Where do you shop for steak?

IVBENS

Super Active Member
Aug 15, 2011
I just ordered a special at Omaha Steaks, here's the link: http://www.omahasteaks.com/servlet/redirect?fromUri=/fvc20

This is the first time we order from them, but I've had some of their product before and it was delicious. Got me wondering to where ohers get their meats besides your local meat markets, super markets and Wally World. Any other mail-order places you might suggest?

scollins

Feb 24, 2013
I go straight to the Butcher. I live a few miles from Detroit and there we have a place called Eastern Market. It's the oldest open air market in the country dating back to 1891 with continuous operation since then. At the south end there is the Gratiot Meat Market with over a dozen butchers. You can get anything from raccoon to filet mignon, all locally sourced and well priced. I usually pay about 4$ a pound for the best filet you can get! Its a great place to get uncooked beef leg bones for my dogs too. Holiday market is good too and has a steady, reasonably priced supply of buffalo.

wapwap

Aug 15, 2011
We've used Omaha Steaks too. But have found these two also do pretty well:
http://www.kansascitysteaks.com
http://www.allenbrothers.com

We've done pretty well getting some good steaks at a local meat market too. But the place that suprised us the most... Sam's Club! I was not expecting to get a really good steak there, but happened to be there shopping and was running out of time to get to our favorite meat market before they closed on a Saturday. I figured "what the heck, we'll try it an see." The worst case scenario... never would have gotten steak there again. But the steaks have been really good every single time we've gotten them! [BBQ]

ridenred333

Apr 23, 2013
Try to do a search of farmers in your state. I have been looking myself. You can buy anywhere from 1/4 of a cow to the whole thing. I was trying to find range feed cows and thinking of splitting a cow with someone at work.

IVBENS

Super Active Member
Aug 15, 2011
ridenred333 said:
Try to do a search of farmers in your state. I have been looking myself. You can buy anywhere from 1/4 of a cow to the whole thing. I was trying to find range feed cows and thinking of splitting a cow with someone at work.

I've given this some thought also... we have a place not far from home that does this. I would need a freezer though, not out of the question.

efehser

Super Active Member
Sep 3, 2012
ridenred333 said:

My parents used to do this, they'd split with some friends. Filled a 25 cf freezer.

BarbaraFaith

Super Active Member
Oct 15, 2011
As a kid, the only kind of steak we had was floured, pounded out and fried round steak. It wasn't until I was on my own that I learned that their were steaks that were just for one person.

I am fussy about the tenderness of my steak. It's maybe a regional thing here, but there is a brand called "No-Name Steaks" that are sold in most grocery stores. They are sirloins that were tenderized, and come in packs of 4 - in the freezer section. They cook up nicely on the foreman and are tender They come in 4 oz or 6 oz.
They make an easy/quick dinner. For DH, I add a skewer of 2 of shrimp, or a lobster tail.

Keep in mind that it's just DH & I, so we probably eat differently than people with kids. For a special meal, I prefer a New York Strip steak or Filet Mignon. Whole Foods has the best, it's grass fed, but pricey. There is a higher end store here (Lunds/Byerlys) that has excellent meat and when strips or filets are on sale, I'll stock up on them.

Campit

EAT SLEEP CAMP
Sep 16, 2011
We have been getting our steaks from Farm Fresh and Harris Teeter. But lately the steaks are not good quality. When you eat them, they don't have that good beef taste as in the past. We have talked about finding a meat market where they get their beef on the hook. And grain fed is important too. I think that would give us a better tasting cut of meat.

Campit

hotrodcamper

Super Active Member
Nov 3, 2012
We buy either a 1/4 or 1/2 of cow. My BIL raises cattle and hogs. We can get whatever we want. We just have to find other people to take what we don't need. Freezer is getting bare,waiting for him to to have a cow ready to butcher.

ghacker

Super Active Member
Nov 8, 2009
Most of our meat/fish is brought from a local butcher. Their marinades are incredible and have excellent cuts of meat. Haven't been disappointed in 19 yrs.

Yooperwannabe

Super Active Member
Mar 31, 2006
Clinton, Illinois
Steak? What is this of which you speak? I am sorry, I don't understand the question!!!! We don't have steak very often, in fact we rarely eat red meat anymore. The last steak we had came from Walmart........it was a Sirlion, pierced with a meat tenderizer, grilled to perfection,while camping and it was so good.

IVBENS

Super Active Member
Aug 15, 2011
Yooperwannabe said:
Steak? What is this of which you speak? I am sorry, I don't understand the question!!!! We don't have steak very often, in fact we rarely eat red meat anymore. The last steak we had came from Walmart........it was a Sirlion, pierced with a meat tenderizer, grilled to perfection,while camping and it was so good.

What is steak? This!

cowboy11753

WD, SCJ and HRH Charles the Furball
Feb 6, 2011
We get ours from the Westby Ranch in Sedona. No chemicals and no hormones. We get all our ground beef from them as well. Makes spectacular chili and sloppy joes.

IVBENS

Super Active Member
Aug 15, 2011
Yooperwannabe said:
IVBENS, that is not a steak, that is whole dang cow. Ha ha ha. Looks wonderful!!!!

Yes it was! Father's Day dinner last year. Leftovers made for great steak and eggs breakfast