Where do you put clothes/luggage in your popup?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by msuce99, Sep 13, 2012.

1. msuce99

msuce99 New Member

Sorry... It will be me, my wife, and our two sons (7 and 5) in a Coleman Yukon 10' box.

2. apopkabob

apopkabob New Member

In trying to keep the pup uncluttered we keep the suitcases in the back of the van however on our last trip we started to use one of the bench storage cabinets

3. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

When we had a pop-up tent camper we used duffel bags. They rode under the dinette while traveling and sat at the end of the bunk during the day. At night they went on the dinette seats. We kept a plastic garbage bag in the duffel for dirty clothing so everything was always in the bag. No clothing was ever allowed to be anywhere else. All footwear went in Rubbermaid snap-lid totes. These rode in the trailer and were placed outside underneath it when set up for camping. Now that we have the TrailManor, we use the wardrobe and drawers for clothing. We still use the same approach for footwear.

4. MT Camper

MT Camper New Member

We also use the sterilite drawers form Wally world. They work great for us. I have a wide 3 drawer for our clothes, tall 3 drawer for dry goods (2) and small 3 drawer for personal items (2) that stack on the wide 3 drawer. They all store on the floor when not in use and the taller ones lay on their back. If the grandkids come with us they bring a duffle bag and I stack their clean clothes on the bed next to them (king size bed, small kids). I use a folding clothes hamper outside under the back bunk end for all dirty clothes.

5. Lablover

Lablover Member

Each one of us would pack a small bag that would be stored on benches at night and on the bunkends during the day. Things can get messy real quick in a popup so I am much fussier about tidiness while camping than at home. Have fun and enjoy the weekend.

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Our pups have been small, the first one was a 6' box with one bunk end, the current one 8' with 2. One learning curve for us was how much more space we'd had to duffels in the tent vs. the pup. It is a bit better now, but we're still learning. Usually it is just DH and myself, so we use the extra bunk for the clothing duffels, laundry bag, roll-up tables or bag chairs if they aren't in use. In the old pup, we just moved them from dinette to bed and back again.
    We don't have room for the drawer systems, and I actually think they have wasted space due to the frames, etc. We have a large assortment of duffel bags, so we pack as needed for each trip. Usually I have one for hiking clothing, shirts and pants. If cold weather is a possibility, we have a duffel of sweaters, jackets, etc.
    We try not to keep clothing in the TV, since we do keep all the food and kitchen boxes in there. We don't usually pack more clothing for longer trips, we just find a laundry after a week or so. On occasion we'll put extra clothing up in the Thule roof top carrier; that is normally when we have a longer trip, with clothing only used during a short portion of it.
    When I take a friend in the pup, we plan on each keeping our duffels at the end/side of our bunk, since there is enough space for 1 person+duffels in each bunk.

7. obnoxiousblue

obnoxiousblue New Member

Since the camper is packed from the start of the season there's usually not a lot of "luggage" I pack a bag for my trips with clothes, and my "consumable toiletries" like soap and toothpaste. Soap, shampoo etc stays in the campers bathroom "kit" which makes for light packing. When I'm traveling the bag lives either on the floor, a seat or the trunk, and when I arrive it goes on the bunk. It's not a big bag so it doesn't get in the way, it's a simple backpack with 5 compartments. I like the compartments because it makes separating clean clothes from dirty cotbes. I roll clothes to maximize what's can fit in my bag, same goes with dirty laundry. Towels stay in the camper (also makes for lighter packing)

You'll find lists on here that people suggest for things to pack, you can fine tune your own list to maximize your packing efficiency.

8. Breadbox

Breadbox Volvo powered

We got large canvas tote bags from LL Bean, which are durable, somewhat weatherproof and sit perfectly on the long counter in the picture below. We've camped for more than a week out of those without a problem.

[​IMG]

9. 4xMeteor

4xMeteor Active Member

I made shelves for the bunk end for our cloths - works great.

[​IMG]

10. jeanmariemc

jeanmariemc New Member

4xMeteor...how does this shelf attach to the pup? Interested! We currently make a big mess of the unused bunkend but some order would be great.

11. mrwithit

mrwithit New Member

[​IMG]

We found this Kelty tote at a garage sale. Works great for the four of us. Like others have said small totes limit what we need. We never cook inside and the tote fits perfectly next to the sink.

We also take a small duffel for foul weather gear too. Dirty clothes end up in a trash bag on longer trips. For shorter trips dirty clothes seem to make themselves into a pile and the get bundled up in the sheets and removed on tear down.

12. armyguy

armyguy US [USA]

I just looked up that Kelty Bureau, $99 on sale for $75, good steal you got

13. mrwithit

mrwithit New Member

It was brand new still in box! Paid $25. It's really worked well for us.

14. tvketchum

tvketchum New Member

15. 4xMeteor

4xMeteor Active Member

I drilled holes in the bars, then used chain to hold it in place. The width of my PUP allowed me to use a 6ft length of shelf with minor trimming. I have more photos on my site.

http://www.oakscastle.com/trailer.php?album=trailer/shelves.html

16. PuckerbrushCity

PuckerbrushCity I have a ME Gazetteer and I'm not afraid to use it

In the past, I have used all of the above at one point or another. Back in the days of couplehood, we used drawers and/or bins on the other bunk end, since it was just the two of us. However, this next trip (first time pulling my very own camper with my car!) a DF will be accompanying me and sleeping in the other bed...so I'm thinking this time it's going to have to be plastic bins, stacked outside...but love the idea of the closet organizer thing...I was thinking along the lines of the mesh pocketed shower curtain, but this is better! Thanks!

17. Yar

Yar Garland, TX

There is just the two of us, so our bags go on the other bunk. If our extended family (5 extras) decides to come along then we take a tent large enough to stand in. All of the duffels go in there and there is plenty of room to stand and change. It keeps the clutter out of the pup.

18. GA Judy

GA Judy Active Member

Great idea with the tent! I'll keep that in mind if any of our family ever wants to join us - which they don't so far! [:(]