Where to find boondocking spots?

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by packofwises, Dec 31, 2012.

1. packofwises

packofwises New Member

How do you come across boondocking spots.? We have a national forest a few miles down the road but I am unaware of any "camping" spots they have. How do you find these free boondocking spots?

2. Rodger D.

Rodger D. New Member

3. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

In most national forests you can camp pretty much wherever you want, hence the name "dispersed camping." There aren't any "spots" in the sense of a pre-prepared area with any sort of support items like tables, toilets or fire rings. You just go out in the wilderness and find a place you like. That's where you set up. You have nothing but what you brought along.

Stop into or call the national forest's office to get road and topographic maps. Ask if there are any current restrictions because sometimes they have areas off limits due to logging activity, species regeneration, etc. Also, there are usually standing rules about how close to a road or watercourse you can camp. Then just go out and drive around, looking for a place you like. Sometimes the people in the office can offer tips about where to go.

When I went from a tent to a trailer I reduced the number of places I could boondock because, obviously, there are fewer places I can get into with a trailer. When I went from a 10-foot trailer to a 19-foot one I reduced my possibilities more. I currently have pretty good luck using old logging landings because they were made large enough for logging trucks to turn around. After I set up camp I like to scout the area without the trailer (for places to camp in the future) in case I get into a spot where it would be difficult or impossible to turn around with it.

4. packofwises

packofwises New Member

I found some spots!! I can't believe that we have some spots within 10 miles of my home. I have lived here for 39 years and did not know about Kistler Memorial Hwy in Pisgah National Forest in Linville Falls, NC. Thanks to whoever posted about it in the NC Campgrounds post. Thank You!!!

5. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Are they spots or sites? That is a question at our CG, the Office people call them spots and we in Maintenance refer to them as sites [?]
    Thats awesome packofwises, can't find free camping that close to Home. [8D]

6. packofwises

packofwises New Member

Some have a fire ring that someone has made, some have not. To me it looks like someone or the forestry service has made little roads back into the woods to make spots. There are some big ones that would fit a whole gang of PUPs and then there are some that look like a tent would barely fit. You also have to be careful of the "driveway" into them. Some have big ditches that would drag when leaving or entering them. The drive in is fabulous! Some of the views are awesome of Linville Gorge and Lake James.

7. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Glad you are enjoying it...dispersed camping is my favorite

8. Kutseena

Kutseena Running with the wolves

[SUN] Here in New Mexico we camp on BLM or National Forest lands.

9. Popup Sailor

Popup Sailor New Member

Take a look at www.freecampsites.net They have maps with locations of free camping in what looks to be every state.

10. mkaczala

mkaczala Member

I see it refrenced a lot on here what does BLM stand for?

11. Jimbow

Jimbow Active Member

Bureau of Land Management

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

12. Dust Devil

Dust Devil Member

BLM is the Bureau of Land Management. Mostly they manage federal lands out here in the wide open west. Not a lot back east. However, you can go to Recreation.gov to see what is available federally in New York. Mostly lakes, wilderness areas, monuments, etc. Only places I see for camping with RVs is Camp Gateway (thought Sandy may have affected that) and Almond Lake.

13. mkaczala

mkaczala Member

thanks for the info. To the best of my knowledge boondocking is not very common here in the northeast. I often look at pictures posted on this forum of people boondocking and am amazed. That would be so cool. We like to camp in state campgrounds with no hookups but the closet person is usually about 40' away so not very secluded. I guess that is not such a bad thing because I think if we saw a wolf or bear I would cry like a little girl. [:D]

14. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I don't mind seeing wildlife, assuming a good distance. We don't boondock, might choose to do someday, maybe not. However, there are critters in campgrounds too, especially where people have not been practicing good habits. Raccoons had become a problem in one of the NY state parks we visited a few years back. At one of our favorite campgrounds in Colorado, there had been a bear on occasion when we were there the last two years. It improved when new bear-resistant dumpsters were installed, but some campers still had an interesting idea of what "keep a clean camp and store food-related items away" meant.
    I saw this guy on the road in CO just before Labor Day, after leaving DH at a trailhead to do a backpack, but from the safety of the 4Runner, it was neat:
    [​IMG]
    bear on road from Blue Lakes TH by kitphantom, on Flickr

15. 4xMeteor

4xMeteor Active Member

Im in CA, we just drive until we find a nice spot- and thats were we setup.

16. unsinkable

unsinkable New Member

Dry Camping in Ontario (Canada)

Apparently you can dry camp on Crown Land in Canada. We need to be close to Toronto to visit family there. I can't find a map that I can figure out anywhere online [:(] If anyone knows about spots near Toronto to "boondock" we would be very grateful. Thanks, and happy trails :) Karen

17. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

yes, we camp. on sites or spots? Which is it? [8D]

18. woodsters

woodsters New Member

Where is this post you are referring to?

19. hootn

hootn Member

i know in the talladega national forest around, centerville, al and mapelsville they have hunters camps. now during deer season i wouldnt be caught near one. however during turkey season it seems like me and a few buddies are the only ones that camp in the area we hunt. we have been tent camping there the last few years,.
    now being a new to me pup owner and the main raeson i got this camper the ground and airmatteres were getting old. seems like i can take down the pup and have everything packed and on the move in about 20 minutes(havent tried it yet0 instead of rolling up tent and junk.
    we have to bring our own water in, maybe now the 4 runner wont be crammerd with camping stuff on the way home.

scott

20. ridefast84

ridefast84 New Member

Get yourself a national forest service map that has the forest roads on it. They are less than $10 at the ranger station or national forest office! All the partiers usually dont buy thest and pull into the same well known spots leaving the "off the map" spots for you.