Where To Find Free Wi-Fi On The Road

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by PopUpSteve, Jul 29, 2010.

1. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

When you are on the road and you need to get your daily fix of PopUpPortal.com, you may need to find a local Internet connection. Companies with multiple locations like Panera Bread, Barnes & Noble, Starbucks and McDonald's are alway a good bet for finding free Wi-Fi. Beyond those, here's a great website that lists many other locations that also offer free Wi-Fi.

http://wififreespot.com

Best to print the list for the areas you will be visiting since you won't be able to access the website to find a location until you get to a location that has an Internet connection.

2. Hardee5

Hardee5 New Member

Don't forget to check the local libraries!
    (You're already paying for it, you might as well use it :) )

3. misnuga

misnuga New Member

All McDonald's restaurants have free Wi-Fi

4. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

Illinois rest areas have wifi. As do many in Iowa.

5. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Here's an interesting article that I just came across. It seems that wi-fi in campgrounds that have trees may not be such a good idea.

Wi-Fi Killing Trees

6. Need2Travel

Need2Travel Rhode Island

Since it was brought up, here is one (of many) countering point article to the above mentioned one Is Wi-Fi killing trees? Almost certainly not. Next question

I'll add that I go camping to get away from being wired/connected to all the technology that is such a huge part of daily living (& for me all the more, IT data/wifi is my business - it pays for my camping trips!) - so either way I'm good with not having Wi-Fi at any campground [CP]

Of course there are always those times that even during the getting away the need to connect arises so sites like http://wififreespot.com can be helpful for planning ahead for those times. Now if we could just get the wireless cell phone carriers to give an accurate mapping of the areas service is actually available! (Climb to top of large rock in field #3, stand on one foot while looking east and you can get 2 bar level service for 15 minutes prior to dusk or dawn.)

7. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I'm not strongly invested in the first article; I just thought it was interesting. The second article may be right but I do get nervous when I read that scientists say, "there is nothing to worry about." I've heard that many times before and it turned out to be wrong. On-going research discovers new facts or causes us to change ideas about previously known things. For example, asbestos and smoking were just fine at one point. Back in the '50s doctors even advertised cigarettes on TV. Remember Thalidomide? It was fine until pregnant women who took it gave birth to horribly deformed babies. I could go on with many, many more but you get the point. I'm willing to agree that there isn't enough research to answer the wi-fi question either way but but I'm not will to agree that "there is nothing to worry about."

8. samtgrizz

samtgrizz New Member

Borders, Barns & Nobles and many Starbucks all have free wi-fi and many local coffee houses also provide free wi-fi.

9. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

For wifi to kill trees it would need to be the only signal in the 2.4 ghz band and it isn't so if trees are dying chances are we all are with cordless (not cell) and 2.4 ghz baby monitors not to mention all the DIY 2.4 ghz "security" cameras. The point was made that old information is updated with new research...that is the basis of science there is never anything settled and when people start talking about a "unanimous consensus" like they did on "global cooling/warming/ now cooling oh the hell with it lets just say climate change" that's when I begin screaming BS. If everyone agrees on something than everyone quit looking.

10. bflentje

bflentje Member

Besides, if you want to worry about radio waves killing things, DO worry about cell phone usage and the towers popping up every other mile. NOT that I am convinced either way, but cell broadcasts fill up a heck of a lot more space than wifi ever has.

11. windstar

windstar New Member

I use my iphone to scan for wifi places.