Where to camp Memorial Day!?!

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by Campy Meg, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Campy Meg

Campy Meg New to the PUP world!

New PUP owners, looking to camp Memorial Day fairly close to home (Philadelphia Suburbs). Any suggestions? Rickett's Glen State Park has no availability. Thanks for any input!

[CP]

2. mschepac

mschepac South Jersey

As much as it would be nice to camp on a longer weekend, we avoid holidays like the plague... Toooooo many people...
    Good Luck!

3. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Right, holiday weekend bring out the one time campers. You know, just bought a tent at K-Mart and went camping for the only time in their lives. "Hey, let's chop down that sapling and use it for firewood." I have actually seen that happen.

If you must camp though you could try French Creek State Park. Beautiful park lots of space between campsites.

4. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

Meg _ We camp every Memorial Day weekend, we take advantage of the kids having the day off from school. Another one to try is Elk Neck State Park in Maryland. Not too far from Philadelphia. Also Maryland state parks have a later check out, so you can enjoy extra time on your last day.

I think we are camping in western PA that weekend.

5. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

jeepmama where at in western PA? i will be in hemitage PA towards sharon PA and the ohio line

6. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

We'll be camping in old_geezer's neck of the woods, Laurel Hill SP [:D] Jeepin Dad picked this campground. It is not too far from my Aunt and Uncle who live in West Newton, at least it's close enough that they want to drive over for an afternoon and visit with us.

7. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Jeep mama. I know laurel hill well. I too live close to that within a hour. If you get a chance check out falling water. Its a historic frank lyodd house close by. And the 911 memorial is not too far a drive on the other side of somerset When your traveling on route 31 you turn right at a private campground named pioneer park. I also stayed there beforeIn the past. Then the state park is about 3 miles or so up the road if memory serves me well. Too bad i will be up north that weekend it would be great to meet you.... Maybe another time soon. Have fun. John

8. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

John - those are both places I would love to go see :) Keep the Little Pine SP rally in mind for Columbus Day Weekend :)

Labor Day Weekend we'll be at Pine Grove Furnace SP, not too far from Gettysburg. Nice fishing lake :)

9. Kristy0329

Kristy0329 New Member

Don't know if it has availability, but Promised Land sp in Greentown PA is really nice! I also agree Elk Neck is nice. You could always drive a few extra hours and join me in Lake Placid!

10. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

not the holiday weekend however, still growing the cook forest rally last weekend in june if anyone close enough by has a interest?

11. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

We will be too [LOL]

12. jayco1997

jayco1997 New Member

this is just too funny, I can actually picture this whole scene happening, lol

13. sebring96hbg

sebring96hbg New Member

I played reservation system roulette last week and scored a full hookup site for my X23B at Promised Land SP, likely available due to a cancellation. And people do cancel for various reasons.

While considering SPs, keep in mind Ives Run, an ACoE park in northern PA, if travel plans permit. I've read good reviews on Ives Run and it is on my list.

Good luck!

14. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Zion NP is a good place to see this most of the year, especially in the tent-only loops, with Grand Canyon a close second. We think it is because they are within relatively easy driving distance of the Las Vegas and Phoenix airports. People seem to think of camping as part of the "Western" experience, so fly in, rent a car, buy a tent & other equipment at Walmart (we've seen them abandoned when they leave, too), and go camping.

As for holiday weekend trips, we limit them (usually) to places that are not very accessible. The hint about checking for cancellations is a good one, plans do change for any number of reasons. Many campgrounds fill almost as soon as the reservations open, so if you can be flexible, you might find a site as the holiday approaches.