Where do you store your solar panel?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Evan Gaffney, Mar 22, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Evan Gaffney

Evan Gaffney Member

I just finished a massive update of the electrical system in my '87 Coleman Sequoia. LED everything, extra outlets (USB, 12v, and 120), and redundant systems for shore power, solar charging, or running off the battery. Super happy with how it all came out, but now I have a logistical question...

Where do I put my 100W solar panel?

I decided not to roof mount because I wanted to be able to position and angle the panel on the ground for maximum efficiency, so it needs to go somewhere when the camper is shut, and I'd rather that "somewhere" wasn't my garage or the tow vehicle. Does anyone have a clever solution? I was thinking I might 3D print some parts to hang it from the ceiling next the the camper door (I figure if there's room for the door to squish down over the folded canvas, then there must be room for the panel too), but what do y'all do with yours?

Thanks!

2. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

on the bed if you are not going to use it when the PUP is stored

Mark CASTELLANI likes this.
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

In travel, mine rides on the couch in it's original box. I banished the cushions to the floor. I like the idea of storing it on the roof. Wish my roof was more solid than just a foam sandwich.

Mark CASTELLANI likes this.
  4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We now have two solar panels; one is used to charge the trailer, the other for our free-standing Goal Zero Yeti 150 battery. Our original Goal Zero set is 60 watts, 4 15-watt panels, and the suitcase-style Zamp 160.
    The GZ set stores in a compartment under the dinette bench, we did the same in the pup. The 4 separate panels clip together, so that makes it easy.
    The Zamp is about 30#, so I can still handle it on solo trips. I tend to transport it in the truck. With the Silverado 1500, we have a nice. almost flat, cargo area when the back seat is folded up, so it slides into that area well, standing on edge against the bottom of the seats. On trips when we don't use it at every spot, this is very handy, since it's out of the way until we need it. Otherwise, since we now have a TT with a bed that stays made up, it usually travels on the bed. I think it would fit in the 4Runner backseat if we were still using that as TV, but we didn't try that, just transported it in the TT. In our last pup, it would (I think) stood on edge, next to the flipped over galley, and we'd just have had to put the stuff there somewhere else; we didn't buy the Zamp until we had had the TT for a few months.

5. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

We also have an added "shelf" in the rear of the 2008 Liberty, across the back - the portable 100W panel fits in there if necessary. This shelf sits where the retractable screen sits on the high-end Liberty.