Where did the summer go?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Bullfrog Bheer, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

Where did the summer go? Seems like only a month ago that we were waiting for it to get nice so we could go camping for the first time this year.
    Now, the camper's in the backyard waiting to be opened up for the last time to clean her out for winter storage. [:(] [:(] [:(]

2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn New Member

I am totally feeling your pain! [:(] We camped last weekend, paddled Monday and Wednesday after work, DH hiked yesterday, we will paddle one last time this weekend, and then camp one last time next weekend in the Catskills. We are really squeezing every drop out of these last few weeks! No complaints though, it has been just beautiful for 3 weeks straight.

*sigh* it is SUCH a long winter.

3. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

Boy, you said a mouthful there! We were just saying the same thing. With us gone for almost 6 weeks on our trip, it really went fast. I can't believe it's October already!! :(

4. kpic

kpic New Member

Our summer was rain, rain and more rain. A Spartanburg, SC radio station commented they were within one inch of a record for annual rainfall with 186 days left in the year. Needless to say, camping was weather limited this summer.

5. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

I'm thinking the same thing! It wasn't long ago we were planning camping trips for June, July and August. Want to do a little Fall camping before closing her up for the Winter.

Campit

6. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

I despise texas weather with a passion but I am glad we can camp year round. Winterizing is almost non-existant. I think I would go nuts not being able to camp in the summer unless I was living some subsistence life where I would still be outside.

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We still have one trip on the calendar (Grand Canyon in 2-1/2 weeks), though it will depend on when they re-open the national parks. Our camping season isn't year-round, but we extended it once we got a pup, and more so when we got the Cobalt, with a furnace.
    Planning for the coming season is one way I cope with the off-season. I cope with winter a lot better in NM than I did in WNY, since we don't have nearly as many gray days during the winter - though I could skip the wind and occasional icy roads.

8. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Don't hold your breath on the grand canyon...

9. Bullfrog Bheer

We put in a firepit in the backyard, this summer, where the kid's play unit used to be, so at least I can still have a campfire in the off season [CF]
    Is that hardcore........sitting outside in a lawnchair in the dead of winter, in a foot of snow, with a beer around a campfire? [:D]

10. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn New Member

That is it - exactly! The "gray days" [:(] VT has a long, gray winter, although it does help keep the population down!

11. Bullfrog Bheer

I would think if it was a long, boring winter, the population would go up. [:D]

12. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn New Member

I'm sorry, that post should have included stats about VT's median age. We are the 2nd oldest state in the nation! Yep, older that the FL average by a wide margin. Plus, so many of them grow up to be weaklings (read: mere mortals) and need to live where the sun shines more often [:D] This precludes the possibility of increasing the population by *ahem* natural means.

OTOH, ME is #1... the "oldest" state in the country.

13. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

@BigBaron-
    Yes, we know things don't look too optimistic for that trip. DH got 3 emails yesterday notifying him there "may be a problem with your permit". We have a couple of days of flex at the beginning of the trip, since current plans are to stay in Flagstaff on that Sat. night, and his back country permit actually begins Wed. We'd have to have him there by Tuesday, though. Not much we can do at this point, except develop a some alternate strategies, including canceling everything but the weekend, and saving his vacation time for another trip, or canceling the whole thing.

If we end up canceling, and the weather is nice in Dec., we may be able to plan something for then. (Nov. is already booked with business and Thanksgiving trips).

14. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

Summer is hiding in the wood I'm going to burn to keep warm in Dec-Feb camping

15. JulesCamper

JulesCamper Indianapolis, IN

I agree this summer has flown by and I am not ready for winter but might try a little fall camping [CP]

16. purplekat61

purplekat61 New Member

We are another lucky Texas family. You can camp all year long if you choose to. The nights get a tad cool but for the most part the days are mild. Now I will say that it slows down a bit at the holidays as most of us are too busy. We are hoping to head down to the coast sometime between Jan-Feb. Is that crazy? [CP]

17. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

We had one of the best summers in years up here in the PNW. Spring was great too. But this was the year of house maintenance. April and May were spent on getting the south wall of the garage resided and the house painted. Our decks have needed their surfaces replaced for a couple of years now and I vowed to do it this year. Once I got into the project I found some structural work was needed as well. Most of June was spent on half of the lower deck (biggest).

Then we went to the Washington rally in the Cascades for four days. When we returned we had a week to clean up and get ready for the big trip to Yellowstone and other places, including the California rally. That covered the month of July and a few days in August. Then it was back to deck work. The upper and lower decks are connected by a walkway and stairs. I found that the bozos who built it (before we owned the house) did it incorrectly. Replacing rotten structure and some house siding slowed things down and by the time I finished it was early September. I got out for a short solo camping trip and then it started raining.

We have house guests (same people from MN we met in the Grand Tetons) next week so I can't camp then but hope the weather will cooperate for one more local 4-5 day outing, perhaps over to the Olympic Peninsula. Then the TrailManor will go into storage until Spring.

So, like many others have observed, the summer seemed to fly by for us too. On one hand I'm annoyed that I ended up working through so much of it instead of camping but on the other I have to admit that doing that work in nice weather was SOOOO much better than doing it in the rain.

18. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

working every other weekend seems to make things hard to plan. Hurrying thru work at home to get caught up to go camping only to have a monsoon or 100 degree days.2 weeks ago I cancelled cause of rain and next weekend we are off friday, sat.sun. trying to squeeze in 1 more trip before I winterize. Still not putting it up for winter though. Im keeping my fingers crossed cause there is rain in the forcast [:!]