Where to camp in North Carolina ??

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by wolfcat1, Sep 9, 2011.

1. wolfcat1

wolfcat1 New Member

We are trying to plan a camping trip in NC for late March or early-mid April 2012. But we know nothing about the area and need your help....This is our requirements, need a CG with full hook ups, pet friendly (our two camping dogs always go with us), near the mountains, but not IN the mountains, and close to the scenic parkway...also the site must be on the water i.e., a lake, a river, or a pond..etc...and sites not too close together...We are thinking about some place close to Asheville, NC...Any suggestions?

Thank You for your time,
    Wolfie

2. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Wolfcat1...I like NW NC for camping, but where I go doesn't have everything you want. There are a few campground all around this area. I'd bet you'll have plenty of opinions and options once this thread gets started! I've only been to Asheville once, and that was a hotel trip, but I had a great time there!

Good luck.
    [:D]

3. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

We have not camped with them, but 4pawskingdom campground caters to dogs and their owners. There are less than an hour east of Asheville, in the beautiful foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, just minutes from Chimney Rock and Lake Lure, NC.

4. dackley

dackley 1999 Jayco Heritage Laurel with popout

Look up moonshine creek camp ground, balsam.nc. We stayed there twice last year 2 days and 10 days, we are in love with the place, 1.5 miles from a entrance to the blue ridge parkway every day we got on the parkway and drove north, we were there in late october, so the leaves were beautiful. they take dogs, we have 3, there is a running creek next to every site, and its 1/2 mile from highway. we will be back there in october. ck it out.

5. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Wow! Nice place. A bit far for ME to drive, but maybe one day!!

6. wolfcat1

wolfcat1 New Member

Guys, is moonshine creek camp ground in the mountains any?? Reason I'm asking is our 1/2 ton Burb is fine on flat lands but would probably OD pulling our camper up mountains or on excessive switch backs..

Thnks, wolfie

7. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

It sort of LOOKS like it, but looks can be deceiving! [LOL] Don's still online, so maybe he can holler!

8. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

Moonshine Creek is definitely as nice as dackley says. But it is in the mountains. I think you'll have to pull some hills coming from any direction. If I remember right from when we stayed there, it is at a little over 3,000 feet elevation.

9. Lizooki

Lizooki getting back 2 nature

The thing about being close to the scenic parkway ( the Blueridge Parkway) is pretty much asking for mountains since it pretty much rides the ridge of the Smokey Mtns.
    Now there is a place similar to what you ask for , but it's in VA. Claytor Lake St. Park But there are a couple of problems.
    1- cg is not on the water ..... but is close.
    2-they only have one well spaced section with hook-ups. The rest are no hook-up ( very nice tho') or parking lot style pull thru's that have hook-ups and allow anyone to use.

BUT it is a very nice place.

Matt -

most of my camping has been in the Uwharrie Mtns. , hopefully I can tell you more later on.

10. emptynest

emptynest New Member

Check out Bandits Roost Campground located on the W. Kerr Scott Reservoir in Wilkesboro. Reservations must
    be made through the NRRS call center or online at recreation.gov. Its not close to Asheville, but it's an easy pull to
    I-40 to Wilkesboro. [2C]

It's close to the Blue Ridge Parkway, Boone, Shatley Springs, Pilot Mountain and Mount Airy. Mount Airy is the
    birth place of Andy Griffith, you can stop in at the Snappy Lunch for their famous fried pork chop sandwich. :)

11. Freebie5

Freebie5 Happy Camping

Asheville is gorgeous with lots to do close by...visit the little town of Hot Springs!!! :)

12. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

The Blue Ridge and the Great Smoky Mountains are two separate ranges; both, however, are part of the Appalachian complex.

The Blue Ridge Parkway follows the Blue Ridge from Rockfish Gap at the southern boundary of Shenandoah National Park south for 354 miles to The Pinnacle near Mount Mitchell. From there, it jumps over to the Black Mountains, then the Craggies, then Pisgah Ridge and the Balsams and Plott Balsams before dropping down to the Ocanaluftee River at Great Smoky Mountains National Park. It never actually enters the Great Smoky Mountains.

In fact, for most of its length in the Old North State, the Blue Ridge Parkway doesn't follow the Blue Ridge.

Pretty pedantic stuff, but I was a parkway employee and we had to learn our mountain ranges.

13. CampingGators

CampingGators Awaiting the day...

Years ago we camped at a CCC campground in the far west part of NC. The camp was great. We were near the French Broad River (not on it, however). We went white water rafting on that river, which was fun. Not as rough as the New River in WV. The campground was near a stream - my husband and kids hiked down there, but we could not see it from the camp site. I don't recall if they take pets. [SUN]

14. Appfan

Appfan New Member

I've heard really good things about Hickory Nut Campground near Chimney Rock. We were actually planning on heading there this coming weekend until we found out they have a 2 night minimum. Definitely going there in the Spring.

15. Mule

Mule Jesus loved camping too.

If you are still looking check out www.TwinRiversFamilyCampground.com Sounds like just what you want and a great place with every campsite right on the New River. The ground is one mile along the river, the owners are great and do not bother you. Even the primative sites can take in pop ups and have lots of green between you and neighbors - but have no hook ups. Its in the sticks, so don't forget anything. Good fishing and lots or running room for my dogs too.
    Greg

16. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

We stayed at Hickory Nut Falls Campground with DW and grand daughters, back in April. Have some pics in my Webshots.

Click Here

17. YellowXterra

YellowXterra New Member

There are several campgrounds in and around Cherokee NC that fit what you want. Deep Creek is nice and on the river where you can tube right from your campsite.

18. TRay

TRay New Member

If you want to be near Asheville you are in the mountains and there is a stretch going up that is quite steep. A great place to check out is Cascade Lake CG which is right on Cascade Lake. It is a bit of a drive to the Parkway but it is just outside Dupont State Forest which has many beautiful waterfalls and great hiking. Take a look and you can decide. http://www.cascadelakerecreationarea.com/