Wheels

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Flymac1, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Flymac1

Flymac1 New Member

Can I put 20 in wheels on my 89 Coleman Columbia and where yo get them? Do they have to be balanced? Where is a good place to buy accessories and parts. Can you also buy curtains? Thanks in advance. Flymac1

2. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

It is unlikely you could fit such a large wheel inside the wheel well of your camper unless you performed some type of major lift on it. Even then, it would be unlikely you could find a wheel that size that would fit on you existing hubs.

3. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

And you'd need a ladder to get in it :eek:

4. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

You can probably get 13s under it if you do a spring over conversion on the axle. That should give you a 5 to 7 inch lift on the frame. If you have a straight axle you can just flip it but if the axle is cambered you'll need to do a conversion with new spring perches. You might as well upgrade your hubs to 5 bolts while you're at it. See etrailer.com for the spring over kit and other needs.

rescamilla likes this.
  5. Flymac1

Flymac1 New Member

Here is the tire that’s on it now and from what I’ve seen is much smaller should be. So what size tire should be on at 89 Coleman Columbia?

Attached Files:

6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Its a four bolt rim, how much bigger do you think you can put on it?when looking at tires , you need all the numbers , load, speed and size. You have a small camper, and the tire will be sized for that.

7. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

You have 4.80-8 tires on 8" rims now. Are you asking if you could put 20" tall tires on the camper or 20" rims? There's a big difference.

xxxapache and Snow like this.
  8. Fish N Farm

Fish N Farm Active Member

A lot of good advice here so for. Are you wanting to be able to carry one spare the same as your TV? That should be easy either buy an axle set up for a spring over or have some one cut your spring perches off and weld them on top of the axle. Then call the people whom made the axle and tell them what hub and drums you need for the conversion. I have toyed with that idea. Do not put passenger or truck tires on your pup. The side walls are not designed for the side sway of a trailer. The trailer tires should run fine on your TV but check with the tire dealer.

9. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

I have Michelins on the Aliner. It been from the tip of Florida to Kentucky, and many places in between. No sway. Trailer tires should not be on a tow vehicle.

10. flingwing1969

flingwing1969 Active Member

There is a current post by a member who is converting his PUP to a backcountry/offroad unit. Lots of info on what he has been doing for wheels and lift, and all the issues associated with it. Here's the link.

rescamilla likes this.