When on the road?

Discussion in 'The Woodshed' started by John3M, Jul 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg H

Greg H Active Member

Not to hijack, but this may end up helping the original poster as well...the flame consistently goes out on my fridge when I'm on the road. I just have a standard Dometic RM2193, but I've had no luck with it staying lit. Now, my trips are usually less than 4 hours, so I don't reeeally need it, but out of curiosity, has anyone built a baffle in front of the flame/stack out of sheet metal or something to prevent it from going out? As long as the baffle is well clear of the flame, I don't see a problem with this mod?

2. Gvtexas36

Gvtexas36 New Member

I’m sure it is safe but I’m not comfortable running the fridge on propane while traveling and found out that my DC doesn’t work when the pup is closed. From another thread on this subject, I just freeze a couple bottles of water before my trip and place them in the fridge when I get to my destination. The pup fridge is just used to keep drinks cool and this gets it down to temp fairly quick.

Weefus likes this.
  3. Jkoht

Jkoht Member

I always tow with the propane fridge on. I usually start it a day before I'm leaving so it has time to cool down, and then whenever I stop for gas or a leg stretch I'll just check that it's lit. I've never had any issues with it staying lit unless there was strong cross winds. There's no more danger in towing with it on than there is towing with the propane tank simply being there turned off. If the pilot blows out the thermocouple closes the valve so that gas doesn't flow. If you were in some sort of accident where your propane line got punctured the tank itself has an internal valve that shuts off the flow in the event of a blow out. You'll be fine.

4. Weefus

Weefus New Member

So what? Are you bored??

5. Weefus

Weefus New Member

"Saves time"? Like you are busy designing the next space launch or something? If you are getting paid for your time, then earn it. If you are donating your time to help others, maybe you should rethink priorities -- e.g
    Forum vs space travel, which is more worthy of your time.

6. Michael J

Michael J Member

My norcold only 12/120 compressor fridge/ freezer seems to work well on both but not real good if I were to try to boondock it I have considered putting a 3 way in even bought a used one and tested it out before I installed it to make sure all 3 functions are working but haven't had the time to install and box it in vented to the outside properly

7. nitrohorse

nitrohorse Active Member

I, like Don, use my propane fridge for drinks and have a 12v compressor fridge for food. My only regret is that I wish I would have bought the compressor fridge sooner. My Dometic propane fridge will blow out while driving. The fridge in my TT will stay lit the entire trip to the campground.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. popup-flyer

popup-flyer Active Member

Got it then, your too lazy to search but not too lazy to entertain yourself as a troll on the internet making sure everyone knows your opinion on a subject.

Here is a novel idea, don't read stuff that annoys you. Close the browser instead.

FWIW when folks see the same question over and over they stop answering. I have seen it time and again on electronics/microcontroller forums or RC/Drone forums etc... You may not get the best answer that was given 5 times already in past. That is why search is a good thing to use.

So fundamentally, search. Read... if nothing relevant comes out of it then ask. That is how time is saved by both you and those who might or might not answer repeatedly and you might get more salient information.

If you want to ask without searching then prepare for answers like "Use search" and the rebuttal from people like you.

I answered the op's question if you note in my post but I'm sure you stopped at the first part that offended of my post suggesting that ALL opinions are relevant, not just the ones certain individuals agree with.

BBIAB, my rocket plans need tweaking.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  9. Weefus

Weefus New Member

I am a member and have as much right to be here as you. You have thin skin buddy and your nerves are dangling. Try the decaf next time. You obviously dont like to be questioned but you were disrespectful to the new person. A person with class would have owned it and apologized while welcoming new guy to your little "club." He called you on it, you did not respond, and I seconded him/her. Except for you and a couple other soreheads, people are respectful and helpful, while avoiding name-calling and insults, so I think I will stick around, thank you verrrymuch.

10. popup-flyer

popup-flyer Active Member

Clearly you are not as well informed as you believe yourself to be. NO one called me out on anything until you quoted my post suggesting that someone who suggests people search has just as much right to post as anyone else has. I however was NOT the person suggesting others search. Check Post 3. I was suggesting pretty much exactly what you wrote above about everyone having the right to express their opinion and defending that persons right to post. Couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks.

11. Weefus

Weefus New Member

My response applies to you as well. And you are quite welcome.

12. Regfran

Regfran New Member

I start by plugging the camper in to ac about a week before the trip if possible. That tops up the battery. At the same time I turn the fridge on “AC”. Once I am ready to go, I switch to “DC”. When I arrive at campsite, I switch to propane, immediately. Dc will drain the battery rapidly and won’t cool very well. Propane is vey efficient at cooling, so I don’t put lettuce or fresh veggies in the fridge, it may freeze overnight

13. Puppylove

Puppylove Member

Slightly off topic, but answering to you having the pup up before you go...Does your routine mean that you keep your pup up between trips?, or do you pop it up-pack-then down again? Just curious!

14. PennyPA

PennyPA New Member

We always told with our propane on. Maybe because it's DSL, we never had to turn it on in the campground either. Of course, we don't drive longer than 3 or 4 hours. We live in our RV full time; we're not a weekend warrior.

Snow likes this.
  15. Jim Bonville

Jim Bonville New Member

I get mine nice and cold the night before and pack it up before I leave, including some frozen items and freezer packs. Then I tighten it shut (it has a locking screw on the door) for the drive and then turn the propane on when I arrive at my destination. It kind of works as cooler that way. I have had no problems whatsoever with trips up to 3-4 hours, not even a sign of it warming up at all.

16. davido

davido Well-Known Member

I would run with propane if I could, without it blowing out. But there are two reasons I cannot: (1) It blows out. (2) There may be places where I'm not allowed to travel with a propane appliance running.

Since I cannot do that, and since it takes so long to cool down a 3-way fridge in the first place, I run it on 12VDC when towing. For this to work correctly the tow vehicle must have a proper charge line leading to the 7-way. And be very careful about leaving the fridge in 12VDC mode while connected to your *parked* tow vehicle. The fridge will run your tow vehicle's battery down in a few hours if the engine isn't running and if the vehicle's charge line remains in service with the ignition off.

Also be wary of leaving it in 12v mode when disconnected, as this will run your trailer's battery down quickly too.

So 12VDC mode is for use while towing with a properly equipped tow vehicle, only.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.