Wheel Chocks Expiration Date

CampingFamily1

Super Active Member
May 12, 2007
Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN
Yes, you have to wonder how important is it if they don't even bother keeping the expiration date stamped on the chock correct. Of course, to satisfy the lawyers, the date stamped is always older than the true expiration, not updated forward monthly in the factory until they feel like it, so in a lawsuit they would always be covered.

I looked at Walmart, and the brand new chocks are dated March 2018, so that would mean they were manufactured in March 2014. More likely that's just the last time they bothered to update the expiration date stamp on their mold. That's a long time to be not updating the date. Amazon customers report the same problem. Probably the manufacturer is more focused on cost savings than customer concerns about this.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
How long is water good for?
Not long , the water company needs to make a profit! Last i looked it expires a bit before my milk does!
In all seriousness, it will hold . Its juat there way to get out of lawsuits if it doesn't. If you feel your chocks aren't up to speed or dangerous by all means replace them. If there solid, and hold, like my 20 year old ones, then stay the course. Everything fails at one point or another, i think were smart enough to realize it before it happens. When we see it degrading, we fix or replace it.

tombiasi

Super Active Member
Sep 1, 2012
Northwestern New Jersey
Not long , the water company needs to make a profit! Last i looked it expires a bit before my milk does!
In all seriousness, it will hold . Its juat there way to get out of lawsuits if it doesn't. If you feel your chocks aren't up to speed or dangerous by all means replace them. If there solid, and hold, like my 20 year old ones, then stay the course. Everything fails at one point or another, i think were smart enough to realize it before it happens. When we see it degrading, we fix or replace it.
I know you were speaking in jest but just an FYI: virtually all the water on earth now was already here for billions of years.

generok

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 7, 2013
Anchorage, AK
I was out doing some work on the rig last night and I looked down at my chocks and thought "Maybe I should check the expiration date".

Nah, just kidding!

Maybe its more like food. It's not as much an expiration date but more like a "Best By:" date. So, as they age, your chocking experience may differ from new chocks.

It is interesting there's a date on them at all though. I wonder what other stuff we use commonly has a date on it? Maybe shoes, computer keyboards, roof shingles???

MNTCamper

Super Active Member
Jun 14, 2014
MN
I've been using the same plastic chocks for 14 years, they are just fine. There is virtually no degradation out of direct sunlight.

J Starsky

Super Active Member
Aug 3, 2017
East Central MN
I'm an Wedged Oak kinda guy. Mine expire in 82 years, so I got that going for me.

which is nice.JPG

Attachments

• which is nice.JPG
    which is nice.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 0
  • which is nice.JPG
    which is nice.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 0

CampingFamily1

Super Active Member
May 12, 2007
Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN
Here's a wheel chock that's past ready for replacement. Saw this being used on a recent camping trip.
Looks like its faded from being in the sun way too long and then someone drove over it, cracking the top off.

DSC_9894-1-X2.jpg

tzmartin

Not here for a long time but here for a good time!
Sep 9, 2015
Clayton, Georgia
So, just for idle conversation, are there any physics majors out there? Who made the calculation to decide the of amount of chock material to stop a 13 inch wheel from moving? It seems that someone, somewhere in the industry decided a 4 inch tall chock with a 30-40 degree slope will stop most trailers from rolling away. If your chock expires, what's the minimum lump of crushed plastic you need to have to keep the tire from rolling?