What't the deal with Boondocking...

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by bandc12, May 18, 2011.

1. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

The Tularosa Basin tends to stay hot after June. Daytime highs near the century mark and nightime lows maybe low 80's.
    We do have the option of heading into the mountains but even in the summer can get quite hot thankfully nightime will fall 30 or more degrees.
    I don't envy you folks in Texas as I know the temps don't drop much in the evening and that with humidity [:(O].

2. huizarr

huizarr Member

That is true about the temps not dropping quickly, at 10PM it can still be in the high 80's to low 90's and the heat index is often 5+ degrees above the air temp.

I guess we have been lucky then. Most of the state parks we have been to are quiet (there are people around but they are not obnoxious). Some even have nice views into river valleys and across lakes.

3. colorado_camper

colorado_camper Member

Well, based on the above explanation, I guess what I'm doing next is Dry Camping, not boondocking. I have just been through the Forest Service website and, under the San Isabel National Forest section, there is only dispersed camping available at primitive campgrounds, such as Lakeview where I just booked. 9,200 feet above sea level, water by hand pump and toilets are the only facilities. (It's close to where I went snowmobiling in April although this picture is at 12,000.)

[​IMG]

There's a USFS district office in nearby Leadville so I'll probably drop in there and get the correct info from the horses mouth on where to do boondockery.

4. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

There's plenty of boondocking (dispersed camping) in San Isabel. DW and I like to come up through Alamosa and we boondock a bit north of the Great Sand Dunes around the Crestone area. We are actually looking into the Gunnison/Leadville area for next season (no time this year)....I've been reliving camping experiences from my childhood with my dad and he said we did a lot of camping around Gunnison/Leadville so I want to go back and check it out.

I was just looking at the epgSoft website at some developed CGs and there are some that actually indicate "X number of sites at the CG w/ dispersed camping nearby. I would give the Ranger District for wherever you're looking at a call and they can tell you better.

Often there are restrictions to boondocking (dispersed camping) near bodies of water. Also, there can be restrictions in certain areas for re-vitalization if the area has been heavily used. Also, certain stages of fire restrictions will result in dispersed camping not being allowed.

5. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Oops....Crestone is in the Rio Grande National Forest and Gunnison area is Gunnison NF.....my bad, but still can't imagine that there is no boondocking in San Isabel.

6. Yellowkayak

Yellowkayak Popups.....when sleeping on the ground gets to you

Hey Orchid...Osceloa Forest is my old stomping grounds while I attended Lake City Community College in Lake City, Florida. I had a 1972 Toyota Station Wagon I used to explore old logging trails....never got stuck the car was so light. I never knew about the camping there too...now I know, and we will be spending time in the forest there so I can relive my college days...no I was not a routy kid.

Thanks Travelhoveler for the info.

JJ

7. JETent

JETent JT

For Texas--based on my tent camping experience only--you are hosed for boondocking. Very limited resources in regard to public access land. Big Bend National and SP, South Padre Island National Seashore and uh....well, pretty that's much it. SPs in Texas are over run and under funded (just like the Texas public education system...). Boondocking for Texans = go to New Mexico or get to know some private land owners. Venting complete. Thanks. Good luck in your search.

Later,
    JT

Onward.

8. huizarr

huizarr Member

I agree with JETent. Something like <2% of the land in Texas is available for public use. There are no BLM lands, only one NF (Sam Houston). As I was corrected there are only 2 NP's in far west Texas. Texas is such a large state with little opportunities to get away from everyone and it all. For many of us it is 6 hours or more to get to the NP's. When you want get away for a long weekend that will not work. JETent mentioned boondocking on Padre Island. I have camped there once back when it was only DW and I. It was in the late autumn, it was humid and miserable.

I am glad many have opportunities to get away from civilization and away from all their neighbors.

I have one possibility at a cousins farm south of San Antonio. But I would not do it right now, way to hot and humid. I would burn lots of gas keeping a genny running. I might consider it in late autumn, or early spring. Aside from that I don't see me boondocking.

9. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Try again. There are three other national forests in Texas: Sabine, Davy Crockett and Angelina, plus the LBJ/Caddo NG under USFS administration. And in addition to the two national parks, you have two large NPS national recreation areas, and one of them, Lake Meredith NRA, allows boondocking. And while Padre Island may be hot and miserable in the fall, some winter weekends would be pleasant. Look, you have a coastline; many of us have to cross other states to get to one.

10. ColoDisco

ColoDisco Member

I am looking to boondock in the Buena vista area. Kind of borders San Isabel/Gunnison and Pike national forests. I use my funtreks books to find good dispersed areas. I primarily go for the 4 wheeling trails and some occasional fishing. I will report back on here with what we find and any info I can pass along.

11. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

That would be awesome.....DW and I were just saying that we need to head back up that way. I've been trying to get my dad to spill the beans on all of the great camping spots I remember as a kid. Unfortunately he doesn't really remember specifics, only general areas and the Gunnison area was one that we frequented quite a bit.

Looking forward to some reports.

12. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

They changed the name of LCCC to Florida Gateway College. I don't like it.

I'm going to head out in the forest sometime in October and give it a try. There is a real campground there, Ocean Pond, where I will end up if I chicken out.

13. CampCrazyMom

CampCrazyMom Member

Orchid, I'm a scaredy too! So, you go try it & let me know how it goes. Then maybe I'll go! I like the mother's milk!!! [LOL] [LOL]

14. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

You'll have a blast....nothing to be afraid of at all......of course, I say this as I'm in process of making my first ever CG reservation in 36 years of camping for the Grand Canyon in October. I'm scared to death.....will I like the site....is it big enough for my camper and TV.....how close will my neighbors be, etc. Even looking at the CG map give me heart burn seeing all 350 camp sites. I've been holding my finger over the "ENTER" key for a week and a half now for these reservations.

I know when you hear people talk about boondocking and the peace and solitude, etc.....it can seem like there just won't be anyone around at all. In my experience, nothing could be farther from the truth. Boondocking is pretty popular and you'll most likely be surprised at how many people you see as you head down the forest road. If there is relatively easy dirt road access and camping is allowed, people will be out there. The difference is that....while you may have "neighbors", they may be 1/4 mile up/down the road. My closest neighbor I've ever had while boondocking was maybe 100 yards down the road. But like I said, you will see people out there and I would introduce yourself to your nearest ones, just so they know where you are and you know where they are incase anyone needs any help with anything.

You probably won't see many big rigs....maybe a handfull of TTs and p'ups.....and a lot of tenters just getting out into the wilderness.

15. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Some boondocking photos to wet your appetite:

[​IMG]
    Jemez Mountains, NM

[​IMG]
    Jemez Mountains

[​IMG]
    Rio Chama Canyon Wilderness, NM......Forest Rd 151 heading in.

[​IMG]
    Rio Chama Wilderness.....the view from camp Wolfman.

[​IMG]
    Rio Chama Canyon Wilderness.....Camp Wolfman - nearest neighbor about 1/4 mile back down the road.

16. CampCrazyMom

CampCrazyMom Member

Ok, thanks a lot, Wolfman! Those pics are awesome. The scenery is so wonderful!!!! Alright, I am going to check into this. And, like the others said, the price is right!