Where to find AC Roof Braces?

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Johnny5, Aug 23, 2021.

1. Johnny5

Johnny5 New Member

2005 Fleetwood Mojave E2

I currently have 1 roof brace in front of the AC. The roof is sagging behind the AC unit. I should be good if I can install another brace behind it. Unfortunately, I have had no luck sourcing another roof brace. One place had a used one for $300 - Crazy money for a 76" piece of metal.

Any suggestions?

2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

Many people add one inside using unistrut from a big box store.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. Johnny5

Johnny5 New Member

I have been reading about that. There would be no curve to it though. I guess a flat roof is better than a sagging roof. I just cant believe nobody has theAC roof bracket for sale.

4. Tarkus

Tarkus Member

5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

What roof do you have? As pictured, most sag in abs or if not having the recomended brace for the ac. Is it an aftermarked ac someone installed? Or could your roof have water damage? I would want to find put the cause before fixing anything. The abs ones sagged, because there foam and have no other struture. So they heat up and bend. Some more then others. One brace is usally good to fix it. Some add the second because they dont want any problums down the road or removed the abs that added some structure.

Tarkus likes this.
  6. Johnny5

Johnny5 New Member

It is the single sheet aluminum roof. I just got the camper last weekend. There are no stains on the ceiling. I bought it from the 2nd owner and he said it was already installed when he bought it a couple years ago. It has a Coleman Mach 13.5k AC. Here is a pic of the same camper I have. I dont have a picture of mine....

Attached Files:

7. theseus

theseus Living the Darkside...

8. Sjm9911

To me that small of a camper shouldn't need 2 roof braces. Take some pictures of the sag, all sides. Top and bottom. Thanks.

theseus likes this.
  9. Johnny5

Johnny5 New Member

It is hard to tell from these pictures, but lagbolt in front of the level should give you an idea. The inside looks normal. Don' IMG_8144.JPG IMG_8143.JPG t have time to pop it up for pictures tonight...

10. theseus

theseus Living the Darkside...

So does water puddle there?

Sjm9911 likes this.
  11. Sjm9911

Ac looks way off also. I dont think mine is straight but it definitely isnt that off. Almost like they tightened one end first, then the other, instead of evenly. Level looks on the money, and yea i see a slight dip. Ac is like 1 1/2 inches high in the front, maybe more. Maybe its normal, im not really sure. But it sure looks out of wack.

12. Sjm9911

The dip dosent look bad at all. As long as water isnt getting in, i would re do the ac and the ac seal and try to ballance the load a bit better. Maybe try to find some more ac pictures from the side to see if the tilt is normal.

13. Sjm9911

I can check mine in the am on the TT to see , if i have time and remember. Loading up for a trip, and lots of other crap to do.

14. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

You can always add a wood profile, on top of the unistrut, to make the profile you need.

15. Johnny5

Johnny5 New Member

the AC (or at least the cover) is definitely tilted to the back. It is far from level like my previous popups. I thought it was just the cover, maybe not. It has not rained since I got it, but I am certain water will pool up. I think it definitely needs to be reinforced considering we do 100% boondocking in rough terrain. The AC bouncing up and down on the roof makes me nervous since it is already sagging. I guess Im going to go with unistrut. Im not paying $300 for a used factory brace. that's crazy expensive.

16. Tarkus

Tarkus Member

Any luck finding a brace?