Where do I Put These Cushions in My Columbia?

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by M-88, Jun 10, 2016.

1. M-88

M-88 Member

I'm a bit confused as to store a few cushions in my Columbia. The last few trips I never put them in. This time I need to.

The front bunk just stays and slides all the way in. No problem there.

But the rear bunk has two pieces that are removed for storage ... is there a spot to put these? Now that I'm carrying all of the cushions in it, I lost a lot of storage space as I'm putting them on the floor between the 3rd bed / benches.

Anyone know?

2. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with your layout, but most often the cushions go in the floor between the various cabinets.

3. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

I have the same setup in my '84 Columbia. I haven't found an easy solution to storing them, like you I put them on the floor under the lowered dinette table where I also keep my kitchen shelf parts and awning poles. There just isn't a lot of room for storage in these tiny beauties and losing the floor space bites but I haven't found any other options aside from carrying them in the TV.

4. M-88

M-88 Member

That's what I suspected. Won't be a problem for too long, hopefully! Once I get some time to do the modifications I want to the inside I'll have lots of storage!

5. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

All of my cushions but one will fit together making up the day bed out of the wrap-around seating.. Our small table board with folding legs is part of the floor for the daybed setup so we just leave it this way all the time. The small folding up table was just in the way to be useful. We either eat sitting on the day bed as a couch or eat outside under the awning-patio area.
    [​IMG]

I only have to find a spot to stow the one cushion... I will say just about every noke and cranny is filled with something when we finally get ready for transport. The last thing that goes into the trailer bottom door is the folding step... Thank goodness we have the use of our front deck for storage of the ACTION -PACKER containers and other necessary items we use to keep all of our items together when stowed...

I would most definitely have a problem if I didn't have the front trailer deck and pickup truck bed area for all of our trips... When ready to travel everything is under covers in the deck area and my folding hard four panel folding panels on my truck bed... Everything out-of-sight and high and dry...

Roy Ken

6. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

Can't wait to see those mods M88. While I love our Columbia the storage is a real hassle. I'm hopeful as we continue to use the camper we'll come up with a system that works well but this last trip (only our second in the camper) was a comedy every time we tried to find things. Of course it doesn't help to have a DW that never puts things in the same place twice.

7. M-88

M-88 Member

The amount of storage I like and I am okay with.

But none of it is accessible unless it goes completely up and you pull the bunks out. At least without cushions I have a decent amount of accessible space.

I never tried putting them under the sink. Maybe that will work - I will give that a shot!

I travel pretty light, though. Apart from the stuff like fridge, etc.

8. M-88

M-88 Member

The cabinet to which the sink and stove hinge rotted and the sink and stove fell off on the last trip. That does seem to help a lot with the storage issue. I took the top part of the cabinet out. I have battery storage in the cabinet that used to be under the sink and stove. Without that top part to fold down, I have a lot of extra room for stuff now!

I think this will work out better in the long run in this configuration, though. I did not use the sink and cooking was never something I cared to do inside my sleeping quarters.

And some additional weight reduction - no more propane tank hanging off of the tongue and the stove / sink / cabinet are no longer there .