Where to boondock ( dispursed) East of Mississippi river...

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by rsdata, Sep 11, 2020.

1. rsdata

rsdata Active Member

I would love to go all the way to AZ, UT, CO, WY or anywhere out west where Fed disbursed camping land is abundant. I just can't find my way to do that, with all the fuel expense, ( from my home near Cincinnati), etc.

I know of a few primitive camping sites in FL near Tallahassee, and around Big Cyprus and Everglades area, but they are still assigned camping spots and would be primitive but not dispersed.

Where here in the east ( mainly KY, TN, AL, GA and FL is there true boondocking ( dispersed) free camping?

Are you willing to share a place and list a known camping location, with or without assigned camping pads ( free or not free)?

2. Arruba

Arruba Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Have you considered the National Forests around you? All the states you mentioned have at least one Forest including the Wayne in Ohio. They allow dispersed camping, (Boondocking). Almost universally National Forests allow dispersed camping anywhere that doesn’t block a road, trailhead or feature unless designated otherwise; for example in my area there’s no camping within 200ft of water. That said almost universally they have access and travel management plans that limit cross country travel, in short you can’t pull your trailer a mile off-road into the brush to camp. Some of the National Recreation Areas allow dispersed camping too and are usually managed by the Forest Service. A another option to explore is the State Forests and Wildlife areas.

As for a specific place, your best bet is get a map, do some Google foo, find something and/or someplace that interests you then call the agency that manages the spot to get the specifics. Armed with information hook up and take an exploratory trip.

Good luck.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    rsdata, gladecreekwy and Orchid like this.
  3. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I agree with the National Forests. Two of them near me - Osceola and Ocala. Find ya a spot and camp. (Florida)

rsdata likes this.
  4. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Wisconsin and Michigan have NF's you can disperse camp in. Is that two far from you??

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    Family Travels and rsdata like this.
  5. joet

joet Well-Known Member

West Virginia has a lot of National Forest land and with it come dispersed camping

Arlyn Aronson and rsdata like this.
  6. rsdata

rsdata Active Member

For some reason,other than FL, I have not checked out NF camping... I have always relied on some organized camp ground, with or without a ranger station... somewhere where I put an envelope into a LOCK BOX and register and pay my fee... that is just what I have always done, since I started camping in the mid-70's.

So I will start researching National Forest areas...

I for two years in a row, 10 years ago, went to MI in the fall, Sept into early Oct. Very pleasant camping near Lake Superior, and Lake MI but these were state run or Fed campgrounds, not dispersed.

Thanks for the help... any SPECIFIC areas withing any of the nearby NF areas?

7. Arlyn Aronson

If you were in the UP of MI, were did you camp in the past??

8. rsdata

rsdata Active Member

I started at Straits St Park in St. Ignace, then Tahquamenon Falls S Park, then Hurricane River Fed campground on the shore of Superior. We also got 2 nights in at Twelvemile Beach Fed campground. Then back to Straits S Park. Hurricane River and Twelvemile Beach was dry camping, first come first served, but not dispersed. Both were very pleasant spaces but also highly sought after. This was the two weeks after Labor Day about 2011

Arlyn Aronson likes this.
  9. Arlyn Aronson

Oh gee, you were in the far eastern portion. Sorry to say, we don't get over there very often. [:(]

10. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

It's not easy to find, unless you are backpacking or canoe camping. This is what you find at the Forestry Service web site for SC.
    "Dispersed camping is primitive camping (like backpack camping or canoe camping) that occurs outside of developed campgrounds and within the general forest. RV and car camping are not allowed as dispersed camping. Camps should be at least 50 feet from water and trails, and ½ mile from any road or parking lot. No permit is required for dispersed camping on the Andrew Pickens district in the mountains."

rsdata likes this.
  11. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

PA Allegheny National Forest and Dispersed motorized with permit in PA State Forest.

Arlyn Aronson, Jim K in PA and rsdata like this.