Wheel hub feels too hot to me

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Fishman1, May 6, 2019.

1. Fishman1

Fishman1 Member

we’ve recently returned from a trip to south GA. Whenever we stopped for a bathroom break, I checked the hubs for too much heat by placing my hand on the hub. On the way down everything felt nice and cool. Did the same thing on the way home and they felt warmer by touch. What I don’t know is how hot is too hot and I don’t understand how they were cooler on the trip down.This is a 97 Coleman Taos with bearing Buddy’s. How hot is too hot. Any insight would be appreciated.

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

You need a thermometer to check the temps....Without one to check, I would be suspicious of the hubs if they were too hot to hold my hand on.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. joet

joet Well-Known Member

How hot is too hot? Without a thermometer you don't know. Can you hold your hand on them without being burnt? When was the last time the bearings were inspected/repacked? Braking action will increase heat along with speed

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I agree with the above. Question that need answering are when where the barrings last serviced? Did you hit heavier than usual traffic going back? Was the weather hotter outside on your return? For me when I learned I had a problem with mine was when I literally Burt my hand when I touched the hubs. So to say the camper went straight to an shop vrs home.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. Fishman1

Fishman1 Member

Very warm,not slinging grease. I could hold my hand on the hub but it was very warm. I have a thermometer I will check it with that soon. What temperature is acceptable ? I don’t understand how the hubs were cool on my way down and have them get hot on the way home.Thanks for the reply’s.

6. Fishman1

Fishman1 Member

I will say that the temp outside was cooler on the way down. Was not hot enough to burn my hands,just hotter than before. I had it in the shop a month ago they claimed that they repacked the bearings then but I think that all they did was shoot some grease in though the bearing buddy’s.

7. daveo1289

daveo1289 Well-Known Member

Note that the braking of the PUP as you stopped could have increased the temps also. But as has been said, a thermometer is the best way to check them. The grease used to lube the bearings should have a "break-down" temp on the container. But as far as how hot is too hot, I'm not sure.

8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I use a non contact infrared thermometer I bought at HF for about $20.00.
    What I look for is comparing the temp of both sides and looking for a large difference in temps. There are a lot of reasons that temps will vary As described above there are Lots of things can cause the temps to rise it does not sound like you have a problem (my opinion).

9. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

One thing that I did notice is that when I went from using a time delay brake controller to a proportional brake controller the brakes ran cooler. It took me a day to figure out why! On the time delay controller when driving in traffic the brakes were constantly being applied even when crawling in traffic. The proportional controller doesn't do that. So the brakes are not being applied all the time in traffic. I also switched from bias-ply to radial tires which run cooler.

The other big thing as folks mentioned above is bearing maintenance.

10. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Not related but I would get rid of the bearing buddies.

11. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I use Bearing Buddies on all my non-brake trailers. Never caused a problem.

12. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Glad to hear that.

13. Fishman1

Fishman1 Member

Thank you for the reply’s but the pop up has no brakes. I do have a infrared thermometer And will use it the next time we go camping. One thing that I am thinking is we traveled about 300 miles one way and if the bearings were hot enough to cause a problem they would have caused problems before we got home.It may be me. I can tend to go overboard on certain stuff.

daveo1289 likes this.