Where to camp?

Discussion in 'Washington' started by drgiese, Apr 7, 2018.

1. drgiese

drgiese Active Member

We will be traveling from Portland to Seattle in mid-June and have a few days to kill between destinations. Where are good places to camp? Ideally there would be pretty views accessible with short (1-2 mile) easy hikes, a safe place to swim, and flush toilets.

2. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

I love Discovery Park in Magnolia (Seattle). A nice walk through the fields then a fairly easy hike down to the beach. Haven’t been there in several years but it was one of my favorites.

The rest of my suggestions would be off the I-5 corridor.

3. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Ignore that. I was only reading that you were looking for places to hike, not camp. (Duh...) Discovery Park is just for hiking.

drgiese likes this.
  4. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

You have quite a few options of great places to see, all of which require a bit of a drive off the i-5 corridor.

Cape Disappointment would be at the top of my list of suggestions for the time of year you will be going. We stayed at the state park there in 2016, and I would definitely recommend it. The CG is a short walk from the ocean and the views, especially from up by the lighthouse are incredible.

DSCN9393.JPG DSCN9525.JPG

And, if you drive a bit north up the coast to Long Beach, you can drive out on the beach, which I always find fun.
    --
    This time last year I would have recommended looking into the Columbia River Gorge area, but since the fire last summer, I'm not sure of the conditions in that area. :(
    --
    I'd also suggest looking into the area near Mt. St Helens. We've not camped in that area, but have done a couple of day trips. If you have not been there, I think it's definitely worth a visit.
    DSCN7907.JPG
    --
    My last suggestion would be the area in and around Mt. Rainier National Park. We have stayed in several of the National Forest campgrounds in the area, which do not have flush toilets (and may or may not have been affected by last year's fires). There are CGs in the park, though I can't give any personal experiences with those.
    DSCN2030.JPG IMG_3945.JPG

drgiese likes this.
  5. drgiese

drgiese Active Member

--
    I'd also suggest looking into the area near Mt. St Helens. We've not camped in that area, but have done a couple of day trips. If you have not been there, I think it's definitely worth a visit.
    View attachment 36880
    --
    My last suggestion would be the area in and around Mt. Rainier National Park. We have stayed in several of the National Forest campgrounds in the area, which do not have flush toilets (and may or may not have been affected by last year's fires). There are CGs in the park, though I can't give any personal experiences with those.
    View attachment 36881 View attachment 36882 [/QUOTE]

Yes, we're looking at both those areas - they are so beautiful! Mt. St. Helens is interesting to me because I clearly remember when it erupted - it was such a huge news item (at least to my 10 year-old self it was) and I'd like to see it for myself. Definitely prefer flush toilets, but we can deal with vault for a day or 2.

6. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

My aunt and uncle routinely stay at Elk meadows RV park near Mount St Helens. They can’t say enough good things about it. (It’s not just cabins, that’s just what the link seems to be showing)

http://www.elkmeadowsrvpark.com/cabins.html

15 years ago I had a ton of fun hiking the Ape Caves lava tubes.