Where do your dogs sleep?

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by Gardener, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Gardener

Gardener New Member

Hi all! We’re new pup campers. When we tented in the past, our small yorkie dog slept in the van at night. Now that we have our tent trailer, I’m wondering if it’s wise to let the dog sleep with us inside the trailer. We usually camp in frontcountry campgrounds (usually Banff), but bears might be around. Where do your dogs sleep? What are the pros and cons of letting the dog sleep in the trailer? Thanks!

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Ours sleep in the trailer, usually they climb on the bed and sleep beside us. .

Gardener likes this.
  3. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

Welcome Gardener! Banff is number 1 on my bucket/wish list!

Gardener likes this.
  4. ny_rocking_chairs

ny_rocking_chairs Active Member

Ours are a bit bigger (50 and 65 lbs) but they claimed the sofa/seat right next to our bed, makes for getting up in the middle of the night interesting to not step on a dog. We tried bringing their beds but they ignored those and sleep as close to us as the rules allow.

MaeKay, Jorja, Gardener and 1 other person like this.
  5. myride

myride Well-Known Member

.....anywhere they want...usually cuddled up to our feet......Banff is nice but we're more the Jasper kinda folk.....less crowded!

Steve0we, MaeKay and Gardener like this.
  6. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

[​IMG]

7. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Our Furry heater sleeps with us on the bunk invited or not.

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Mine are in the camper as well. I keep the couch collapsed in bed mode so I can fit my fur boy's crate. My other dog slept on the floor in front of the door or under the dinnette table. I prefer them close where I know they are watching over everything and will let me know if anything is wrong. In the cold they are keeping me warm on my bed. I keep the food and dog food in the car so if a bear was to look for food it would be the car they go to and not the camper. I do not keep anything food related in the camper especially if I camp in bear country.

MaeKay, Jorja and Gardener like this.
  9. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

We just have the one border collie/aussie shepherd cross, she sleeps on the dinette seat next to our bunk mostly, sometimes she'll crawl up between us during the night.
    IMG_20150415_195048.jpg

Rik Peery, Tracy D., Bowman3d and 2 others like this.
  10. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

In warm weather, our westies usually sleep on the dinette seats. We have a cabinet under our bed that is outfitted with a closed cell foam pad, blankets, and a fabric door flap for cold weather.

All the food, human and canine, is kept in the tow vehicle. Most of our camping is in bear country, and we've never had a problem.

Gardener and Jorja like this.
  11. kudzu

kudzu Active Member

We've 3 large dogs in a small Aframe trailer. The dinette is always set up as a bed for the dogs. That's where they sleep at night or during the day if we leave the dogs in there while we go do something non-dog friendly. At least that's where they're supposed to sleep. In practice, if one of the humans vacates the bed a dog quickly occupies their space. If we both leave the camper, two or more dogs switch to our bed.

It was similar when we tent camped with the dogs. They slept with us, not in the car. In the Southeast, cars can heat up to dangerous temperatures even in the Winter.

Most of our camping is in black bear country, no grizzlies. Have never worried about the dogs when in camp. We do store our food & cooking equipment in bear boxes when available. And I did nearly all my cooking and meal prep outside the camper. (We do use the microwave sometimes.) We keep a food in the fridge, so there so it's still a risk. I figure since bear smells well enough to catch odors from the fridge, they will also catch the sent of us & our hounds inside. Perhaps that's enough to reduce the chance of a bear break in, assuming there's easier pickings nearby.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    Gardener and Jorja like this.
  12. Jorja

Jorja Active Member

Our two rescues - border and Aussie mixes - sleep wherever they want in the trailer.

Either the corner couch area, floor or even a dinnette bench.

And if I have the electric blanket on the king size bunk end (acting like a mattress warmer) with a quilt, it has happened that the two girls and I have been snuggling into the toasty warmth of the bed while Mr. Jorja has ended up on the couch (too hot!)

: )

Gardener likes this.
  13. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

If DW goes Gypsy sleeps on the bed with us, has since she first came home the rest sleep mostly on the couch or on the floor. If DW stays home Pebbles sleeps on her side of the bed. Gypsy used to be my camping partner but with age she only wants to go if MOM goes :) which is ok with pebbles who love the camper and loves riding in the truck. all ours are small 3 1/2 Chihuahuas
    Pebbles is 1/2 Feist. All are rescues.

Jorja, Gardener and jmkay1 like this.
  14. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

In the bunks with us. Doggies include 140 lb German Shepherd, 90 lb Pit Bull, and 60 lb Mixed Sweetie.

15. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

and I thought I had it bad when we had a 90 lb Lab & 60 lb Pit! I will never complain again about having the Pit in bed again.

Gardener and Orchid like this.
  16. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Our Golden sleeps with us, with the boys, on the floor, all within the same hour, then lather, rinse, repeat ;)

notrondk, Ruby Jean, MaeKay and 2 others like this.
  17. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Lexie sleeps in the giant space next to my 8" sliver of mattress....[DOG]

MagsCee, Dogs & Pup, kcsa75 and 6 others like this.
  18. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

The vet wants our Pit to lose 5-10lbs, but I don't see where she would lose it from. I felt her all over and she is hard as a rock. The only place not solid is a tiny bit of loose skin on her belly, where she got fixed. All of our dogs are free fed, and not changing that, but do encourage her to play catch, and run more often, with the others. She's kind of lazy.

19. Grousetales

Grousetales New Member

Our GSP sleeps in his crate in the back of the truck. He sleeps in his crate at home too, so this is no different for him.

20. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Mine sleeps on the floor on his bed. (He doesn't use furniture at home either.) The actual floor space in our camper is little over 6'x2'. Dog is ~80 lbs and takes up a large chunk of it. We're thinking of getting something a little bigger.

I never considered having him sleep in the truck. I have considered letting a kid sleep in the truck, though.

upstate family likes this.