When to replace tires due to age?

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Caravaner, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Caravaner

Caravaner Member

hi all - our 2015 Flagstaff 228D popup is rolling on it's original tires. Tread looks fine and no visible sidewall cracking. Mileage before we bought it 1 year ago is unknown but I'd be surprised if they have more than 4 or 5k miles total.
    Anyway I'm thinking about replacing them due to age. Am I being paranoid?

We have a 5 hour drive next month (our longest so far has been 2.5hrs) so for peace of mind ~$175 out the door for 2xCarlisle ST185/80R13 (8-ply, D rated) at Walmart seems reasonable. Would also repack the bearings while I have the wheels off.

Thanks for the input!
    Kurt

poppy65 likes this.
  2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great idea. Nothing wrong with new shoes and peice of mind.

poppy65 and Caravaner like this.
  3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

The usual recommendation is 5 - 7 years regardless of tread. Since they are at least 5 years old and you don't know how they were treated/used by the prior owner, I think you are being smart to change them before your big trip.

You should also learn to read the date code on tires to make sure your new ones have not sat around the shop for ages.

Caravaner likes this.
  4. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Don’t forget the spare

5. Caravaner

Caravaner Member

mmpopuplvr likes this.
  6. Caravaner

Caravaner Member

heh, we posted the same time.
    The spare has never touched pavement, so I'll take the risk of using it for a short time if something should go wrong with one of the two new ones.
    Do have to remember to check the pressure before we head out, although I always bring a bicycle tire pump so can top it off if needed.
    cheers

7. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

8. Toedtoes

Good to replace. They are hitting 7 years. As a fellow cheapskate, I understand choosing to skip the spare, but I would rethink it. Even if you check pressure before the trip, if needed, it could fail as soon as it hits pavement. It's not that expensive to replace now and know you have a tire that will be useable.

Sjm9911 and Caravaner like this.
  9. Caravaner

Caravaner Member

Good point. TV rubber is 1 year old.

Never saw one fail like that - almost looks like a re-tread??

10. Caravaner

Caravaner Member

ok I'm rethinking :)
    First thought is that I sure as hell don't want to be changing a tire on the side of a TX highway with trucks flying past, inches away. I don't even drive with a spare in some of my cars, relying on AAA to tow me (or more specifically, my wife) to a safe place.
    BUT, assuming I can nurse the crippled rig to a place with enough space to safely change a blown trailer tire, what's the go-to method for getting the axle in the air? TV jack under the trailer axle? I know the stabilizers aren't intended to fully lift/support the vehicle, but they are mounted to the frame rails so imagine they'd survive ~15 minutes. TV jack probably the best way.

Toedtoes likes this.
  11. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Tv jack, if it fits, some will not. Leave the pup hooked up to the tv. Bring some wood( always need some cribbing. Try it before heading out. I got a flat this year in the campground, easy to change it there. But good to have a real tire, not an old spare for a few hour trip home. Dont let the 100$ stop you from a new spare. Odds are if you buy it you will not need it.

Caravaner and Toedtoes like this.
  12. Toedtoes

Measure the height of the axle. You want a jack that is shorter unextended than that height - some jacks will be too tall, especially if you are on uneven ground. I have two 2-ton bottle jacks in each camper, they work great for me.

campfreak, Sjm9911 and Caravaner like this.
  13. Toedtoes

Not sure about Texas, but here in California, a lot of the best campgrounds are in areas with no cell service. Which means no way to get AAA. Having a spare is required.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  14. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

If you are taking long trips, change the spare. Nothen like being in BFE and putting on a old spare and nowhere to get the flat tire replaced, or having to take a china bomb you can't even prononce the manufactures name.

If just hanging out near home (50 miles or so). I would think about just keeping the youngest best tire.

Sjm9911 and Toedtoes like this.
  15. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I had two trailer tire blowouts this summer. One tire was 15 years old. I guess I deserved that one. However the other one was 5 years old. I had a TPMS in that tire and had just checked the temps 20 miles prior. The tire had been kept covered and parked on wood. It simply blew with no warning. I dont feel like I deserved that one...lol

16. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

The popup should have a preferred spot to jack it up--check the manual.

I would totally call AAA to change a tire anywhere I could (unless the spouse insists it's totally driveable) but like Toes says, no cell service a lot of places out here. I'll do it if I HAVE to but only if I really HAVE to. Once in Texas I called AAA to change a flat in my driveway because fire ants. :)

(That truck tire wasn't a retread. Came from the factory with it. It was, apparently, just old. The outer layer suicided and shrunk back, all while sitting at home doing nothing. That's when I learned that car/truck tires get old too! Guess I've always worn them out before. The spouse got cocky and drove it a half mile to the tire shop to get all 5 replaced. I did not want to get near it, and the tire shop guys found it pretty alarming too. 80 psi...:eek: )

17. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

Be certain you have AAA RV Plus. They aren't changing a trailer tire or towing your pup without it.

This past summer I had two trips in a tow truck courtesy of AAA. One in New Mexico and one when I was almost home in Texas. They put my TV on the flatbed and hooked up the trailer to a ball. Slow drive.

18. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I changed both of my blowouts this summer on the side of the interstate. I was back on the road in well under 30 minutes each time.

19. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

We have AAA for years. Have not used the road service since early 2000's. DW car quite.

Since early 2000's we had flat on a trailer ran out of gas towing a trailer, needed a jump, but if I can take care of it in a short time. I'm not going to wait an hour or so for AAA. But we have used maps and trip brochures.

xxxapache likes this.
  20. Toedtoes

Dingit, I had a tire on my TV do the same thing. I had been taking the bus to work and didn't have a trailer at the time, so the Durango sat most of the time. Took it out one day and a friend noticed something odd. Tread was coming right off the tire. Took it straight to get replaced.