When did you switch to a pup

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by bburgcamper, Feb 20, 2015.

1. ENG45INE

ENG45INE New Member

We've tent camped since the 70s, we purhased a 2015 Jayco pup in November 2014, now we are just waiting for summer to arrive to begin using it.

2. rrouyer

rrouyer New Member

I grew up tent camping and now I am into Backpacking with minimal gear. My hubby is a condo/hotel kinda guy but loves the idea of camping. The pup is our compromise. We bought a used pup Summer of 2005, even lived in it after Katrina for two weeks. It developed a leak over that winter and by the time I realized it was so mildewed in areas, that I hated it. So we gave it to my brother and purchased a new Flagstaff by River Forest. We love going to state parks where there is golf and lakes for kayaking.

3. Just Joey

Just Joey Member

Resurrecting an old thread...

Previously I was a backpacker. Met DW and we backpacked some before the kids started coming (~20 years ago). We car camped a couple of times since. Always want to camp more but life seemed to busy to load up and go camp for a weekend. I know, I know - priorities! Make time to camp.

Just this summer we bought our 1980s popup from a friend. Always garage kept. In good shape after a little cleaning. Its been 20 years since it was last used.

Been getting it ready for a first trip along with a thousand other projects at our house lately. Excited to give it a shot. Future is uncertain. Teenager has announced that they hate camping and will never go. Well, we'll see about that 'cause we're not leaving a 14 year old at home alone. ;)

Would love to boondock camp and spend the days hiking/photography but I suspect the compromise that keeps everyone happy will be a campground trip with electricity... ;)

Maybe after a good meal, goofing off in the creek and a little Frisbee time camping won't be so bad. There is life without the internet!

4. jonkquil

jonkquil Active Member Gold Supporting Member

I van camped with Parents as a kid & slept out in the woods near my house with friends. DH camped with the Scouts as a boy. I moved to the US from UK in 2000, by 2001, some friends invited us to go camping with them so I had bought a tent and camping gear. By 2009 we had had enough of camp outs with leaky tents, air mattresses and hours of pack up time, so bought a 2007 Fleetwood Westake. Have never looked back since.

Pommom70 likes this.
  5. Andy G.

Andy G. Member

My birth family did not camp, but I began camping in the early 70s as a cub scout in a little pup tent and a sleeping bag. Didn't camp again until college, when I bought another small tent, and went to a friends private campground with nothing but my tent, a cooler, a small grill, and my Coleman lantern. Life happened, I got married, and wife didn't like camping, until she found a popup camper on Craigslist, and thought it might be fun to fix it up and use it. That was four years ago, and we still enjoy it, but our 14 year old daughter isn't a fan unless there is a good cell phone signal or wifi, lol.

6. kristy obryan

kristy obryan Member

We got our first 8 foot coleman in 2005 when my son had an asthma attack in a tent and I decided I had enough of tent camping. We then proceeded to "upgrade" every few years. We needed something bigger, so we got a used flagstaff. Then I decided I needed air conditioning and a pushout for extra space, so we got a Coleman Utah (we are definitely Coleman/Fleetwood fans) and were very happy with that one. However, im getting too old to get up at all hours of the night to leave the camper to use the restroom, so we just got the mac daddy of all campers....a Fleetwood Avalon. We've only used it once, but I LOVE it! So we have been pup owners for 15 years and have loved every minute of it.

7. Fish N Farm

Fish N Farm Well-Known Member

I have not camped much as an adult. Just junky TT's not roadable once I got them to the deer lease. The Little Woman and I bought a Little Guy 7 wide ruff rider tear drop in 2015 to drive the Great Western trail. After a couple of short trips in it we decided it was too difficult getting in and out to make a dash to the porta pottie in the middle of the night no air or heat. Plus there was no place for Ole Nasty our dog to sleep. So we traded it in in on a Flagstaff 228BHSE with a toilet and a shower. We took it out a few times She changed jobs and no vacation working on weekends me off on weekends. To say the least I was PO'd about something that cost almost $12,000 by the time you got out the door and you had to have 2 different grey water drains. One of my wife's requirements was no storage bill. I measured the garage 3 times and the sales brochure listed it as 18'8" closed. The garage is 19'6". When we got it home and started backing in she waves me off and I get out to unhook and the tongue is not inside the door. I told her that I need to go all the way back and she said it is. The dealer is now closed so I took the spare off and tried it again, still too long. Don't even ask me how happy I was about that. Now I take the spare tire carrier off and finally can close the garage door. Monday morning I call the dealer and I can here several of them scratching their you know what's. Then someone in the back ground says the measurements are with out any options. Guess what a spare is an option. We used it two times and I goy tired of taking the spare on and off every trip and moving the grey water hose back and forth every time someone needed to do something different. I went against the little woman's wishes on storing it and put it in an inside storage facility summer of 2017 and I had not seen it until late July this year. I decided to sell and I went over to get and once I looked at it again I decided I was going to over come all the issues, put it back in our garage and use it. My wife is Vietnamese and she has never seen the American west. I am going to take her to see that before I die even if it hair lip's the Pope. We are almost 70 a TT would be much easier but, 4 times as expensive to own. Besides I am a camper not a RV'er. The plan is to take her and her 2 sisters to Moab, SW Utah and the SW Colorado Alpine tour this summer. My wife doesn't drive on the freeway but, her sisters will drive anywhere. So if next summer you see 3 Vietnamese lady's trying to pack up a PUP help them and I will teach them about the tires and such before hand. They are ingenious people with an incredible work ethic. We will be in a PUP for ever unless I can get six numbers correct some night.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  8. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

The pup I have is my first and only “RV”. I grew up around motorhomes - my folks progressivley upgraded all through highschool, starting with a pop top VW van, and ending 3 motorhomes later with a 37’ Winnebago. I never tent camped as a kid, and the motorhome was simply a way to get from point A to point B,stay along the way, and visit the sites. My family did not do the hiking/fishing stuff, although as kids we brought our bikes along to ride in the campgrounds. That was about it.

Went to college, bought my first tent (small for motocamping) and started camping solo off my motorcycle, and a couple times with buddies. Tried some fishing (not for me), did some light hiking (fell off a mountain, so again not for me), but kept camping through college and after for a couple years.

Got married, DW not a camper or a biker. Life got in the way, had a bunch of great trips but tents didn’t factor into it until our son joined Cub Scouts. Suddenly I am back into tents in a big way. Have about 6 or so now, all for different uses. Same with sleeping bags, stoves, etc.

I was always fascinated with the concept of a pup though. Mainly because it was about the only kind of RV I could afford and store easily where I lived. I have looked at them off and on for years, but was never in a position to get one. Then my son gets hooked into the Camp Halfblood summmerr camp in Austin (big Percy Jackson fan). Unfortunately it is a day camp, so someone has to be there for a week to drop off and pick up. First year DW stayed therre in a hotel, and tried to scrapbook all week. Unfortunately the suite hotel was that in name only, not near enough room to spread out, and pretty much doubled to tripled the cost of the camp. Massive failure.

Son loved the camp though, and wanted to come back next year. I saw my opening - I could get a used pup, stay in Austin for the week and work out of the pup so I didn’t lose any vacation time. After 3 years the pup would pay for itself, and I had the money saved up. Found mine a couple hours away, and we did 3 more years of camp. It also got used for some weekend boys trips, a parent/son 13th birthday campout, and a couple merit badge colleges for scouts.

I still enjoy it, but I am looking forward to getting a HTT or TT that I can still store at the house, simply so we can use it as a family. For the way we travel, the pup is simply not a good fit for longer trips with multiple nights on the way. With limited PTO and the need to travel mostly in the summer for family vacation when it is hot means something bigger will work best for us. Until then I will happily continue solo camping when I can.