When did you switch to a pup

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by bburgcamper, Feb 20, 2015.

1. exploreco

exploreco Active Member

We got our first pup when we were dating. I guess i bought it. My boss was selling his cheap because they weren't using it and we talked about it. That was 2005.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

2. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

While tent camping for 30+ years, we always said that we would buy 'something' for extended-season camping when we retired. I grew up camping in a PUP. DH's parents had a TT. Neither of us wanted something big. What that 'something' would be changed through the years.

DH is a forester. After he retired but his replacement wasn't yet in place, he was asked to continue the field work (the best part of the job!) for awhile. That got us serious about shopping for a mobile 'motel and office'.

On the maiden voyage in spring 2010, it snowed 2 inches. The furnace was a blessing. The last of the field work was completed in late October that year as snow was falling again.

DH is really retired now and the PUP is strictly a recreational vehicle now. We still use the tent occasionally.

3. BTB

BTB New Member

First popup about 5yrs ago- a 1995 StarCraft Star lounge 1224 XL with rooftop a/c. Tired of tents in 95 degree weather. The popup let's us camp longer, more comfortably, and have guests too.

4. NJDrummer

NJDrummer Member

We have tent camped for 30 years with my cousin and her family. She and her husband bought a pup in 2009, and she immediately began pestering us to get one, too!

We finally pulled the trigger in September of 2013 -- bought a 1998 Viking Legend 2060ST that had more issues than we wanted to deal with, so in October of 2014 we traded it in for a 2010 Coachman Clipper 126ST.

When we camp with tenters I always have that little twinge of "Oh, I loved being in a tent," but it usually goes away when my furnace blows warm, wonderful air or when I go into my fridge to get something nice and cold, and especially when I climb onto my (not an air mattress) bed.

5. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I was born camping in a TT & have done a lot of tenting with the scouts & friends. The DW had some exp. with camping. When decided to marry her I proposed at a CG in my Dad's slide on camper. We have been tent campers for 12years now. My brother sold his big house & had no place to store his PUP so he gave it to us last Fall. It needed some TLC & we were able to get in shape enuf to camp 3 nights in November before the big FREEZE came. I will be replacing the roof, counter tops, flooring and I am sure there will be some extras along the way.

6. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

Dad had TTs when I was a sprout; I back packed and tent camped all through my earliest teens and into my forties. DW and had been tent camping for 20 years when we bought our pup, last year. We love it and the "glamping" it allows.

7. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office Gold Supporting Member

We tented it for over 15 years, including years with infants and toddlers. Last year we "upgraded" to a used PUP. The tent still gets pulled out occasionally for events such as father/son campouts, but for family camping we're really enjoying the PUP

8. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

We planned on waiting a couple years before moving from tent to pop up. Some one had one for sale nearby. We decided to just look at it.... We bought it that day. [:D] 1 1/2 yrs ago.

9. elizabeth583

elizabeth583 Member

DH talked about us buying a PUP for awhile and I resisted, saying we were just fine tenting. He finally wore me down one weekend in 2012 when we got pretty wet. We bought the PUP a week or so later and have never looked back. We look at the tent fondly once in awhile, but I am pretty darn happy with our king size memory foam topped bed with sheets and blankets, fridge, roof, etc. etc.

10. sallugo

sallugo Member

We had always tent camped and have enjoyed it. It wasn't till last summer where our friends were planning a trip up to Showlow AZ and had invited us. They all have 5th wheels, trailers, mobile homes, etc...we didn't want to feel out of place and said, "what the heck! Let's go look at a pup! " We purchased ours last summer 2014 and absolutely love it!!!

2014 Flagstaff Mac 228D
    2004 Ford Expedition 5.4L 4x4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

This will be our 3rd year...amazing after 2 years of being in a tent and maybe after this weekend's RV Show here in Jax we may be gone to the dark side in a small 17BH of one model or another...wish us luck.

12. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

My f-i-l bought an Apache Silver Buffalo in 1965 direct from the factory (we still have the original receipt). They used it for years with 7 kids, then handed it down to us when they purchased a Casita. We used it for 19 years, giving up our tent, then moved up to a Coleman. Apache was handed down to a brother and sister, who now share it. It is still used every year!

13. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

In spring of 94 my new family was out camping in tent... at Lake allatoona in Georgia. A thunderstorm took us by surprise and a lightning hit a tree 20 feet from my tent. My wife said its enough... no more tent camping.. but then she saw a popup and decided to try it... After 2 months of popup shopping I bought 94' Coleman Mesa. Sold it 5 years later due to needing money for 3rd child... (no health insurance). Switched back to tent. then in 2010 I bought 96' Coleman Key West... moved to California and bought 02' Coleman Niagara with my fiancee.

14. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

I bought the Dutchmen on 2010, Was kinda tired of tent camping all cramped and that year I was going to finally be able to take my kids with me which would have made 6 people... It has serve me well. Too big for my son and I solo fishing trips so I bought the Coleman last year. Been to 5 trips to this date. It has replace the big camper for short trips but we will still use the Dutchmen for week trips up until I get a hybrid.

15. Lewis

Lewis Member

I have been tent camping for 54 years. Got tired of trying to get up off the ground, so 5 years ago I came across a Flagstaff for the right price ( FREE ). Have not looked back. My DD didn't want to move up, but now she has changed her mind and loves the PUP.

16. gopherit

gopherit New Member

Only 6 months ago. Was a small tent camper but tired of crawling in and out on hands and knees. First night in the PUP-- wow what a difference! I know some of you think PUP mattresses are thin but I thought that first night was a perfect slumber! My dog seems to like it too. I am a firm mattress kind of gal, so maybe that is why you are all wanting mattress toppers and the like.
    I couldn't get the door to go on right the first time due to not taking seriously the leveling. Still I think this is the roomiest thing around short of a motel room! I have not been out in the rain or any serious weather yet.

17. natedog_37

natedog_37 New Member

I was a tent camper till 4 years ago. We did one year with my DD in a tent and them moved on up. As of Dec we now have a TT, and looks like this weekend I might have someone buying the PUP. I will say though I will miss the sound of rain on the canvas, but will not miss having to open it every time to load, unload, dry etc.

18. TaziGirl

TaziGirl New Member

6 months: I had been watching for a Leesure-lite excel for 5 years. When I found one on craigslist we got it. We have a 24' toy hauler. To big to fit in older campgrounds our friends enjoy. We also fight over who will ride motorcycle or pull Toy hauler. The Leesure lite is small enough to tow behind my motorcycle, prius, or tundra. We will be able to fit into those small campsites this summer :) And it will be going to Sturgis this year and 4 of us will be sharing it (it has an add-on room). Saving $$.

19. hrhchuck235

hrhchuck235 Member

I regret that growing up - our family never embraced camping - they thought a trip to Naples or Aruba was a far better vacation.

Luckily, and I can't remember why or how it came about, but five years ago we rented a PUP for a long weekend at Kolob Reservoir in Utah. That was it - we didn't buy the one we rented - it was a piece of junk - nothing worked right. But we came home and shortly after bought the first of our two Bajas. Just in time for our retirement years and even though I wish we'd started earlier, I'm thankful that we have a chance to make up for some of the time we lost.

20. pandpcamper

pandpcamper Lifetime camper, newer to pup

Upgraded to our 2nd NTU PUP having acquired the first NTU PUP over a period of 4 years. This will be our 5th year of having our own PUP (s), but borrowed a few times in the past. When the kids were growing up we tent camped and got wet every time and place that we went! DH had given up on camping! When PUP was available it took a little convincing, but he was the one who wanted to upgrade to the newer, better equipped one.