Where’s the leak?! Flagstaff floor sponge...

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Tom Jordan, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Tom Jordan

Tom Jordan Member

2015 Flagstaff MAC 228D; two days ago I found that the very back of my floor is soft by the back wall. Looked underneath and roughly 4 inch width from back is wet spongey, up to the first frame crossmember. Very surprised, because I have tried to be very diligent in doing walk-arounds every few weeks looking for possible concerns. I can’t figure out how rain would have gotten into that section. The top has been down for a couple of months since our vacation in June. Any ideas on likely leak spots before I start exploratory surgery? Thanks for reading this far. —Tom

2. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Mine was in the same place , traced it back to the roof vent, sealant had cracked around the vent and roof. Removed old sealant and applied Dicor self leveling sealant, no more issues. Good luck.

3. Tom Jordan

Tom Jordan Member

Thanks, did you determine where the water stream transferred from the roof to the box?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

ON our old ('84) Palomino, we finally traced a leak to the tail light. It had leaked into the wall, the down through the wall, and out at floor level.

5. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

My vent also started leaking this summer. Luckily, the first time it leaked was when I using it. The cracks in the sealant were very hard to see unless I looked REAL closely. I stripped the old seal and resealed with Dicor as soon as I got home from the trip.

I noticed some very small seal cracks in 2017 and used some silicone to reseal them. Same in 2018. Don't make my mistake and use silicone. Silicone is only temporary and is a major PITA to remove. Stick to the LAP sealants like Dicor to seal the seams.

kgesiako and xxxapache like this.
  6. kgesiako

kgesiako Active Member

We have a Rockwood 2716 and I believe the roof is similar to yours. Just had our roof replaced last winter and over the summer found water by our back wall. If you look on that vertical piece of trim that goes around the border of the roof the sealant was missing causing a gap you can barely see. When the unit was folded up water would go into that gap and past the roof seal, then into the cutouts for the bed rails inside the wall. You may want to check there. Unfortunately I now have to remove that whole back wall to replace now, so should be fun! 56B7D663-8BE9-43FC-8E13-167671C5ABC7.jpeg 1CB65AA3-0984-4C9B-B893-6ED3CDDB8EF6.jpeg

7. Tom Jordan

Tom Jordan Member

Thank you @kgesiako. I kept it popped up for a couple of weeks; and the floor did dry out. So after Thanksgiving camping trip, I’m going to open all of those joints plus light mounts and spare tire mount then reseal (if no damage inside). Thank you for another idea.

kgesiako likes this.