Where are you camping in 2011?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by KJcachers, Feb 5, 2011.

1. campr4fn

campr4fn Member

Many short trips for us; the first is this weekend [:D]
    - headed for Moab to camp and Jeep...fingers crossed for sunny weather!

2. gbberton

gbberton New Member

Yee Haa!!! We are going on our first trip this weekend in our NTU pup. We are going to Snow Canyon State Park in St. George, Utah. Its just for 2 nights but we are still excited. We've never done this before so wish us luck,

3. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Meteor99 - We live cross town in St George and camped there once. However, visited many times. Great setting and nice camp sites. Flush toilets and sinks!
    Can't camp there this weekend. Going with DD and DW to Indian Wells CA. DD is a free lance tennis writer.

4. bpolwort

bpolwort Member

Headed to Beaver Lake in Arkansas for a 9 day stint starting Friday to do some striper fishing. Can't wait!!

5. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

We usually do a "themed" trip centered around an ecosystem. A couple of years ago, it was the "Desert Experiment," where we visited numerous desert parks and a lot of BLM areas in the middle of summer. Death Valley, areas around Capitol Reef and Moab, all over Nevada, etc. That was tent camping (and in a lot of places, just cots set up under a tarp or the stars).

This year we are thinking of the "Prairie Project," which would entail high-tailing up to North Dakota, and mostly boondocking in our NTU a-frame in national grasslands (like national forests, and administered by USFS as well, just few trees) all the way down into Texas. We loved our time in the grasslands of Nebraska and South Dakota, and would love to make a whole 3-week vacation of them.

In the meantime, we plan lots of trips to nearby state parks, the Land Between the Lakes NRA, Big South Fork and the Great Smokies, all within a few hours of here. :)

6. Fordiesel250

Fordiesel250 Member

We will be playing it by ear depending on the price of fuel. We will decide if we go for long trips or stay closer to home depending on gas prices. [TV]

7. micbur

micbur Working on "Camp Burton"...Opening Soon!

So far only 2 offically booked:

Victoria Bryant SP - Royston GA - March 18 & 19 (First trip here)

Winfield ACOE CG - Appling GA - April 28, 29 & 30 (First trip here)

Planning stage trips:

Skidaway Island SP - Savannah GA or Crooked River SP - St Marys GA - May 27, 28 & 29

Looking into several closer to home trips in between the dates above to:

McKinney ACOE - Acworth GA - Allatoona Lake
    Whitetail Ridge ACOE - LaGrange GA - West Point Lake
    Amity ACOE - Lanett AL - West Point Lake
    Bannings Mill CG - Whitesburg GA (3 miles from our new home...LOL)

[CP]

8. Eanddrice

Eanddrice Member

[:D] We're planning a few outtings. But most of the time, the spur of the moment trips are the best for us.

We're already set to go to:

Raysville Campground on Clarks Hill Lake

Elijah Clark Campground also on Clarks Hill Lake

Old Federal Campground on Lake Lanier

River Bend Campground in Hiawassee, Georgia

Hard Labor Creek Campground in Rutledge, Georgia

Fort Yargo State Park in Winder, Georgia

9. micbur

micbur Working on "Camp Burton"...Opening Soon!

Eanddrice...we are looking to go to Hard Labor Creek and Fort Yargo sometime this season...these will be new places to us. We also like to visit Watson Mill Bridge SP...

Have you camped at Hard Labor and Yargo before?

10. Eanddrice

Eanddrice Member

micbur,
    Yes we have camped at Hard Labor Creek. It's about 5 miles from where I work in Social Circle. We like it. Only thing is, you can make reservations, but you can't reserve a particular sight.
    As for Fort Yargo, some of our camping buddies camp there frequently, we have not been yet, but we have visited our friends there on numerous occassions. We are planning a trip there in the next few weeks. Really nice campground.
    I actually just heard about Watson Mill Bridge SP from another friend that camps alot. They seem to like it. I should add that one to my list of places to camp this summer. Especially since gas prices are going sky high. [V]

11. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Heading to Cataloochee in Great Smoky Mountains in a few hours! It just opened for the season. They got more snow up on the mountain ridges overnight but it should be in the fifties down on the cove this weekend. Hope to see the elk in the pastures; doubt they have dispersed yet.

Fifth trip this year so far!

12. astronomynv

astronomynv 98 Starcraft Constellation 1021 TV 93 Ford Bronco

This year we have a bunch of short trips planned. We are going to, Davis Creek NV, Martis Lake CA, Adin CA, Zephor Cove Lake Tahoe NV, Eagle Lake CA, and we are will be adding a few more. THe longest drive will be 3hrs. The shortest dr will be about 20-30 minutes

13. Ksuburban

Ksuburban New Member

San Clemente, CA.... Big Sur, CA.... Sequoia,CA.... San Diego, CA.... and Big Bear CA.

14. hometownhiker

hometownhiker Active Member

We don't have any big trips planned this year. (We did that last year). I guess we'll do must of it up and down the southeast.

15. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Finally made our first reservation for the season!

We are headed to Ocean City, MD (Castaways CG), plan on spending a lot of time doing some hiking in Assateague National Seashore. I know they have a few good nature trails to hike on.

16. tracker366

tracker366 New Member

Well my first trip with my N2Me pup will be at the Kankakee State park here in Illinois(15 mile away)just for a three day shake down run and a few more there before I take my grown sons,daughter and 4yr old grandson down to Wolf Creek State park at lake Shelbyville Illinois I took them there last year to tent camp for three days and they did real well for not camping for 18 years.Then its heading to shawnee national forest for some late October camping during the archery deer season.

[PUC] [TV]

17. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

I just booked this for several different dates.
    [​IMG]

18. quitcherbellyakin

quitcherbellyakin Smile at someone today!

We just got our pup this past weekend, so we will be staying local at Potato Creek State Park, IN
    Hopefully, we will get a trip or two to Michigan and other places too. We will let you all know after we do it a couple of times.

19. Dust Devil

Dust Devil Member

Bryce Canyon, Oak Creek in Utah; Valley of the Rogue State Park, Oregon; Plaskett Creek, CA in Big Sur; still another undecided CG as I don't feel like doing a 12 hour drive home.

20. Breadbox

Breadbox Volvo powered

Well, we were at French Creek, PA this past weekend for the Mid Atlantic season opener and we'll be at Chippokes in May as well. So far, that's all the reservations we've made, but I can pretty much guarantee we'll be going to Winchester, VA for the dirt track races at least once this summer. We've still got to find a campground/park we like down there. And we've talked about going to the beach this summer, so maybe the Maryland/Delaware shore, and possibly down to central Virginia to a Volvo owner's club meet in April. If we get ambitious, a remote possibility of the Watkins Glen, NY NASCAR race or the EAA fly-in at Oshkosh, Wisconsin in August.