When Does School Begin

Econ

Super Active Member
Aug 18, 2019
Deep South
Just read @tfischer 's Glacier report.

We are retired and practice camp when others don't. Other than knowing when school opens in this state, when/ what is the average date when other school systems open/let out? These are rough averages.

theseus

Living the Darkside...
Silver Supporting Member
Feb 6, 2007
Centerville, OH
Depending on the school system here in southwest Ohio, sometime in the next 3 weeks. My son starts in 2 weeks and my daughter returns to college in Nebraska the week after.

I'm sure that you aren't coming this direction though :huh:

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
All depends where you are nj starts on like september 9th and goes to like the week after fathers day. Down south maybe west also they start earlier in like mid to end june i think and get out earlier. Probably because of the heat.

RCmom

Jun 19, 2021
New Jersey
New Jersey teachers union contract says school calendar cannot begin until Sept 1 and cannot extend past June 30 for regular school year of 180 days. Each school district sets their own calendar.

Tonya Harding

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2018
Virginia
Different districts in Virginia have various start dates, think most begin bout Aug. 23rd or so, used to be after Labor Day, but been out 50 years, not sure when it all changed. Lot of businesses depended on kids working the that holiday...

firepit

Super Active Member
Feb 26, 2020
Aug 15TH here Woo Hoo...Reserve America is telling....For me and my neck of the woods...Everything is booked solid
and the week after school starts there are spots galore that are available.
Now we just have to hope and pray that schools don't shut down and go remote again.
I got a bad feeling it's going to happen.

Hilldweller

Super Active Member
Mar 2, 2021
Hog Waller, GA
Speaking as someone who lived in metro Atlanta and was a public school teacher in the area, that pic has to be I-285. It looks like that a lot.[:D] I didn't mind starting in August, but I best not go into June if I do.
I think it's 400 but, yeah, normal Atlanta traffic. My dilemma is that I live in one suburb (the farthest from Atlanta) and work in another ---- there are only backroads between the two and they're chuck-full of schools.
And school zones.
And school busses.
Which is why I get up at 2:30 in the morning, work out, come to the lab early, leave early. I live my life in flow with school zones.

...sigh...

theseus

Living the Darkside...
Silver Supporting Member
Feb 6, 2007
Centerville, OH
I think it's 400 but, yeah, normal Atlanta traffic. My dilemma is that I live in one suburb (the farthest from Atlanta) and work in another ---- there are only backroads between the two and they're chuck-full of schools.
And school zones.
And school busses.
Which is why I get up at 2:30 in the morning, work out, come to the lab early, leave early. I live my life in flow with school zones.

...sigh...
I hear you. I lived in Barrow county and taught in Forsyth county, about 39 miles drive door to door. Still took an hour and a half though on good days.

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
MN starts after Labor Day. We used to like to do our vacations in late August as so many states start earlier, but now our kids have early activities before the official school start...

Hilldweller

Super Active Member
Mar 2, 2021
Hog Waller, GA
I hear you. I lived in Barrow county and taught in Forsyth county, about 39 miles drive door to door. Still took an hour and a half though on good days.
Haha. You were doing the Sugar Hill Shuffle before they widened 20. You wouldn't recognize it now.
I used to live in Sugar Hill ---- moved to Canton to be closer to an interstate and then got transferred to the Alpharetta site. Would've been better to stay in Sugar Hill in the long run.
My wife's office is in Ball Ground, still have bears roaming around. She says, "traffic? What's traffic...?"

Groomporter

Jan 30, 2021
Minnesota
School starts Sept 8 in Minnesota. The third Thursday of October is the Minnesota Education Assn. convention so that is the first date of the school year that school is out for a long weekend.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Here in NM, most schools begin in early August, I think next week or so (it varies a bit). They're out by the end of May.
We choose our travel by the time of year that is good for our destination, we try to avoid things such as Spring Break at Grand Canyon. That's pretty much impossible anymore, because it varies so. We mostly do a fall visit, which is great weather (usually) and less crowded (mostly). Other places we camp, such as in Colorado, are only open or reliably accessible for a few months.

Mark CASTELLANI

Platinum Supporting Member
Aug 23, 2019
New York State, Erie County
In New York State, most districts start the Day After Labor Day

When I lived in Houston, there was a time when they [and I'm not sure if it was the WHOLE State... "Cy-Fair" District, for sure] went YEAR ROUND... oh, my kids "LOVED" that LOL

Happy Trails!