wheel throwing grease

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by chucky, Jun 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. chucky

chucky New Member

I took my PUP out for a ~500mi trip last weekend. I noticed that the right wheel was all dirty, but then the left was not. It seems to be throwing out black grease and making spoke like stains. I felt the bearing cap at a rest stop, soon after noticing it, and it was not warm. I have no issues repacking a bearing, but why would the grease be coming out? No noises coming from it so far as I can tell.

Chuck

2. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

If it is throwing grease then your bearing seals are blown. This happens a lot when you have ezlube type axles and over fill.

Until you replace the seals, you will need to keep adding grease.

3. chucky

chucky New Member

Hello Centerville! I grew up in Kettering near Stroop and Marshall.

I'm all up for replacing the seals and repacking. I am starting to search around and eTrailer seems to have parts. Does anyone have recommendations for other sources? The Forrest River site was not especially helpful.

4. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

You probably have a Dexter axle so the parts will be standard and any trailer shop (not just RV shops) should have them.

I love the area parks around here. I'm a transplant from Georgia...

5. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

No problem with eTrailer. They're great, but any auto parts store not called Autozone should have what you're looking for.

PointyCamper likes this.
  6. Overland

Overland Active Member

My new Dexter 3500 has the ezlube and is throwing grease on one wheel from new.. guess i'll need to visit the shop that sold it to me. I assumed it was just an overfill situation.

7. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

It might be. Some of the ez-lube type axles do have over pressure release and will throw grease under those circumstances.

Overland likes this.
  8. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

I've posted several times about the EZ Lube system. If you look at some videos, the first time people use the system, they have to pump in half a tube of grease to start seeing grease come out the end of the axle. My question is; If the system is so good, why doesn't the factory use it to lube the bearings before shipping? The first time you pump the hub full of grease, the axle is out of warranty is out, so it is fine if you blow the seal out. There are a lot more physics going on inside a full hub while towing.

9. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

If it's throwing grease on the outside of the wheel, either it's overfilled or someone put the wrong grease in it and it's separating. Either way, the bearings need to be repacked.

10. mattlreese

mattlreese Active Member

I used the EZlube bearings and had the same issue. I ended up just paying the dealer to repack them.

Also you do not need to repack your bearings each year. My uncle who is a mechanic and owns multiple trailers though replacing each year was absurd. He said on a boat trailer it is a must, but no on a regular trailer.

11. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

NAPA carries trailer bearings and seals. If you can take a seal out, it should have a part number stamped on it. Just bring it to NAPA and they can look up that part number.

12. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

NAPA carries them but they are significantly more expensive than you can order them for.

xxxapache likes this.