When did you switch to a pup

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by bburgcamper, Feb 20, 2015.

1. bburgcamper

bburgcamper 16 weekends a year camping just isn't enough.

I was purging files earlier and found the original receipt for our first pup. How long everyone has has been pup camping?

May 2008 2002 Jayco Qwest 10x last trip October 2013 totaled by hail 30 trips +/-
    December 2013 2005 Starcraft Centennial 3604 12 trips +/- and counting

2. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Bought my first pup in Houghton lake mi in 2007. Our tent flooded one too many times in the middle of a trip but I was not ready to go home yet so we went bought the first pup at closing time. Probably the worst purchase deal I ever made but I was not going home. Proceeded to come off the hitch 10 miles down the road. After a year of nightmares it got caught in a hailstorm and I traded it for my 2008 viking. That was a great pup.

3. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

We bought our first pop up in 1998....a Starcraft Ventue.

Pommom70 likes this.
  4. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Well-Known Member

We're "young pup'ers". Purchased ours in July of last year and took delivery in October. DW and I grew up tent camping in scouts and neither of us ever camped in an RV or PUP before. We had previously looked at one at CW a few years ago, but weren't ready to make a purchase yet and weren't really sold on the models they had. DW and I only camped twice in the half dozen or so years of marriage before the PUP purchase. I think what sold us on getting the PUP is the idea that we'll get out camping more often (or at least want to), not having to crawl around to get to everything inside our tent, not being freezing cold at night (especially since DW was pregnant on our last time tent camping), and all in all being able to enjoy camping a bit more. I know some people will say that your not camping unless you've hiked into the back woods with your gear on your back. I've been there and done that, but for us it's about enjoying our time and relaxing. The PUP has helped us to do this on the last two camping trips, and that's why we have another 9 planned so far this year and will probably add a few more short weened trips to the mix later on.

5. 4campers+g-kids

4campers+g-kids Member

1994, and we still have it and use it!

We tent camped before getting married. DW grew up camping in her parents pup, TT and Class C. I grew up tent camping with scouts and an aunt. When we decided to camp again after kids there was no way I was camping with kids in a tent, so....... A co-worker directed us to her RV dealer. We walked in, saw what they offered, signed the papers and picked up our new pup a few days later.

6. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

We bought ours the summer of 2010. I had been looking at popups for YEARS.....our needs continually changing throughout the "search".
    I had grown up tent camping. My wife and I tent camped, along with our son after he was born. We were just reaching an age that we wanted to sleep off the ground. I was 45 when we finally got it.

I do think there is an advantage to the experience gained through tent camping. There just didn't seem to be any "learning curve" when we began using our camper. I've known people who have never camped in their lives all of sudden purchase a popup or TT....and end up having to learn HOW to camp, along with learning everything about the their camper (towing, set-up, etc., etc.).

Regarding the title of this thread....not everyone "switches" to a popup. Some new owners have never camped!

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

While we bought our first pup around the turn of the century, we didn't use it as our main camp housing until after renovation in 2010.
    The first pup, a tiny 1984 Palomino Shetland with a 6' box and one bunk end was bought with the idea it would be an alternate to the ground tent on some trips. We'd had an especially wet trip to Grand Teton, Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks, and realized sleeping off the ground might be good for some trips. We were limited by our TV and what was available at the time.
    We used the Shetland on and off for a few years, until the canvas disintegrated. It sat for a while, until I got tired of seeing it parked in the driveway and said we needed to either sell it or fix it up. We did fix it up, which cost more than we'd planned - like most household projects. We used it for 2 seasons, and decided we needed to up-size a bit; it was great for my solo trips, but cramped if we got stuck inside on a rainy evening.
    We used the Cobalt for 3-1/2 seasons, and planned on many more. However, my deteriorating back forced a move to a TT last fall. There are things we'll miss about the pup and ground camping, but not having as much set up is great. My backpacking days are probably over, but DH still gets a trip or two a year, often while I base camp in the camper.
    Most years we get quite a few nights of camping together, I try to do a couple of solo and/or ladies' trips and use the camper as a portable hotel (for instance, going East to visit family). With all that, last year, I was out for 60+ nights, though DH far fewer.
    ETA: As Jungle Jim says, as long time ground campers, there wasn't as much of a learning curve when we began using the pup. With our both pups, inside storage space was limited, so we still needed to pack the TV with a good portion of our supplies. With the TT, most of the food will stay in the TV (except we now have a 'fridge and freezer), and we'll continue to use the Thule roof top carrier - nice to have attic space.

8. aquarose

aquarose New Member

We bought out first pup in the spring of 2012. My husband and I were always tent campers until we went on a trip with our son. We decided to do a weekend camping trip with our 2 year old on Cumberland Island. It was a relatively short hike to our site but that 4-5 miles changed our minds. My husband carried our son in the kid backpack and I carried everything else for the weekend. That was just a bit too much. So, when we started considering car camping we figured we might as well do it in as much comfort as we could afford. So we started looking at pop ups and bought one about 1 month later. We were hooked after one trip :)

We now have a 5 month old too so this is the way we will camp for many years to come. We love it.

9. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

New 1990 Starcraft star flyer in 1990 and sold two years later at a loss due to job loss and purchased another 1994 version in 2002 and that one in 2012 for out Jayco X213 TT because we or I should say, I wanted less set up and take down time and more camping time that we could do with with a TT. the only trade off is that I burn more fuel. IMHO...it was worth it.

10. efehser

efehser New Member

I grew up trailer camping with the parents, mostly long trips. Tent camped a bit in my 20's and 30's. Then on an early fall trip first it dropped below 30F the first night, and a thunderstorm rolled through and tore things up. I decided I was too old for that, er, stuff, summer 2012 bought the pup off CL.

11. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

... Very soon after the magic went out of putting up a tent in the rain...

12. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

This might be a dull response but here goes anyway. [A] We purchased a used 8ft Forest river about 10 years back. We used that for a few years and decided it was too heavy, hardly ever used the 2nd bed and it was starting to need serious maintenance. We sold that and searched for something smaller, more simple and lighter weight so any of our vehicles could tow it. We ended up with a 6.0 livin lite and been 95% happy with that. We've since lessened the maximum size of our auto's.

13. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

In 1985 we bought our 1st P'up, a 68 tent on a trailer, used it to move to NC and lived in it for 3 months. 2 kids and 3 Pups later We moved into a Hybrid and started taking the Grandson camping....he just turned 3 and has been on 14 camping trips with us since he was 6 months old...several in a tent..

14. kstephens

kstephens Member

My venture into pop up ownership was more of a compromise vs. and upgrade. I grew up doing outdoors activities. However, we never had a camper as we always had a boat. I was/am very avid at backpacking/hiking. My wife likes the outdoors (hiking, paddling, fishing...) however, does not like giving up comforts for sleeping. We also have 5 year old twins that I want to grow up with experiencing the outdoors and seeing the country. So a more modern PUP seemed like a good choice for us - AC/Heat, beds, hot water...

At first our goal with the PUP was to get out and enjoy camping. My wife and twins have loved every trip. Now our goal is to travel the country with it and see as many National Parks as possible over the next 5 -6 years. My wife is already discussing our transition to the Dark Side when the kids are older.

15. jman1200

jman1200 http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/jmanotas/

Three events:
    -I had (still have) a very nice and comfortable 10x20 3 room tent but it started to leak so I got a big tarp to cover it. Got tired of carrying and setting the tent plus the tarp.
    -Got tired of inflatable mattresses, waking up with by butt on the ground. Not being able to sleep well when I was supposed to be having a good time was a huge issue for me.
    -We like comfort so carry too much stuff, got to a point that we were spending 2-3 hours just unpacking and organizing after each trip.

Then we decided to switch.... and never going back !

16. campfire Joe

campfire Joe Active Member

Last year was our 1st year, got our popup in May. We had been camping in Tents since the mid 70's. It was time for a change, I guess.

17. bropaul

bropaul New Member

When I got too old to get up off of a deflated air mattress! [LOL] We had a great tent and I love camping but when I said, "I can't do this anymore", my DH went without me (with his brothers)! So I went online, having recently been introduced to eBay and bought our first Pup, a '93 Coleman Destany for $500 ... and the seller delivered it to us because we didn't have a hitch on our TV yet! A basic model but came with an add a room and getting off the ground was sheer luxury and it had a king size bed, too! We loved it and used it for 6 years before I found our '03 Westlake (eBay again) and upgraded (AC/heat, water, frig, potty, showers and 2 king beds). I did have to find another add a room as we were spoiled by the extra dry area without mosquitoes. This will be our 7th season with the Westlake. [:D] BTW, our first time camping in a modern CG was with our first Pup, we had always camped on the shores of a river or lake someplace 'up north'. Still enjoy those places but appreciate having a potty, water (not in a 5 gal. jug) and the best sleep ever!

Diane

18. dvmmatt

dvmmatt New Member

We bought our first popup a couple of weeks ago! Got tired of booking hotel rooms for hose show weekends and having to leave the grounds. I do most of the cooking for our group and just made since to give camping try! We purchased a 2002 StarCraft that was rarely used by previous owners.

19. TheEvilKaren

TheEvilKaren "That's what I do; I drink and I know things."

Exactly 9 days ago. :) DH and I have been tent campers for 41+ years, except for our honeymoon when we took my parents' pop-up to the Black Hills. We've tented and backpacked in Rocky Mountain, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Glacier, Waterton Lakes, Banff, Yoho, Jasper, and Arches. We are both 63, and decided that it's time to get off the ground. I told DH years ago that I would know when it was time to stop sleeping on the ground when I could no longer squat to pee. Ironically, I've since discovered that squatting isn't really the problem -- it's getting up again afterward!

It's killing me that it's too cold to camp! But it finally warmed up enough that I was able to pull out the cushions today and buy fabric to recover them.

20. Buick Guy

Buick Guy Member

The DW and I grew up tent camping and when we met in 96 we tent camped for a couple years then we got a 1962 12' Shasta that we used for a couple years, we then moved up to a 70's 20' TT, 2001 our DS came along and we had family with sites at a campground so we bought a 40' park model and camped there for 5 years. In 06 our friends all started to get TT so we sold the park model and bought a 30' TT and had a good time hauling the TT around with all our friends. Slowly our jobs got in the way and we didn't use the TT but twice a year for two years in a row so we sold it and my truck and said we would just tent camp when we wanted to go. Well that worked a few times till we remembered why we got out of tent camping :) so we set out to find something light I could tow with my Jeep, that was cheap and we would not mind if it didn't get used often and we found the pup last year in June, we got to camp in it once before we sold our house and spent the rest of the summer dealing with that but we really enjoyed it and cant wait to get out this summer!