When to replace tires due to age?

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Caravaner, Nov 28, 2020.

1. jeepster04

jeepster04 Active Member

Maybe, but Im ok with it. If I ever plan a trip that requires interstate I'll be changing them. Otherwise, she has a spare.

KeizerTrailer and xxxapache like this.
  2. SpaceGuy85

SpaceGuy85 New Member

I would change them now! When we bought our 2018 Coachman Clipper 125 SST, the code date on the tires was 2015, and yes, we had a china bomb! Now, our tires had plenty of tread, and no cracks. Plus they had only about 250 miles on them. Never let the single axle tires get more than 3 years old. And, to top it off, we had to drive with the blown tire until we were able to get to the shoulder, which apparently caused the rim to bend. I did get the manufacturer to finally agree to fix it, but, they really should not have put tires that were already 3 years old before the Pup was even built.

Attached Files:

Caravaner likes this.
  3. Caravaner

Caravaner Member

whoa! I'd have raised hell about a new camper coming with 3 year old tires as well. Assuming you had even close to the recommended pressure in them and didn't run over anything that's simply inexcusable to have a tire go like that with so little mileage.

The Carlisles were delivered today so will be pulling off the wheels this weekend and taking to Walmart to mount and balance fresh new rubber.

Thanks for all the tips on jacking up the trailer while out and about. I'll be trying out the Town&Country's jack, making sure it will fit under the axle even with a blowout.

4. Caravaner

Caravaner Member

What brand is this?

LarryGoesCamping likes this.
  5. Kup

Kup New Member

6. campfreak

campfreak Well-Known Member

I have one more thing to add. Get a Jack that fits, and don’t forget that you will be jacking up a flat tire, so the Jack needs to fit a few inches lower.

7. MOSCDENC

MOSCDENC Member

Castle Rocks

The are a few pages on the Forest River forums of owners detailing their blowouts on Castle Rocks at young age. My not quite 4 year old tires were older than a number of other people have gotten. Sadly it was probably Forest River trying to cut costs.

Caravaner likes this.
  8. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I get new tires every trip.

PointyCamper and xxxapache like this.
  9. Caravaner

Caravaner Member

You take one trip every 10 years? :p

10. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

That camper looks small on the inside. It looks like a 10' box. They might call it a 12' box but the storage compartment takes up 2'.

11. Caravaner

Caravaner Member

Got the new rubber put on today. $7 each at Walmart to mount and dispose of the old ones seems almost too cheap.
    The Flagstaff manual isn't all that helpful in jacking instructions. Only says to "Raise the camper slightly, with a hydraulic or scissors style jack placed directly under the camper frame." OK, guess they mean somewhere under the box-section frame running front-to-back... I ended up using a garage jack and 2x2 block under the front leaf-spring mounts, with the stabilizers close to the ground as a safety measure.
    Out on the road I can imagine lowering the tongue as far as it will go, extending the rear scissor stabilizers (which are directly under the box frame), then raising the tongue enough to change the tire.
    The Town&Country's scissor jack's top surface is flat, so I wouldn't trust it to not slip off the frame.
    By the way, I popped off the axle/bearing dust cap and see a Zerk fitting in there. Manual doesn't say anything about this, only "if needed, repack with grease". Grease looked pretty good, should I just pump in some bearing grease every once in a while to get fresh stuff in there occasionally?
    thanks!
    Image7410449338043411458.jpg Image6880009055341215914.jpg Image488466354012038495.jpg

12. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

your Zerk fitting is part of an EZlube system - look it up on the web. Do not disassemble the wheels-bearings to repack. Just squirt in new grease while rotating wheels, old grease is ejected out the front, new grease enters between rear seal and rear face of rear baring. Its a great system.

Caravaner likes this.
  13. Anthony Hitchings

I have the same jack, and simply jack up my axle under the springs.

Caravaner likes this.
  14. Caravaner

Caravaner Member

cool - seller didn't mention this when I bought it last year, must have been an upgrade? A hell of a lot easier than repacking the bearings the old fashioned way.

I tried that but the leaf springs on mine are so close to the tires the jack's head only grabbed the inside 2 U-clamp ends.
    Could have used more blocking to get to the frame but the front leaf-spring mounts hung down nicely so just used them.
    cheers
    Kurt

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
  15. jeepster04

jeepster04 Active Member

Yep, our Jayco has the same setup and all I've ever done since new (2008) is grease it every year. I would grease it more if I travelled alot.

xxxapache and Caravaner like this.
  16. Caravaner

Caravaner Member

Saw this video for a combo electric jack and impact wrench and was impressed:

~$130 for either 3T or 5T seems like a good deal, but surely cheaply made and I wouldn't put a finger under the vehicle unless I had a jackstand.

Then saw this on Amazon, which seems like the best of both worlds:
    https://www.amazon.com/Alltrade-640...120341040901&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_0
    Would work very nicely under the popup's frame rail.

Have to think about whether it's worth devoting the space in the TV to one.
    Anyone have either an electric bottle jack, or one of these manual, combo models?

upload_2020-12-7_14-26-49.png

17. sanrico

sanrico Member

Same. I was about 50 miles from home when one of my tires blew. The tread actually ripped apart some of the metal bracing, ripped a hole in the PUP floor, tore through the aux gas line and dented up my side panel. I limped home on a spare, and spent a lot of time fixing the damage.

Since then, I make sure my tires are new, and I don't go over 70 mph. I usually stay around 65, which drives me crazy.

18. Flagstaff Sport

Flagstaff Sport Member

For me it was NOW. I bought my used 2019 Flagstaff and had CastleRocks on it less than two years old. Going on the first trip this weekend and had to get new Americans before I left! D897AC09-4882-432A-8531-618560590C16.jpeg A1507DB1-D8D1-40D5-B74B-D99121AFAFC8.jpeg CCB1F916-82A1-4DD8-BEA2-5A659EB13184.jpeg 3A54ACD6-A053-4D08-9E1E-89BB25EE3D11.jpeg 817F33FA-6FD7-4091-BBFE-ED9AA1B5BA09.jpeg

19. Anthony Hitchings

Flagstaff Sport - what is the whip antenna for?

20. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

I've found those road shoulders here to be debris filled real estate akin to a minefield. I won't pull onto one unless it's an absolute necessity. They're sort of like going into Home Depots hardware aisle, knocking a lot of stuff out of the bins onto the floor, then driving through it lol. [:O]