When was your first trip? Am I being too ambitious?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Pirate Horse, Oct 26, 2020.

Tags:
  1. littlebritches

littlebritches Member

So, what was the decision and how did it turn out?

Personally, I went the way of Camp Driveway mostly because where I camp an hour away doesn't have internet. Therefore, it was vitally important that I be able to set it up with out help from youtube.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
  2. Pirate Horse

Pirate Horse New Member

There was a glitch with getting the camper so we didn’t pick it up until Monday (glad I didn’t reserve anything). I drove it home 80 miles and it went ok. Husband backed it in to the driveway and we’ll....eventually it got there....but we are planning to go to another cg (pohick bay) on Friday to try it out for real. I’m counting on kind campground neighbors to help me back it in as I suspect my husband will have to meet us later but, I gotta do it sometime! We are goi g to set the bar really low— probably just sleeping bags, firewood, board games and alcohol for this trip to help us get acclimated. Not even sure if I’ll cook. Really appreciate all the feedback and looking forward to learning half as much as you all know! Stay tuned!

3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Next Friday works great. No trying to rush to get ready. Just go easy and take your time. You'll have a great weekend.

4. StormFuel

StormFuel Member

Sounds like a good plan. That being said, we did the driveway camping on our first time and I was glad we did because the first time we went to a campground we arrived late so we had to setup in the dark and there were hundreds of mosquitoes everywhere which made us really anxious to get setup. Shouldn't be a problem this time of year though. We didn't make any mistakes, but I think the advice to take it slow and not force anything that feels stuck is really good advice.

You may already know this, but a simple tip that makes backing up a trailer easier is to grab the steering wheel from the bottom of the rim instead of the top. Move your hand in the direction that you want your trailer's rear end to go. Depending on the length of your trailer it may move quickly or slowly, just take your time and start with small movements until you get a feel for it.

Good luck and look forward to hearing your stories!