Wheel Chocks Expiration Date

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by CampingFamily1, Jun 26, 2019.

1. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Active Member

We use 4 of these plastic wheel chocks on the front and back of each wheel.

[​IMG]

I called Camco Tech Service (camco.net) about the Expiration Date on 6/26/2019.
    The plastic lasts 4 year and then you need to replace them. This is not only due to UV exposure but due to plastic aging.
    The expiration date (not mfg date) which is stamped on the chock is often wrong since the factory does not bother to make sure it is set to 4 years later.
    From the date you purchase them new, you need to record your own expiration date 4 years later.
    Camco has "gone around and around" with the manufacturer and can't get them to change the expiration date to the correct date in the future.

Orchid likes this.
  2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I have the same chocks, almost 20 years old. They still work. I was going to replace them as i can see hairline cracks and some deterioration. I think its more a lawsuit thing , just in case. When , and if i get new ones I'll test that theory a bit..........

neighbormike, Orchid and Milemaker13 like this.
  3. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Aside from aging the problem I have with plastic chocks is that they slip out of position easily. [V] Way back when we owned our 2000 Santa Fe I used a BAL Leveler around the low side tire and an adjustable BAL Single Tire Chock around the high side tire - no way was this trailer ever going anywhere. [A]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those who prefer leveling with wood or Lynx levelers can absolutely ensure that low side tire won't shift either by using a second adjustable BAL chock around it.

4. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Are you kidding? And if I don’t record the date?

kcsa75 likes this.
  5. Milemaker13

Milemaker13 Active Member

Then they are good forever!

BelchFire, hayyward, 1380ken and 2 others like this.
  6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We're used to plastic degrading in our climate, so should remember to check the plastic chocks. Our main chock is now the BAL chock, we got tired of having the plastic ones blow out from under the tire on concrete (i.e. our driveway), among other issues. We use the BAL chock on the high tire if we need to level; we use Lynx blocks for that, and have the chocks that go with the blocks. If the site is level, one tire gets the plastic chocks.

Attached Files:

7. CampingFamily1

That’s my problem today. I can’t remember when I bought them. Expiration stamp says 2014 but I don’t know if that’s accurate. I just used them on my angled driveway to wash and de-winterize the camper and they were fine but who knows what the real date is.

8. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

I'd never trust plastic chocks to properly secure a trailer on our sloped driveway. I instead use the weight of the trailer itself bearing down on a set of DIY wheel pads, one on each side of the trailer, to absolutely prevent it from shifting in any way. This pic is from one of our dual axle travel trailers but the principle is the same with a single axle popup.

[​IMG]

9. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Use a rock. I hear they age pretty well.

IDAR427, BelchFire, hayyward and 12 others like this.
  10. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

image.png

11. tfischer

So the plastic only starts aging when you purchase it? Makes good sense to me!

12. CampingFamily1

Yes I asked that too. They said they don’t keep large amounts of safety stock so you can assume they are just recently manufactured once you purchase them from amazon or large stores with good turnover of stocks. I think they need to force the manufacturer to get the date right as part of critical quality requirements or refuse delivery. I wonder what other elements of quality are ignored too.

13. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I've never heard of an exp date on wheel chocks. I'll have to look at mine tonight.

I would think most get run over, lost, or left behind before they expire. [LOL]

14. tfischer

How bad would a chock have to fail to not stop your camper from rolling? Even if it were cracked or partially crushed, I don't think your camper is going anywhere... and then you can replace it after that.

This sounds like a total ploy to sell more chocks.

BelchFire, kcsa75, xxxapache and 4 others like this.
  15. CampingFamily1

They say the plastic gets brittle. I’m guessing 4 years is on the very safe side. Probably they did lab tests at when plastic gets x% brittle and when it maintains x% strength. But x is probably set for the very safe end of the continuum. Just a guess.

Old chocks say Exp 20xx
    New chocks have a tiny circle with a year and arrow pointing to a month. No indication that means expiration

16. tdiller

tdiller Active Member

I could not believe it myself but infant car seats are also expiring. Because of the plastic.

xxxapache likes this.
  17. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Yup, and i chock both tires so both would have to fail at the exact same time, never going to happen.

18. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

What I mean is WHO CARES ?

kcsa75 and tfischer like this.
  19. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Wait, I didn't notice this before: image_BS.gif

tfischer, Sjm9911 and gladecreekwy like this.
  20. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

The car seat thing it totally true. The expiration dates are clearly visible and obvious on those.

As far as plastic chocks, never thought about it. We have some really old ones mixed with newer ones. Not sure which are which. We always camp on dirt and I put them in tight with a mallet, so don't see them popping out.

BAL leveler on one side and pup is always fairly level to start with, where we live and camp. We mostly use the BAL leveler to make it un-level, so a/c will drain off the back.