT tires weigh more and have a harder ride. That is because they are constructed with more plys. If you don’t need the extra puncture resistance and load capacity, you may not need an LT tire. You can get a P-metric tire with xl load and aggressive tread as xxxapache pointed out. There are some all terrain tires that are “mountain snowflake” stamped for winter traction too.

12. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

I agree with giadiep! Look at the Hankook AT-M - great tire at a good price.... Also, TPMS sensors are programmable to the vehicle - no way I know of to alter parameters - that is programmed in the BCM. Just my 2cents

13. xxxapache

BFG Radial AT's have the mountain/snowflake. I have them on my other truck and Jeep.

IMAG1778.jpg

giadiep likes this.
  14. joet

joet Well-Known Member

[Also, TPMS sensors are programmable to the vehicle - no way I know of to alter parameters - that is programmed in the BCM. Just my 2cents[/QUOTE]
    After market sensors arrive blank and must be programed to the vehicle before they can be used.
    Dorman, VDO, etc, etc. AT this time you have to define pressure ranges
    programing and relearn are two different processes. Relearn is communicating with the vehicle BCM

15. Fless

Fless Active Member

Changing from your OEM tire size to one with a higher profile can tax your tow capability somewhat, causing your truck to work harder. Taller tires will also make your speedometer less accurate. Here's a site where you can compare different tire sizes: https://www.discounttire.com/learn/...MIzbyonMz02QIVWJJ-Ch3IqA9MEAAYASAAEgL_0fD_BwE
    _

16. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Unless there is a reason or need to up size the tire diameter then don't ..

Go with LT tires bfgoodrich all terrain ta ko2 .. run them at about 40 psi..

xxxapache likes this.
  17. xxxapache

Good advice^

18. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

edit

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  19. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

As you can probably guess from my state map, we tend to tow long distances.

In addition to having the right load range etc., I'm also concerned about ride quality, road noise, and support far from home.

While national automotive chains are normally not my first choice, for tow vehicle tires I defer to them due to national support.

I once had to get tires maybe a thousand miles from home. I wanted support all over the country so I went to a national chain where I was talked out of going with the Michelins I was replacing and talked into using some other well known brand. They were loud as heck and a tad squirly.

If you're towing for thousands of miles 5-6 hours a day this can be VERY annoying. When I got home that local national chain happily ordered the Michelins that I originally wanted and swapped them for the tires that I had just put a thousand miles on. All it cost me was the slight up-charge for the higher tire cost. The Michelins were as quiet as I'd hoped.

Of course tires need to be in the right load range, but road noise and ride quality are very important to me when towing long distances. I just shake my head when a highly lifted truck with huge aggressive tires passes me doing 75-80mph towing a 30' camper and sounds like a plane going by...

neighbormike likes this.
  20. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

@nhlakes are you running the Michelin Defenders or LTX?