Where is your favorite place to camp?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by jozo71, Mar 3, 2013.

1. jozo71

jozo71 New Member

Hello all, I'm new to the site so i'm sorry if this has already been asked. Where is your favorite place to camp? My wife and two kids like to go to Copper Falls State Park here in WI. Not just because it's about 20 min from us, though it helps, but the walking trails are just beautiful, especially in fall. In spring or after a heavy rain, you can hear the water rushing over the falls, helps me to fall asleep. Plus, most of the time everyone is very friendly. Looking forward to hear what you all have to say. Stay safe out there friends.

dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/name/copperfalls/

2. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I prefer primitive national forest campgrounds or boondocking spots in the middle of the wilderness outside of a campground. The more isolated and quiet, the better. I like the mountains here in Washington/Oregon and the Southwestern deserts.

3. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

Welcome from southern Wisconsin. Love Copper Falls! We've vacationed near Cable Wisconsin for 40+ years. First time to Copper Falls last summer. Nicest state park yet! Won't make it that far north this summer. Most people in southern Wisconsin have heard of it,but haven't been there. It's their loss!

4. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

Non-urban state parks.

In Colorado, you cannot have campfires outside of established campgrounds. Fire is important to me. Having a toilet is important to my wife and kids. Thus, no boondocking. Only campgrounds.

I must be in the woods, in the mountains. I don't care for the lake-side sites, as they tend to be pretty open and barren here in CO.

State parks generally have flush toilets, showers, and power. Not all do, but ~75% of them do. Places like Golden Gate Canyon and Mueller are deep in the mountains, thick timber, but convenient to get to. Those are my favorites.

5. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

I live on a Beach so in the woods on a Mountain [8D]

6. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

Worlds End SP in PA

[​IMG]

7. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

A campground in a forest which out West means mountain camping. Favorite is around San Juan Mountains in SW Colorado.

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We do most of our camping in CO, UT, AZ and (a bit) in NM, we tend to head for mountains and deserts. We generally prefer public campgrounds, mostly Forest Service, but it depends on the specific trip, where we want to hike, and the general areas we want to use as base camps. Dry camping is our usual style but we'll choose electric sites in colder months, if we can get it where we want to go. Now that we have solar panels, that isn't as important, but the electric mattress pad is sure nice when the low temperatures head below about 35.

So far, we have chosen not to boondock; not saying we won't ever, but we have found lots of remote campgrounds - some less crowded than nearby boondockers we have seen. In some cases, we chose not-quite-as-remote campgrounds, to use as a base to visit and area from, especially some of the national parks. Being able to stroll over the the edge of Grand Canyon, for example, after supper, is great.

9. Jimbow

Jimbow Active Member

In the past four years we've been from Acadia NP to Big Bend NP, Yellowstone, Shenandoah, Rocky Mountain, Guadalupe, and I am certain a couple more I can't remember. My favorite is the one I'm at that moment. But the one I miss, the one I long for, the when I die scatter my ashes place, is Big Bend. From the mountains to the desert, the canyons along the river to Dog Canyon to the north, I just love the place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

10. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

Vista Royalle Campground in Bancroft WI, during the week when it's deserted except for seasonals.

11. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

I would love to have the freedom to boondock but that is not an option for me. Having said that, we prefer State Campgrounds or Forest Preserves. We like site that have a semblance of privacy, many trees, water view is a plus, must have a place for my grandboys to fish. The truth is, what ever campground I am at, is my favorite for that time.

12. daveo1289

daveo1289 Active Member

Hello and welcome to the site. You'll find a lot of information and friendly people here.

We like the state campgrounds in central and western NY. Always clean and well maintained.

13. campermom

campermom Member

Our all time favorite place to camp is Knoebel's in Elysburg, PA. It is an old time amusement park and campground that will not break your bank. But, sadly we are living here in Florida now and I must say we have found that Cody's Catfish Pond and RV Park in Weeki Wachee, FL is a wonderful spot. We have been there in both our tent and out PUP. [8D]

14. badgamuss

badgamuss Member

Anywhere in the mountains with plenty of hiking trails. [:D]

15. Popup Sailor

Popup Sailor New Member

We camp in different places all the time. It is what I love best about camping. We often camp at Amelia Island Florida and St. Augustine Florida because they are close to home. The most stunning camping we have done has been 3 weeks down in Bahia Honda State Park near Key West Florida.

[​IMG]

16. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

I prefer the mountains and forest. I do also enjoy some desert camping in the spring and fall.

17. bccamper

bccamper Member

We prefer our Michigan State Parks. We have stayed at a KOA and a couple of other privately owned CG's and the experience just wasnt the same. Our favorite is Hoffmaster SP on Lake Michigan.

18. Sushidog

Sushidog Active Member

"I want to see mountains again Gandalf, mountains. And then find somewhere quiet where I can finish my book. I need a holiday — a very long holiday — and I don't expect I shall return. In fact, I mean not to!" Bilbo Baggins

My sentiments exactly. My DW and I are planning on a full-time mobile retirement and it can't come soon enough!

Chip

19. Zenzilla

Zenzilla New Member

Hocking Hills in Ohio when we tent camped but with new popup not sure where it will be [SUN]

20. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

I kind of like camp backyard. Not my most favorite,but no traffic going to or home from. We have 4 1/2 acres and no close neighbors. Build a big fire and sleep like a baby!