Wheel spindle problem

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by gbberton, Feb 13, 2011.

1. gbberton

gbberton New Member

Help please. This weekend started to get into my new to me PUP. Its a 1999 Starcraft Meteor. when I took off the road side wheel and the hub, the inside bearing was in pieces. I had to rent a puller to remove the inside wheel bearing from the spindle. after removing what was left of the bearing and examining the spindle, I found it to be beat up pretty badly. I can see no way to replace this part short of replacing the entire axle. Is there someone here who has experience with this setup who can give me some direction. I'm good at cars but this is my first ever camper. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Gary

2. dfab

dfab New Member

can you post some picks ? As long as the part of the spindle that is messed up is the part that the bearing is on take a fine flat file and emery cloth to smooth out the problems ( work the file around the spindle don't stay in one place ) use a new bearing to test the fit it should be snug but not hard to slide on. A photo will help big time.

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Ditto. Many a damaged spindle can be cleaned up. Good photos will really help with our assessment. I lost a wheel bearing, ruined the drum on my loaded car trailer. Cleaned the spindle up on the side of the road. That was ten years ago and the trailer is still fine today. No seal problems or anything.

4. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

5. gbberton

gbberton New Member

Thanks Guys I appreciate the response. I tried to take some pics, but they didn't come out worth a hoot. Anyhow I cleaned the spindle up as best as I could and put it all back together. It feels fine but only time will tell and it is a Dexter Torflex axle. We are really anxious to get it out to a campground and see what its like. Thanks again Gary