Where do you attach the Velcro?

Discussion in 'PopUp Gizmos' started by Twinmum, May 27, 2020.

1. Twinmum

Twinmum Member

Hello all! Total newbie here . We just bought a 2000 Jayco Eagle 12 LSO. I am going to buy the gizmos and trying to decide whether or not to get the Velcro, but can’t for the life of me figure out on my camper where it would attach. I know there is Velcro on the bottom of each bunk, but that would be used by the canvas. Should there already be one part of the Velcro somewhere else on my pup to which to attach it? And, if I have to put one side of the Velcro on my camper, won’t sewing it into the canvas create the ability for water to seep in? So sorry, feeling a bit dim here, I just want to make the right choice. Everyone on this forum is always so helpful, I’m sure someone will set me straight. Thanks

2. Tom Jordan

Tom Jordan Active Member

It will be worth the money to have the Velcro factory installed unless you like to sew. The Velcro will attach at the top, underneath your roof edge, after you add the loop side to it. Great time saver.

Natureangel likes this.
  3. Twinmum

Twinmum Member

Hmmm, when you say factory installed not sure how I’d do that. My camper is a bit of an old chap, a 2000. I don’t even know where I’d take it to have them install the Velcro. If you’re talking about buying the gizmo with the Velcro already, I would definitely do that, if I knew where to attach it onto my pup. Thanks so much for your help!

4. Tom Jordan

Tom Jordan Active Member

Sorry, I meant The loop side factory installed on the Gizmo itself. You will attach the hook side on the inside of the roof edge with staples. If you search the Gizmo forum on the Portal, there might be pictures. The bottom of the gizmos attach with bungee around the bottom of the bunks.

kitphantom likes this.
  5. Twinmum

Twinmum Member

Ohhhhhh, THAT’s where it goes!!! Perfect, that’s exactly the info I was looking for. Thank you soooo much!

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We did that mod, and I suggest stapling the hook side under the roof edge. We tried the industrial self stick Velcro, but it did not stay attached to either the pup or the PUGs. I had to sew the plush side onto the PUGs next to the self stick, not fun. (We did not order the Velcro on the first set of PUGS for our second pup, becasue we had not needed it on the first one, the fit between bunk end canvas and roof edge was so tight it help the PUG in place very well.)

Tom Jordan likes this.
  7. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Before you order your pugs, take a look at how your roof is made. When I ordered mine with Velcro, I failed to look at where I would mount the Velcro strips to the inside of the roof. Most pup roofs are not an issue, they tend to be straight on the inside. Mine is an ABS roof, and has some weird contours on the inside. AS a result, the best spot to attach the Velcro was higher up on the inside of the roof. This meant that ultimately my pugs were an inch or two too short, so they just barely went over the end of the bunk once attached. It also put too much strain on the pugs at the roof area, and both ended up ripping on the shiny side. I might be lucky to get another season out of them, and when I order more I will make sure to ask for a couple extra inches on the roof side so it doesn't happen again.

I used the industrial sticky Velcro, but only because it made it easier to initially put in place on the roof, and then I used a staple gun to properly secure it.

8. Twinmum

Twinmum Member

Thanks so much you guys, I was completely clueless! You have made my day!

9. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

When put in the Velcro under the lid/roof of the camper, don’t try to do it in one piece! Look through these threads you’ll see my photos on how to install the Velcro.

10. Tom Jordan

Tom Jordan Active Member

11. Dakota

Dakota New Member

I bought mine at Cabelas and when I went to attach them the plate the canvas attached to was so low to the edge I couldn't attach the velco. So I went to Lowes and bought a 72" piano hinge and took the plate off and attached it with 6-32 screws and nuts to the top edge of the canvas attachment plate after I removed the canvas and the plate so I could attach the hinge. I had to add a 3/4 " aluminum strip between the top side of the piano hinge and the roof inside when I reinstalled it. This allowed the plate to swing forward so I could staple the velcro at the bottom edge along the inside of the roof. I reattached the canvas. Now after I raise the roof about a foot, I can push the canvas in a bit and attach the gizmos. The canvas pulls the plate against the velcro upon setup helping it stay secured. Sorry I don't have ability too show pictures. It was a lot of work but works good. A lot of drilling holes.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  12. Dakota

Dakota New Member

>

13. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

I use the spring clamps on mine but i did buy some stiffer spring clamps and added a few more than what was sent with mine
    due to the wind blowing mine loose from the clamps once in awhile.

14. Dakota

Dakota New Member

Yep that is fine if u have the space for clips or clamps. If u look at Tom Jordons post #10 above mine u can see he has about 5 inches at least from the canvas attachment to the bottom edge of the roof. Plenty of room for stapling on pieces of velcro!!
    If u reread my post my canvas attachment is so low to the bottom edge of the inside roof there is no room even for clamps or clips. It is a 1974 Starcraft Starmaster. Do u think I wanted to do all that work for nothing. I wanted to secure my gizmos
    under the roof like everybody else says u can. The fact is the aluminum plate for canvas attachmet is about 4" wide and also has grooves for attaching curtains I didn't. Want to distrub the way the canvas attached or fitted so the hinge idea came to mind and works fine. Thanks for sharing what u do. Wish I could have done that without the canvas pushing yhe clips off because of not having enough surface to grip.

15. firepit

I tuck mine right under the roof and attach each end with one clamp ( one the bunk seams on the side)...After i install the bunk canvas support bars
    i go along and finish putting the clamps on all the way around.
    Carry on because i am not understanding...You attach one clamp on each side on the seams and put as many clamps or as few as you wish.
    i don't get where you don't have the space to put clamps?....The clamps go on the canvas seems and the extra length of your covers just tucks under your roof.

16. Dakota

Dakota New Member

Of course I attach with clamps along the top corners and along the seams on each side with clamps. Thare is no room to tuck alond the top. Again, others say they attach velcro on the inside on the roof so it doesn't sag during rain and run between the gizmo and the canvas. If u have room to tuck fine I Don't. I don't call only having about 1/4 inch from where the canvas attaches to the bottom edge whare the roof seal is and that was my dilema. No room to tuck the gizmo under the edge that I was comfortable with. I did what I did to be able to tuck about 3/4 inch of the top edge with velcro attached to the inside of the roof. Now the canvas is attached to the same plate as before except now it maintains the same configuration as before when it was fixed. 1. raise the roof a little, 2. I attach the gizmo to the inside of the roof. 3. Raise the roof and pull out the bunk ends. 4. Finish clamping the gizmos on after pulling out the bunk end canvas and attaching down. Stop argueing i did it I am happy with it. Your way works your way. I am not changing it back. If u can't see why I had to do it the way I did, I'm sorry. I used to have photogallery but don't now. I am glad u feel u have enough room to tuck the top under. All pups are not the same. I posted what I did so others that may have a similar situation could go that option although it is extra work it was my answer to my situation. It is done. I am proud of it. Where are the atta boys? Instead u skipped over the issue I had because u read too fast or didn't read it at all. I am starting to wonder why I posted too start with.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  17. firepit

First off i was giving a idea and method to the OP...is it because i posted right after your post that u feel its all about you?....had i been talking directly to you i would have quoted your post but i didnt.
    Good day.