When did it start for you?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Orchid, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I loved this story as well. But, you missed that it was written by a "she." Us girls have amazing camping memories and traditions to carry on as well. [:D]

I love that you bought a camper and used it to take your siblings camping. That is really sweet!

Congrats on getting back to your roots. We enjoy tent camping as well. Being between campers never slows us down a bit. [:D]

2. sea-piner

sea-piner Member

Ooops! Sorry SBradley--No offence! But even more touching for me as a dad!

3. idler

idler Member

I was living overseas in 2009 and wanted a dog and to go camping. I moved back to the U.S., got the dog and didn't camp. I camped solo and then with some friends in 2014 finally. In 2015 I camped solo and with friends again. I really wanted (and still want) an Alto by Safari Condo, but I am so far from being able to afford a $30,000 camper that I might as well wish to travel to the moon.

So tent camping it was for two years (four trips total), and my dog HATED going into the tent. I don't know why it was such an issue. I have a 4-person Kelty tent, and it is spacious. He's a pretty calm dog usually, but the tent was a disaster of dragging him in or him busting out of the leash arrangement out of sheer stubbornness. In May 2016 I bought a pup that I felt I could handle on my own, and I camped 21 nights this past season (9 trips). Seven nights over the summer with friends and family on four different trips.

I like the pup, but I really think of myself as an RVer in waiting. Having walls and a stronger AC to leave the dog inside when I go off on sightseeing jaunts would be nice. For now, I enjoy camping and hanging around the site as a way to get away from work physically and mentally. I find it easier to pack than when I used the tent, but that is probably just experience. Also, having AC meant this summer I could camp in July without driving all the way to Lake Superior. I really appreciated that it opened up opportunities for me.

My parents never camped and didn't take us camping. They grew up black in Louisiana in the fifties and sixties. And I grew up mostly in Missouri. Mid-Missouri is beautiful, but it also full of hate groups. There are also hate groups in Wisconsin, but the campgrounds I have gone to have been filled with mostly city-folks who have been friendly.

4. Ryanm

Ryanm Member

One weekend the family across the way had never camped before. They pulled in, unloaded all the stuff they had bought at Wally World and set it up. Then they looked around, figured out what else they needed, and went shopping again. My 8 year old daughter, who had been playing with their daughter, built and lit their fire for them. She got an extra smore that night. :)

Poor kid isn't even in Girl Scouts because they were all about selling cookies, but she's a camper!

5. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

I only went camping as a child 1 or 2 times. I was very young and only have the vaguest of memories of the outings. However my parents did give me the gift of a great love and respect of the outdoors. Many trips to the beach, forest preserves or lake filled my adolescence. From vacations to just grabbing some fried chicken and eating it at a local lake or fishing with my dad. Our home also honored nature with beautiful old oaks, natural landscaping and bird feeders as well as an acceptance of the raccoons, opossums and occasional skunk that shared our land.

My early adult years I found myself camping the first time with friends on a skydiving weekend. Now that was exciting! A few more camping trips minus jumping out of an airplane followed. I loved it.

Marriage and children with limited funds started the frequent camping in a tent. My girls loved it as much as I did! DH wasn't as excited about it so I started taking the girls and leaving him home. I also discovered camping groups that did rock climbing and kayak camping! I did those solo and after deciding it was safe went with my girls!

Now I had always thought a pop up was something I would be interested in and would always look at them at campgrounds. I was very curious about what they looked like inside. I found out this spring when I went to a local dealer and checked out the two he had open. The third one I entered was the one on CL that I purchased!

I now am camping with my granddaughter and I hope to instill the same love of the outdoors.

6. Kb2yht

Kb2yht New Member

For a long time I was completely confused by the appeal of RV's in general, and TT's and especially PUP's.
    If I was to go camping I would take a tent, if I was to be in a spot for a long time, I had a Wall tent and pavilion, cots and rope beds and a stove with a hot water tank.
    What could a RV, much less a PUP offer to improve on that ?

That started to change when I spent a summer with my friend Amanda and her family, who have been full timer's for as long as I've known them. They would say really more Wandering lifestyle than RV people. Either way, they lived, worked and learned very comfortably out of truck back unit and a set of canopies and a small tent.
    When we would stop for a short time, like a Friday night and Saturday event, or when it was raining, The extra work to set up my tents and kitchen was really noticeable. More than one night Mom took pity on us, and we all found a way to fit in the Truck for dinner and drying off.

Despite the utility, I always stayed with my tents.

Years later, when my DW started camping with me, and we had Children, we started to stay more and more often at places that we could use a Trailer.
    I tried out a TT ( a really nice Airstream ) , but I could not get comfortable in the hard-walls, and it would limit the places we could go.
    So I started looking at other options. HTT's and PUP's. I had probably looked at 200+ PUPS and HTT's, new and used all over. It became a hobby when I would travel to look for different models and styles in different parts of the country.

When I first saw the OR-3 it was like stupid teenage love, It had everything I wanted, was tall enough, and the proportions were right for a big person, and it appealed to the tinker in me, with lots of cool mechanics to mess with :).
    I had not wanted to buy new, so it still took me 6 months of trolling craigs list to come around to actually being willing to buy it.

I wish I had stated looking sooner, we have actually been able to go camping again for real. 12 trips and 35nights last year, and 10trips 28nights this year.

7. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Someone gave me a "backyard tent" when I was around 6 or 7, you know the kind without a floor and just a single wooden pole on the inside to keep it up. I wanted to go"real camping" in a real campground though as a kid in the worst way but my dad wasn't really interested in it. His words to me were "I had all the camping I ever wanted at Ft Sheridan" . My dad is great guy but he's 93 right now and I don't think he's ever camped since WWII. But I really had the camping bug bad. I had a tent in college and used it a couple times and then I bought a tent again around 1980. I remember as a kid being fascinated with the campers that slid into the back of a pickup truck bed. I dreamed about being the lucky kid that got to sleep in the bunk that extended over the cab....if only. I went to RV shows and was always interested in having something. I did the YMCA program we have here called Indian Princess for Dad's and their daughters. The 2 of us went camping a few times and that gave me the desire to do family camping. I bought the first camper I had sometime around 2000. I absolutely knew nothing about what I was doing and I think that was before "Pop Up Portal" so I was just winging it. We had some good times and it served as the family bond with me and my girls after their Mom and I divorced. Lots of great memories and looking forward to a lot more. I've literally worked 70 hours a week since 1982 and opportunities have been limited but we've managed to squeeze in a few. I'm looking forward to having some more time in retirement in about 3 years and the pop up to me is the perfect camping platform at this stage in my life. I remarried in 2014 and my new wife loves camping too. It's given me the opportunity to bond with her three sons and provide them with outdoor experiences.

8. Merlin14

Merlin14 Active Member

First ever trip was in a 1951(?) Nash Ambassador car to Pike's Peak. I remember Mom cooking in her Revereware over charcoal.
    Next year we had a Coleman stove and maybe a Coleman Lantern. Another Nash and another trip out west. Then a tent for about 8 years.
    A trip west again and a trip to Canada. There were now regular weekend trips to state parks! Only way Dad could really get away from work.
    They called him constantly, including nights, weekends, holidays.

Next came a Sears 600 tent camper. We ran the wheels of that thing, Bryce, Tetons, Canada X 2, Wyoming, Washington DC. WOW!
    Parents made sure I saw and went.

Empty nesters now, we go for ourselves and with people from this portal. We took 2-3 wks to Colorado in Summer and plan return in 2017.
    This is the 3rd pup for DW and me. One sold when hit hard times, one worn out and scrapped for $10, and now our Palomino Pinto.

We even took it with us when we bugged out for a hurricane a few years back. We would have had it on our return if we needed it.
    No one else had anything like it.

It will get a lot more use in the months ahead. Retirement in a couple years may switch to a small TT, but the pup is THE place to be for us now.

9. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Well-Known Member

As a child my DH camped every year at Cranberry Lake, NY. Once his youngest brother was born his parents purchased land on a lake near Alex Bay and built a camp, which they still use. When I was dating my husband we tented at Cranberry Lake on Halloween weekend. Needless to say I was not impressed. My family did not camp, my mothers idea a vacation was a nice hotel room some place warm. Fast forward 18 years and I decided to tent with my DH and 2 DS'. We spent a great week in Hershey until the last night when it rained and we had to pack up the next morning with everything wet. I started looking for a pup when we got home. I found one, we went to see it and made the deal. It needed a new tent and a good deal of cleaning but we have been camping in it for 6 seasons now and can't wait for #7.

10. NorcrossFlyer

NorcrossFlyer Active Member

Not that long ago for us. Camped maybe 2-3 times as a kid with church groups but I was never really in to it. Started again when I was single in my 30s and continued with my wife and then with the kids. I/we enjoyed it but it was never a serious pursuit.

Then we borrowed a friends pup in October 2015 and everything changed. It was a early 90's Jayco. Small, old in years and wear but still functional. It was a great experience. Within a month we had bought our first pup on Craigslist (2000 Sun Valley) and went camping at a nearby state park to test it out. For thanksgiving we hauled it down to Tybee Island to camp with some friends. Then over New Years we left the kids with their grandparents and enjoyed 4 nights in Port St. Joe. After that trip we upgrade to a 2000 Niagara for the extra space, storage and cassette potty. In 2016 we have driven over 4000 miles and camped 29 nights. We still have one more trip on the books for December (3 nights at FDR State Park in Pine Mountain, GA). This isn't just me driving this. The kids get jacked up with excitement when we tell them we are going camping. The last two trips of 2016 (FDR and Unicoi) were actually my wife's ideas. Every place we go we buy a sticker from the campground or the general area and put it on the spare tire cover. We are living to fill up every inch of space.

2017 might not have as many trips as 2016 but we are planning a big trip out west over the summer where we will be gone for around 2 weeks. We want to do this for as long as we can. My guess is we stay with the pup until the kids get to the age where they hate spending time with us in close quarters. At that point we might upgrade. If/when we retire we're selling everything and living in a 5th wheel.

11. missybb

missybb New Member

In a nut shell...

I love being outside. But I hate camping - the lack of bed, the public toilets and showers, going to the water tap every ten minutes to rinse dishes or brush my teeth.

I LOVE camping in the camper (with our toilet shower cassette [;)] ). We are a self-sufficient entity.

12. Ryanm

Ryanm Member

Yeah, camping in a more civilized fashion FTW.

13. Fordiesel250

Fordiesel250 Member

Wife started camping with her family at a young age and then her parents purchased a starcraft popup while she was a teenager. I began camping as Boy Scout when I was a youngster. When we go married and had kids we tent camped and then my FIL offered to sell us the StarCraft popup that my wife had camped in for many years. It sure beat sleeping on the ground!

14. Vanisa

Vanisa New Member

Like I said in my introduction I was a late bloomer. My family vacations consisted of a weekend at Great America or a weekend in Chicago walking through the flea markets. I had a few camping trips as a member of the Civil Air Patrol when I was younger but that was in a cabin and my older brother didn't let me do anything fun. My first real experience was during NASCAR weekends with my friends. But then an old high school friend invited me to go camping with a group of our classmates. My sons were teenagers but they were up for the adventure. They would go on to be the campsite garbage disposals eating everyone's left overs. I continued to go back every year but always bunked with someone. 2 years ago I bought my first pop up from one of my friends. I used it for my NASCAR trips but I still hadn't used it for real camping until this summer. My sweetie and I packed it up and headed north to meet the rest of our camping group (which incidentally sounds like a Rally). We set up our pop up and then walked around to see what other set ups look like. We started a wish list. That's how I ended up here. So I guess technically I have only really camped once!!!
    Now I am mad at my parents for depriving me of all this fun. I hope my sons had just enough camping that they will want to join me once in a while. But first they need to finish college.

15. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo New Member

When did I start camping? What is camping? Carry water from a hydrant, use it, then carry it away? Daytime, go to another building to relive your self? One of the first things I remember Dad teaching me was how to light the fridge. (I was small enough to fit in the corner, Dad had to move it to reach) The summer I was 7, Dad burned down the outhouse, We had running water in the house!
    My first wife refused to sleep on the ground in a tent, so I bought a tent trailer. Loaded my Pan into the back of the pickup, hooked up, and started on a 2 week vacation. The 4th day, me and a few other guys loaded the trailer in the pickup so she could drive home without towing. I got home about a month later. That was the only time I used that camper, for the next 10 years my RV was a bedroll tied to a bike.
    The day Mother met the woman I have been with for over 30 years Mom asked "Is she a keeper?" Don't know yet, going camping next weekend to find out...

16. colorado_camper

colorado_camper Member

My Dad was in the British army in Borneo just after WWII and, after that experience, said he would never sleep under canvas again, and never did. My first camping was with the Boys Brigade (similar to the scouts except we had a better band!) where we would go for a week each summer. After that I bought rudimentary tent gear and backpacked/hitchhiked my way all over Britain.

Many years and adventures later, I was married and living in Colorado Springs. I couldn't resist the opportunity to camp in CO, of course. I bought tent, sleeping bags and all the stuff I had had previously but my wife was too fearful by nature and we didn't go very often. After divorce, I got much more serious and went a lot on my own and with a new girlfriend in Denver. I was considering upgrading to a nicer tent when I drove past a PUP for sale on the plains east of Denver. This was purely by luck because they were repaving a section of road on my way to a job and the PUP was on the detour. I went and looked at it and it needed a rebuild, roof, plumbing, electrical, brakes, etc. but I was game.

I offered him $100 for the 1977 Starcraft (less than I would have paid for a tent) and he said yes. This was spring of 2003 and I spent the following 3 months renovating it. My then g/f was not impressed; she kept muttering things like, "What'd you buy that for?" and "That's not real camping." I continued on until it was done and then spent a 2-night weekend in it on my own just to check it out. After the first night, I knew I was never going back to a tent. We then took our first trip in it, her, I and her 2 kids. The first words out of her mouth waking up after the first night were, "This is it. I love this thing."

I had that one for 7 years, longer than that g/f, and then was offered the PUP I have now. My current g/f was one of those who had always been intrigued by PUPs as a kid. Her uncle had one but the kids were never allowed in it. She nearly blew a gasket when she came to my house for the first time and saw mine in the driveway. I'm pretty sure that's the reason she's still here!! [LOL]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. jberreth007

jberreth007 Renoing our 91 Palomino TXL-LB!!! So much work!!!

I had never camped a day in my life, my parents were the stay at home or a hotel types. I never gave camping much thought until a few years ago and well into our marriage, my wife decided she wanted to go camping. Well, the first time she went, I was out of town so she went with a friend and all the kids in another friends popup camper. She came back transformed and swore she would get me out there. At the time I told her it would be a cold day in hell before I ever went camping! As you can all assume, that didn't last long and it was off to our first trip in the same borrowed pup with her and I and our three kids. I fell in love with it pretty much the next morning. Waking up in "nature" yet comfortable was what I needed to get the camping bug. We don't have a lot of money so the thought of buying a travel trailer or any other type of camper, other than the pup we had borrowed, was out of the question. So, for the first year we just borrowed the pup whenever we needed it. The friends who then owned it never used it and we had pretty much free reign. At a certain point, it came to our attention that our friends would be willing to sell the pup to us and over the course of six months we paid them a whopping $750 and she was ours! Since the time we decided to buy her, I have thought of little else other than what I am going to do and am currently in the process of doing, to renovate and upgrade her.
    All in all, I have to thank my wife for introducing me to the great outdoors and camping and specifically pop up camping. I love our 1991 Palomino TXL-LB!

18. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

This story reminds me of when the 11 year girl, who was our neighbor at the time, taught me how to start a lawnmower. [LOL] I was in my 30's.

This makes me really sad. [:(]

My family is white, but I was born and raised in the DC area and lived all of my life, prior to the last 10 years, between there and central WV. Being raised in diversity, I was never overly aware of race, but went completely color blind during 11 years that we lived in low-income housing in the DC area.

When all of the people you live with and love, and make wonderful memories with are all races different than your own, you start seeing people before color.

A dear friend, and her son, who are black, fly down once a year to visit. We usually go camping at the beach. I am honestly not sure if camping here in FL is diversified among races or not. I really don't see race, or perhaps a better description is that I can see it, but don't make note of it.

We did have some camping neighbors this year that were native to some other country. I only know that because we heard them speaking a mix of another language and English. I was impressed that their very young twins (maybe 2.5 years old) spoke and understood both languages.

It's interesting how many of us experienced this. PUPs are a mystery to outsiders. :)

We had one of those when I was a kid. Unfortunately, my parents hogged that big bunk and I was stuck on the very uncomfortable dinette bed, with my sister. It was the worst thing ever. There was nothing to hold the cushions in, like there is on PUP dinettes, so they always slid out from under us and we ended up sleeping on plywood. [:(]

The benefit was, that we kids did travel all over the country riding in that bunk and watching the scenery from that big window in front. Not sure if that's legal anymore, but it sure was an awesome experience!

I love this! [SUN]

Better late than never. Glad you finally found your way to fun despite non-camping parents.

I totally get her! :)

Let me tell you, those are some VERY good friends. [:D] I won't loan my PUP to anyone, not even my grown kids. There is just too much to know and too much to easily break on them. I think I would be more generous with a TT, but too much room for error with our PUP.

There are a couple of other replies on this thread where people have started in a borrowed PUP. Again, great friends! Better than me. [LOL]

19. tonyshell

tonyshell Member

The wife and i got a wild hair about 9 years ago. Avoided popups because we had some bad impressions and preconceptions. We bought a baby fifthwheel and it was not a pleasant experience. Too small, tough to backup, tough to tow. During one of our trips a fellow camper invited us in to see her popup. We were impressed and immediately sold the old trailer and spent the next spring looking for a popup.

I found a 98 Niagara on craigslist, met the guy on my lunch and took it home. Had it for about four years and had many great trips. The roof however cracked, delaminated and the storage box had water damage. I got a really good bonus that year and we decided we loved the pup but wanted to upgrade a bit. Sold the Niagara for what we bought it for and bought the bayside with the slide and tip out. It was quite the upgrade with the aluminum roof, plastic box and in perfect condition. It has been great for the last four seasons. However we decided its time for a change and are looking for a TT. Acutally sold the Bayside and watched it roll away yesterday. I'll miss it but not the set up and tear down.

20. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo New Member

I have always been surprised at the negative reaction of my friends when I talk about camping.

The only way I can understand this is the owner has totally lost interest in their camper. I know that I loaned that brand new tent trailer out at times after I got divorced. I have no idea what happened to that trailer.

We bought our PUP because of a puppy :) We where still enjoying the tent, but had a bunch of stuff to go with it. (Most we still use) I was shopping for a van type trailer to store the camping gear, so I didn't have to carry it all up and down the steps.
    Near Halloween of '04 DW and I went camping with our 13 year old Yorkie and 10 week old SiSi. Wife accused me of leaving the tent unzipped. Next day DW and Luke got in the tent to nap, SiSi and I went for a hike. We got back to site, SiSi went to the tent opened the zipper so Luke could come out... "Maybe we should look for something with a door?"