When you go camping.....

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by hanson1522, Apr 18, 2010.

1. hanson1522

hanson1522 Belleville, IL

...is camping the main activity??

I've told people we're going camping and they'll ask..."what is there to do there?" I'm like, "camp." They, in turn, look at me like I didn't understand the question. And I guess I don't....I mean, don't you just go camping to go camping? To sit around and hang out, ride bikes, walk dogs, swim, roast marshmallows, etc.???

Isn't "camping" an activity!?

2. Gumbias

Gumbias New Member

I am with you on all that that to me in camping. If there happens to be something to do in the area in addition to the a fore mentioned activities that is fine by me. But like you I camp to do as little as possible for the most part. [PU] [TV]

3. Fourkids

Fourkids New Member

Been there, said that, got the same expression...but my thought process is - "Dude, are you kidding me? Do you really not understand how great camping is? Man, I honestly feel sorry for you. Someday friend - someday."

4. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

You either like to camp or you don't. There seems to be no middle ground. When I tell people I'm going camping, they look at me like I have three heads. We camp to go to Nascar Races and go to the race and camp, or we go camping and that is when we do as little as possible unless we want to do it! I'm not opposed to staying in a hotel, we are doing that in June for a recon to find a place to camp! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [A]

5. cuckoo

cuckoo Active Member

Camping gets you away from it all... Well ok sometimes... My wife is still attached to the cell phone. Take the boat, bikes, or cart... It's mental relaxation and therefore qualifies for sick leave.... Thats my story and sticken to it... Just don't tell my supervisor [;)]

6. barb_dave

barb_dave Active Member

we just got from our 2 day camping trip (our 2nd trip this month). We love to camp and what do we do there? Make some good food on the grill, sit around the campfire at night looking at the stars and just enjoy the company of family.

There are all kinds of ativities that can be done while camping but some people just don't get the point that if you want to do absolutely nothing that is camping too.

7. Gumbias

Gumbias New Member

Hey NASCAR do you go to the NASCAR weekend campgrounds? The CG I am going to in May they have something called NASCAR Weekend where from what I understand they setup a big screen in an outdoor theater. I don't really watch, but I may go check it out that weekend.

8. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

Gumbias - I recall DW telling me something about that. It would be great fun, but there are none of those around here in SW PA. We don't even have any friends that are fans. Most of the people we camp at the races with are from New Hampshire, New York and Michigan. I guess Nascar races are like camping, they look at us like we have five heads when we say we go camping and to Nascar races.

9. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

You bet I think that camping is an activity on its own. Some people have to be constantly doing something, and I can understand that - but sometimes it's nice to not only be able to do absolutely nothing, but have DW right there beside me doing the same thing. It's really difficult to sit in the shade here at the house and just enjoy a sandwich, a bag of chips, and a glass of iced tea when you're constantly thinking something like "well, the grass looks like it could be mowed," or "I gotta get up there and clean out the gutters while the weather's nice." Getting out in the pup is therapy as well as recreation to us. I consider it to be a little bit of "mental floss." I can flush the whole world and just enjoy "being" for a while.

10. Gumbias

Gumbias New Member

11. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

Hey Gumbias, thanks for the link. There is a Morgan Family Resort in Champion, PA which is about 1 1/2 hour from home. But, I went to Nascar site and the closest for the Nascar theme is Geneva on the Lake in Ohio, which is about 2 hours. Went to their site and didn't have any of the themed weekends listed yet. We will definately have to try that out. Just another reason to go CAMPING! And, I am going to guess that it wll be less of a pain on my wallet. Thanks again.

12. Gumbias

Gumbias New Member

No problem that what we are all here for. we went to the Milwaukee RV show and they had a huge Booth there, and the funny thing is my parents are the chapter directors for the GWRRA (Gold Wing Road Riders Association.) and that are having their dust off rally that weekend too. Should be a busy weekend.

13. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

If it is not too cold, I also go kayaking, fishing, and hiking too!

14. Davylee

Davylee Camping = Life is Good

Sitting around relaxing, but also some hiking and fishing usually for me, the DW does the kayaking and reading.

15. shadet

shadet New Member

Fires, Cooking out, Swimming, Walks, Star gazing, Fresh air, Holding hands, Playing with my daughters.....Nuff said. As a great friend of mine says, "Wow man, you are creating memories that will last a LIFETIME."

16. Grim54

Grim54 St. Clair Shores, MI

Camping is the activity. All the rest is just gravy. MMMMMMMMM biscuits and gravy.... [:D]

17. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

When we go camping we usually go sightseeing during the day and then come back to the CG and relax and cook a nice dinner and sit by the campfire and relax some more. We usually do not sit around all day doing nothing! Yes, it would be nice, but the DW and I would go up the wall sitting around all day. We just need to be doing something.

We travel around this great county to see things! We think this June the family and I will go for a long weekend and we plan on fishing, hiking and bike riding. Just to change it up a bit. My DW liked that idea! She said it would be nice to sit and relax for a change.

18. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

Shadet mentioned star gazing. Our last trip happened to coincide with a meteor shower, and talk about a show! One of our friends is basically in his own little world - he was a cav scout in the army (19D) and has a fully restored scout motorcycle (to include blackout lights) that he rides in the desert at night, wearing NVGs (Night Vision Goggles.) He came out to the property we were camping on to visit one night, and we passed around the NVGs to look at the stars. (It was a moonless weekend.)

If you ever get the chance to look at the night sky with NVGs, you have to give it a try. It's amazing. You'll see at least triple the number of stars, and can easily pick out satellites and such. The NVGs don't magnify - they just intensify the ambient light, letting you see things not normally visible to the naked eye at night.

19. Chuck2009

Chuck2009 Nights Camped this year so far: 16

I agree that camping IS an activity and people sometimes wonder why I want to go and do it....they just don't have a clue.

My favorite part of camping (besides being with my DW and DS's) is cooking. I enjoy cooking and eating things we don't normally have at home. I am past the Hamburgers and Hotdogs thing. We do have those and most of the time it's on the arrival day or night since it's quick and easy.

But on Saturday I like to do some good cooking and have a great meal that night. I am big time into Dutch Oven cooking and there is nothing better than making your meal in these things, and you can't duplicate the taste at home in the oven. Once you do a few meals and deserts in the DO's you won't go back to just standard cooking.

20. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill PUP-2002 Flagstaff 725D TV- 2004 Dodge Ram 1500

We camp for a variety of reasons. To use the PUP as our hotel and going to the zoo, COSI, sightseeing, etc. And to just get away and spend some time fishing, swimming, relaxing by the fire, star gazing, family time.

We purchased the PUP in Nov 08 and only got to use it a handful of times last year. Will only get to use it a few this year with our acting schedule (every month of June is a show) and church camp for DD in early July. In-fact, still sitting in storage since we won't have a chance to use till July (I believe we could do a weekend or two in May but DW doesn't think it possible).

We have done entire trips that we didn't leave CG and others that we left in the morning and got back late in the afternoon/evening.

Camping is getting away from home cheaper than sitting in a hotel.

Hey Nascar Fan, I live up in Geneva. Send me a message if you end up at Geneva on the lake.