Where Is Your Next Or Planned Or Best Hope For A Camping Trip?

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by NJGuy, Mar 4, 2013.

1. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Even before finishing a camping trip, I am planning the next one. Fortunately, next for me is a backcountry trip to Death Valley National Park in 10 days! However, towing my PUP is not advised. Back to tent camping for this adventure.

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Grand Canyon, South Rim, in April.
    It looks like we won't get out camping this month, but at least we got a short hike into Sandia Wilderness yesterday. We'll be concentrating on day hikes for now, to get me back up to a good level of endurance for rocky trails and "wash or sandy walking" (those who have hiked in some of the west will know what that means - sometimes I think it should count at 1-1/2 times the actual distance).

3. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

I live about 5 hours away and have yet to camp on South Rim. Instead, we camp/visit North Rim since it is closer. One of these days, we will do a Northern AZ trip to include South Rim which has most of the classic overlooks.

4. badgamuss

badgamuss Member

I am headed HERE for the last week in March.

5. kitphantom

South Rim is about 7-8 hours for us (w/stops), North Rim a bit farther, so we're now taking two days to get there. I like visiting both, as they are different experiences.
    DH still has day hikes he want to do at South Rim, plus some backpacks (ones that are too ambitious for me). One advantage of going to South Rim once or twice a year is that we've now seen it in various seasons and types of weather. Over time, I have walked the Rim Trail from South Kaibab trail head to Hermit's Rest - some of it more than once and/or in both directions.

6. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Hopefully West Branch SP in late march/early April to meet up with Old Geezer

7. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Maybe the Land Between the Lakes NRA this weekend; hard to plan that far out...

8. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

hmmm, interesting lake milton is only a 2 hour drive for me, what dates are you thinking about going up? this could be a possiblity for me. im pulling my camper out of mine storage end of march at wampum pa. im half way at that point

9. RockyRoo

Vagov, depends on what happens with a situation at work with me. Either going to be easter weekend or possibly the first weekend in April if John can make that work for him. We figure West Branch is exactly the halfway point for both of us and it looks like a pretty decent park. You are more than welcome to join us but the timing will likely be very last minute

10. Retired Alex

Retired Alex New Member

Don't know if I have mentioned this anywhere on this board or not but my ideal trip, and I have been mulling this over for a couple of years now, would be to follow US highway 11 all the way from Rousses Point on the top end of Lake Champlain to New Orleans. Someday, maybe, right now health issues keep getting in the way.

11. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Probably April...maybe late March. Just a local boondock for a long weekend. Unfortunately, I think we're going to have a pretty crummy camping season out here this year...dry as a bone. Went up to the Jemez Mts and they should have piles of snow...there's like none. My guess is the forests will be closed by mid May around here.

12. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

rocky roo, keep me posted, i may just be able to make something happen , im suppossed to pull my pup out of storage march 22 but may extend that a extra week or so. im hoping this cold weather and snow breaks for good soon, (plus im dying to try out the bunk covers i just bought. ) i checked the cg website looks like ample sites are available. so booking a few sites last minute shouldnt be a problem. im also thinking some fishing, is that a private lake? id rather skip if i need a out of state fish license, and do that in pa another date. i be more interested in april, but not sure yet if dw would be joining me or possible just solo and the dog. either way let me know how things work out between you and john and we will play it by ear [:D]

13. RockyRoo

Not sure about the lake situation honestly, I assume it is part of the SP. We will keep ya posted. Not sure if john will have the wife or not.

14. kitphantom

We've been wondering about the snow levels in the mountains. One reason the June trip to the Pecos (probably Jack's Creek) is tentative is that would definitely be in the time frame of forest closures if they happen (i.e., if we don't get moisture). We hiked Embudo Canyon into the Sandia wilderness, a little over a mile from the trailhead yesterday. There was a little bit of moisture and snow/slush from last week's storm, but not much. I remember having to slide down one section on the horse by-pass a few years ago due to snow/ice, not so yesterday.

15. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I have nothing currently planned before the Washington rally at the end of June but that's not a problem. We can't usually get into most mountain CGs before mid-May but I'll try for a personal season opener along the west side of the Hood Canal or over in the eastern Washington desert in mid-April.

16. Wildwoodflower77

Wildwoodflower77 Member

Beautiful! I've been there quite a few times (and smelled the burning brakes of others lol) but have never camped there. Make sure to give us a review.

17. Wildwoodflower77

Wildwoodflower77 Member

Our next is our local county park, Lithia Springs. Beautiful campground with great springs to swim in and a few riverfront sites. Looks like it will hit high 70s, low 80s while we're there so swimming should be just fine. [:D]

18. badgamuss

badgamuss Member

That is what I have heard. I have good brakes all the way around with a new P3 brake controller. Should be good to go. [;)]

19. apopkabob

apopkabob New Member

Next trip is Ft Wilderness and Disney world during Spring Break

20. mrwithit

mrwithit New Member

Hoping for a Southern Utah week over spring break, depends on weather there and here though. If not, then for sure we are doing three weeks: Teton Valley, ID->Flaggstaff->Durango->Estes Park